SunwayLED
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW: Web Coil tethers with stainless steel connectors

Default NEW: Web Coil tethers with stainless steel connectors

6-7-13
    Hi guys,
    The titanium versions as described below are now history but I do have these web coil tethers back on hand using stainless steel clip and split ring instead. They look like the tethers pictured below but to keep things simple, black is the only color available.
    The web coil tether is $30 and if you want it with a swivel, it is $35. Postage is additional.

These tethers are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: Web Coil Tether (w/ swivel option if desired)
    Your CPF name
    (if you have one)
    Your real name and mailing address
    phone number if international shipment
    Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
    If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD.

Original POST no longer viable in terms of what is offered:

Hi guys,

This offering is a first of its kind from me. As some of you know, I have a line of stainless steel clips and some titanium clips and split rings which are available from some of our friendly CPF dealers. Aside from some flashlight waves, I don't sell anything direct to you guys.

A number of years ago, I came up with a design for tubular webbing covered tethers which have urethane coil cores. I also came up some simple tools allowing one to make these assemblies. I passed the idea and design over to my friends at Cetacea. They have had some limited success in distributing these through various dealers.

I have received custom tethers from them through the years for my own use and once I got my hands on the titanium clips and split rings, I had to get some tethers made up with them. I have been using these in the ocean for gear tethers, camera straps and even tethers to my wave skis and surf skis.

I did some trading with Cetacea and now have way more of these tethers than I could ever use or dole out to friends and family.

So I figure I will offer some to you guys should any of you be interested.

You can also request the 1/4'x20 swivel option for use with cameras or other devices that attach to a 1/4"x20 stud. The swivels are a custom version from Sampo that I had made for me. They are nickle plated brass with stainless steel ball bearings. Below is a quick and lame shot I got of one attached to an Olympus point and shoot hanging around my neck:

Last edited by McGizmo; 06-07-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Black tethers in stainless now on hand
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Talking ..

Last edited by Tim W; 12-18-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Default Re: Web Coil tethers with titanium connectors

Hi
    I will take one black tether with swivel please.
    thanks
    paypal sent
    Last edited by scintillator; 12-18-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: paypal sent

I'll take a blue and a red one!

Please add a foam ring for my beloved Sapphire...

Thanks,

Thierry

(as soon as I'll have the right amount)
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Is it possible to buy just the swivel?? Pleeeeeeeease. Ive been looking for one of these for so long...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuso View Post
    Is it possible to buy just the swivel?? Pleeeeeeeease. Ive been looking for one of these for so long...
    Contact me by e-mail.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

How long would the tethers be? 20"
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    How long would the tethers be? 20"
    Thanks
    Fully extended, from inside bearing surface of clip to inside bearing surface of split ring is 45". You can put one of these around your waist comfortably provide your girth is in the 26"-38" range. Relaxed, the length is 12.5" from the same measure points.

The weak link here is the Ti split ring. The tether itself (1/2" tubular webbing) is probably good for 500 lbs. I had one attached to a Mikita 18V drill while up on a ladder and accidentally dropped the drill. Fortunately I was higher up from the ground than the tether length and no damage. The tether went from the drill to the utility belt I was wearing at the time.

The other night, I had one around my head as a head band with a AAA light on the split ring and I wove it through a coil and was able to aim it where I wanted it as a make shift head lamp.

Don, is the Ti clip and split ring made by Mizumoto Machine Mfg.?

Will you be offering these in a SS version?

Thanks,
    TB

Quote Originally Posted by TranquillityBase View Post
    Don, is the Ti clip and split ring made by Mizumoto Machine Mfg.?

Will you be offering these in a SS version?

Thanks,
    TB
    The Ti clips and split rings were made for me by a factory which I have recently been informed is now closed.

I approached Mizumoto a number of years back to partner with me on a series of stainless clips and we have had a good relationship regarding these. They were not the source for these titanium parts. Stainless split rings can be had domestically with no problem. I have considered the 45 mm clip in stainless but not pursued it to date. If I can't find a new source for titanium, this might change.

Candidly, I am not real interested in discussing my sources on an open public forum for possibly obvious reasons.

Enlightened

Many thanks Don for your prompt dispatch of the items I ordered- black web coil tether with swivel + extra swivel.
    Transaction ID #3RH87139SS162025H.

Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    The Ti clips and split rings were made for me by a factory which I have recently been informed is now closed.
    Bummer.....
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Flashaholic

Thanks Don!

Unique Transaction ID #1M333658708271344

Paypal sent for a black tether.

Thank you
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

Whoa ... almost missed this. I am getting old. E-Mail inbound ...
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by dcaprilia View Post
    Paypal sent for a black tether.

Thank you
    Good thing you specified black here because you didn't in the e-mail.

Mine showed up today. These are going to see a lot of use.

I didn't notice the o-ring on the swivel in your pics, but that is an improvement the camera industry could learn from. Excellent idea!

Most of the time, I'll be using it as a belt loop tether or wrist strap, but it's perfect for my Nikon P&S. Weighing just under 10oz, it hangs mid-chest. Anything lighter than that and it would look like a choker on my 21" neck. I hasten to add, chokers don't look good on me!

Seriously, these are beefy and built great. Thanks for letting a few of these go, Don!
    Last edited by Codeman; 12-24-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Cool Ray. Can we expect some pics of the choker?

As much as it pains me to disappoint you, since it's Christmas, I better not. I'd hate to scare the kids!
    Ray

Unique Transaction ID #3DJ41217FP9913255

Thanks also, Don!

--Jason

I have a stainless version of this setup and it is one of the BEST tethers out there. An absolute killer setup.

For one black Web Coil Tether with the swivel
    Many thanks

Mike

Enlightened

Coil tether and swivel arrived today. Many thanks Ray I am delighted with it. I is well made and the 1/4 swivel will have many uses.

Flashaholic

Don,

Shouldn't the name for these have been the McLeash?

Thanks... I'll be here all night.

Email sent for one (along with a Sapphire 25... the Haiku needs a little brother!).

Simon520,

I used to make surfboard leashes for friends in college and that name stuck to me for a while back then.

And for good reason. It's a catchy name.

Just got my leash yesterday and I like it quite a bit. Serious bit of gear
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Are there already some tethers Don?

Are the shipping cost also about 12.78$ like with the falshlights you send me?

HI Toby,
    Yes, I still have a good number of these and they fit in the international priority flat rate box ($12.78).

Email sent...