Canadian law prohibits surefire parts?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
I recently had made a purchase on cpfm for a surefire m6 body. Shipped out on the 2nd of december and its still not here.

does the CBSA consider certain flashlights prohibited? i know it can be deemed a weapon, especially if it has the marking "weapons light series".
can anyone shed some light on my situation?

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which country is it coming from?

I remember one order of mine from SE Asia took the better part of three weeks because it was being held up in Customs.Legally they can hold it for a certain number of working days(5-10 I think???)

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
Which country is it coming from?

I remember one order of mine from SE Asia took the better part of three weeks because it was being held up in Customs.Legally they can hold it for a certain number of working days(5-10 I think???)

its coming from ohio USA.
my order from lumens factory from a week ago is here already. and that came from overseas.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Customs do nothing but tax you, tax you, ripp you off (basicly the same), destroy your property, steal your property, loose your packages and delay your packages. That's about it.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I had bought an A2 through CPFM from the US about 1.5 years ago. I don't remember having any difficulties.

This is not really related, but on orders that take longer than I would expect, I would have a passing thought that maybe customs agents are flashaholics and they pass around my lights to do beamshots in the warehouse for a few days. ;)

computernut

Enlightened
I've had Surefire lights purchased off CFMP take 2 weeks or a bit more depending on the shipping method (usually USPS). If it says 7-10 business days, it's usually 10-12 actual business days which excludes weekends. I've had one package opened by Canadian customs but never any problems other than paying taxes.

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that it's the holiday season and the number of packages they need to "inspect" is much greater than usual. They're probably just really backed up. If they've kept it, they'll send you a letter letting you know (happened to me with some cr123s I ordered).

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
its coming from ohio USA.
my order from lumens factory from a week ago is here already. and that came from overseas.
From personal experience, I have found that items coming from Hong Kong arrive in Canada about twice as fast as items coming from the US.

I normally see items from the US in about 12 days after ordering, HK in about 6.

I have no idea why, but that's been my experience over the last year and a half.

Also keep in mind that there is significantly more mail in the US and Canadian postal systems right now due to Christmas deliveries, etc.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW, I have hit/miss experiences shipping and receiving items across the Canadian / US border. 2/5 experiences in total I either received and empty box or the recipient received an empty box.

You can take this information and interpret it however you please... I am merely reporting the facts in my experience(s)

Do you have a tracking number? Start with that, and see where your package is at.

Good Luck!!

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
If your items (ANY item) gets snagged by CBSA then you can add 2 ADDITIONAL weeks to your shipping time, during the holiday season I would bet probably closer to 3.

The ONLY way to even partly increase customs times are companies like UPS... and you certainly pay for it in the end.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Not sure where you are located, but customs tends to be very slow for me. I've heard that the customs place in Richmond is kind of known for this...

to_fire

Newly Enlightened
Both my M6s were shipped up from the U.S. using their regular parcel post (not UPS, etc). Both lights took 3 weeks (15 business days) to arrive. My Seraph P7 head took 2.5 weeks to arrive. All were charged pst/gst/handling fee, but no duty taxes. Given the time of year, I would expect your light to arrive in the next 2 weeks.
Is there a tracking #?
p.s. Happy Holidays!

brianch

Enlightened
Technically US dealers are not allowed to ship Surefire lights to Canadians. I have had lights taken from me before. It is hit or miss.

savumaki

Enlightened
I would not even check the mail (from the US) for at least two weeks and certainly more during the holiday season.
Being a part I don't imagine you'll have any problems (other than the time).

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be fine. It'll take a long time, but you're order will arrive OK.
There are far more things shipped that maybe shouldn't be to have a simple metal flashlight be ruled illegal.

sfca

Enlightened
Technically US dealers are not allowed to ship Surefire lights to Canadians. I have had lights taken from me before. It is hit or miss.

How did they do this and which department did this?

I know they have a restricted items list, but Surefire flashlights cannot be among them.
Usually when I find a US dealer the order page just won't let me order Surefire products at all.

Anyways, regarding the original poster
- I had a package in November that took 2 weeks from the states... with PRIORITY!

-------------------

You're not in Vancouver or on the West coast are you?

The Olympics are 2 months away and there's good reason for border services to be on higher alert.
They're already rolling out the security plans for Vancouver bit-by-bit.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Very often the manufacturer prohibits it's dealers from selling to foreign nations.
That's the case with ThinkPad notebooks. I like ThinkPads, but I'm not gonna pay €3000 ($4300) for something that is $1300 in the US. So I called up some dealers in the USA and a lot of them said: "We do ship international. However, we are not allowed to sell ThinkPads to our foreign customers"
Anyway: There is always some webshop that doesn't stick to such ridiculous rules, so I still got my ThinkPad. With the English Windows.

If you look on eBay, there is also a seller that claims he is -due to regulations- not allowed to sell Maglites to Germany.

Anyway: That customs add WEEKS, no matter what, sounds familiar. I've given them a call here some time ago. When I complained about the added weeks, they said "Then you should have upgraded to priority mail." So I replied: "So unless I pay you guys and the carrier off with buying priority delivery you keep the packages a lot longer?" Sure they got pissed :hitit:

Anyway: For the more expensive stuff (lenses, boatload of batteries) I use FedEx. Yeah, you pay more, but you get your package unopened, within a few days and receive a orderly request to pay taxes the next week in the mail.

Last package these frckng customs calculated everything as DVD's (only 1 DVD in package...): 19% VAT + 3.5% additional fine. The vast bulk of the package were books...: 6% VAT. :tired:

So my conclusion is: a lot of times I'm more then willing to pay the premium for FedEx.

For the HK stuff: Yeah, it's amazing what they can put in an enveloppe with "$5, gift" on it :devil:. Regular HK enveloppes don't get checked either here.

sfca

Enlightened
How did they do this and which department did this?

No what I meant was what department of border services did this and how?

If you read, it sounds like his flashlights were confiscated because they were Surefires shipped from US dealers.

That's hard to believe. That's... illegal!

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
The Olympics are 2 months away and there's good reason for border services to be on higher alert.
They're already rolling out the security plans for Vancouver bit-by-bit.

actually i live in vancouver. My house is border line to the richmond area.
I also happen to be applying for accredititation for the 2010 olympic. (i was turned down, but i'm appealing)

Status
Not open for further replies.