i want to convert old fulton angled incan into an led. how?...

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am a newby to hi powered lights but i have built some tube amps in the past so i have some electronics exp and i can solder very well. i would love to make this my first mod. i want to turn the old fulton mx991/u angle head light from incan to led. anyone know how it could be done and what parts i would need? if someone has done one before i would love to hear from them or a link on how to would be great. :twothumbs

Brownstone

Enlightened
I think that uses a standard PR6 bulb. You just need a drop-in LED replacement, no soldering required, unless you had something more fancy in mind.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do i know which drop in would fit? sorry to ask alot but i would like to learn more. what about voltages and battery sizes? do the drop in's have dia sizes too? thanks

pmoore

Newly Enlightened
I assume this is a two cell light you are working with. There are a couple of MAG replacement led drop-ins that work with the 2-3 cell lights. This would be the easiest way to convert.

Paul

Brownstone

Enlightened
how do i know which drop in would fit? sorry to ask alot but i would like to learn more. what about voltages and battery sizes? do the drop in's have dia sizes too? thanks

To the best of my knowledge, the Fulton light you are talking about uses 2x D cell batteries and a standard PR6 sized bulb.

2x D cells put out a nominal 3 volts (1.5 volts each) but more practically you should consider the voltage output to be a range from 2.4 volts to 3.2 volts (or thereabout).

So what you are looking for is a PR-6 sized LED bulb replacement that can handle input voltage in the 2.4 V to 3.2 V range.

There are probably a dozen companies that manufacture products that will fit this description. Take your pick. I've been down this path (of upgrading PR6 flashlights with LED bulbs) and have only run into two issues.

1: Maglite makes a LED drop-in for people who want to upgrade their old incandescent flashlights. The drop-in is slightly larger than a standard PR-6 bulb since it was designed specifically to fit the socket in a Maglite. It doesn't fit 100% of flashlights.

2: I've found that every different drop-in I've tried produces a different throw pattern. The actual output you get is a combination of that throw and your flashlight's reflector. Some combinations are really ringy, others look nice. No way to know what works best for you until you try it.

It is a little out of date, but here is a good thread to read:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

JamisonM

Enlightened
Dorcy sells an LED drop-in for flashlights that use a PR bulb. I bought one and swapped out the luxeon I for a seoul P4 and it increased output nicely. It's easy since the wires are exposed and they're plenty long. I've since sold the modified drop-in, but I had planed that I may upgrade it with an XP-G later. The only problem would be focusing. I have no idea how high the LED would have to sit in the reflector to focus properly.
3913242552_f79cba5daa.jpg

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for replying guys. i do like the picture of it installed in the light. you guys have givin me a great start and i shall persue them all. you see, a good friend of mine was in the vietnam war and i thought it would be cool to give him one of those lights but with much more brightness than what they used in the war. and myself would love one too. if you have any more, i'd love to hear em. i wish you all a nice xmas.:wave:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just went to the fulton site and unless i missed it, i checked all their lights and couldnt find an led one. i do like the black n47 also. maybe i'll do an army green and a black one. only 17 bucks brand new. nice. thanks you guys for helping a newby brother out.

update...just emailed them about a ready made light. will let you guys know the answer in case anyone else is interested in this project.

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey vinniec5, i noticed the camo model is 27.00 and the rest are only 17.00. did you order it thru fulton? they give no info on it. how bright is it and what is the runtime? thanks

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I ordered mine on *bay at Armed Forces Supply store. I think i paid 29.99 for mine with free shipping. Its not blinding bright but def 3-4 times as bright as the incan bulb. Runtime is easy 4-5 times as long as the incan and stays bright too

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just went to the armed forces website and ordered a mini version od green angled light, 6.99 plus shipping. takes 2xaa with 4 spare lenses and a spare krypton bulb. maybe a little upgrading to that one also. stands 6 in tall. never seen a mini version before. kinda cool. didnt see reg version, i will go to their ebay store and have a look see.

Conte

Enlightened
1: Maglite makes a LED drop-in for people who want to upgrade their old incandescent flashlights. The drop-in is slightly larger than a standard PR-6 bulb since it was designed specifically to fit the socket in a Maglite. It doesn't fit 100% of flashlights.

This actually works very well in a Fulton.

It's a tight fit at first, but with a little persistence, it'll just snap into place and stay put. You might have to fiddle with its rotational position to make a good positive contact, or even put a bead of solder on the end of the LED modual, but it works, I've done it.

In Canada, they sold the Mag Led at any "Canadian Tire" a hardware store chain we have here, that is common. So it is easy to get a Magled whereas everything else would be special order.

Anything more advanced then that, you'd have to ask one of the Ledheads, I'm an incan guy. I'll tell you to drop an HPR44 and a couple of 26650 Lifepo4 cells in there.

The 3rd one is Mag-Led loaded. I can post more pics of it if you want.

DSCN2498.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hey, how did you get an Angle-head 2-D flashlight in ORANGE ? ? ?

Is it a Fulton ?

:confused:

Edited to add:

Nevermind. I followed the Link above, and discovered this Orange one is a knock-off copy.

Forget it. :thumbsdow

End edit.
_

Last edited:

flashnight

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to do this same mod myself. I bought a few fulton flashlights from an army & navy store that went out of business for real cheap, still in their boxes. Anyway I bought the mag led upgrade bulb at wallymart a few days ago and it does not fit exactly. It will require a bit of careful modding to make it work as it is larger than the stock incan bulb it replaces. You can carefully drill out the hole and plastic housing that holds it in place. However, the beam it produces is all flood, no focused spot. Cool to bring the old light up to the 21st century but still wanting for something a bit brighter.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
conte, that led maglite looks nice and bright. thats a cool picture of them. something about those lights. when i remember them it was in the late 60's. pops used to bring them home and although they werent the brightest lights, they sure were fun to play with. the different colored lenses added to the fun. i think im gonna like this mod. i will check out the mag site. :thumbsup: