How good is the cabellas 12 led lantern

mpteach

Enlightened
How good is the cabellas 12 led lantern? Better or worse than the rayovac extreme?

filibuster

Enlightened
The Cabelas closest to me has all their lanterns hanging above the "light racks" and I pulled them all down one at a time to look at and compare them to the ROV 3D LED lantern I have at home. None of the lanterns they had there matched in my opinion what the Rayovac Extreme lantern offers by way of brightness and usefulness.

The 12 LED lantern itself is built well enough but even at the $20 sale price, I'd rather have my Rayovac 3D lantern for ~$10 more. The ROV is much brighter than this lantern and those like it.

The 12 LED lantern I looked at also has a remote control, it's a nice feature but it will also drain your batteries while in storage. The functionality that makes the remote work needs to have a constant power source applied in order to turn the light on when the remote is used. I think this would apply to all lanterns with such functionality. The power draw is likely minimal but the lantern draws this extra power whether the light is on or off.

To be fair, the ROV does have a blinking beacon light which can drain the batteries too while in storage.

Last edited:

mpteach

Enlightened
Yeah thats what i thought. I ordered the rayovac extreme yesterday on amazon. $4 1day shipping shipping since i have a prime membership. Im going to cabelas tonight to buy other stuff, so i guess i'll just save my time looking at it. The remote control is a gimmick. Good point about it wasting batteries. How much power does the rayovac indicator light use?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a remote controlled 12x5mm LED lantern I bought for modding with a high output LED and IMO the sylvania 4AA lantern has a lot better output. The remote on this lantern uses ag13 button cells and is rather cheap in quality sometimes you have to press it several times to get it to work. 5mm led based lanterns IMO should be pocket sized as the output is unacceptable for the size and usage of so many D cells when crees and rebel LEDs are mainstream now.

mpteach

Enlightened
how long is the flash and how much current does your cheap meter say it draw between flashes?

mpteach

Enlightened
I just got the ROV at my door! this is a nice lantern! way better than my old coleman. My grandmother will love it. Wish the tint was warmer and that i didnt have to carefully cut out only the bottom of the clamshell packaging and then yank bend and twist it out lol.

What are the real runtimes?? im sure by 150hrs its dimmer than a match.

Last edited:

filibuster

Enlightened
how long is the flash and how much current does your cheap meter say it draw between flashes?
The meter would register .001 sporadically as the green LED would pulse on for what I'm guessing is a 1/10th of a second. Sporadically means that it wouldn't register .001 every time it pulsed but it would register 001 every 2 to 4 times the pulse occurred. For my meter 1 milliamp (.001) is the lowest it goes.