How to spot a fake Surefire?

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!
Long time reader, first time poster. :wave:

I had a G2 for a long time and we go way back. Saved me and others a few times but someone took it from me. :eek: I was living in Asia at the time.

I got another one after that from eBay (I know, I know, not the best place but I could not get a hold of a SF for a reasonable price where I am now).

When it arrived it looked a bit different and I could spot plenty of imperfections in the new one. (have some pics)

Does any one know how to spot a fake?

I wasn't that impressed so I returned it to the seller and after reading a bit here I ordered a C2 HA and a LF D26 which haven't arrived yet.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please post the pictures you took of the flashlight, and we should be able to help you :)

I'm aware of a number of fake/imitation SureFire products, but I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a fake G2.

Regards,
Tempest

EDIT - and welcome to CPF! :welcome:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The injection mold tooling $ investment would probably be more than most cloners would be willing to pay, even soft tooling. But theres always a first.

post pics if you got em, I have never seen a fake G2 but theres always a first.

Usually with ebay sellers, customers can sniff out the counterfeit items. If the seller has any feedback history of selling counterfeits, it will be archived in his history profile. Start there, if he has no history of clone products chances are in your favor.

TriChrome

Enlightened
The injection mold tooling $ investment would probably be more than most cloners would be willing to pay, even soft tooling. But theres always a first.
Don't underestimate the Chinese. I come from a long background of upgrading/modding/customizing Airsoft rifles for years and years now. They used to only be precision and quality made in Japan, but for the last 3-4 years you wouldn't believe how far the Chinese (and some Hong Kong/Taiwan companies as well) have come with cloning nearly every single real gun manufacturer's (Vltor, Magpul, Daniel Defense, Troy, Noveske, Lewis Machine and Tool, etc. etc. etc.) rails, sights, mounts, stocks, scopes, lights/lasers, really everything.

And to the untrained eye they look exactly like the real thing, complete with identical trademarks, manuals, packaging, for about a tenth to a quarter of the price. You really have to know what you're looking at, and own the real thing in many cases to tell the difference.

The clones you're likely to see of Surefire products specifically (maybe not the G2 line, but their tactical weapon lights for sure) are meant to sell to the Airsoft crowd first and foremost since we're one of the select few groups who even know what Surefire is (besides my fellow flashaholics, LEO's, and military).

Last edited:

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
I'm aware of a number of fake/imitation SureFire products, but I don't think I've ever heard of or seen a fake G2.

I have seen several fake ("replica") SureFire G2's on a local auction website. :shakehead I'm guessing they are from the same source as the fake SureFire L6 porcupines (I believe the maker is "Fire Kylin" or "Land Arms" or similar). I cannot comment on the quality of the G2's, as I have never seen one in person.
(Sorry, I couldn't find any pics right now.)

rje58

Enlightened
Are Surefire C2 Centurions frequently faked? I've seen some of those being offered "New but no retail package or documentation" at some pretty attractive prices, and can't help but wonder if they are counterfeit or ???

Any ideas on what specifically to look for on C2's?

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
I will admit i do own a surefire clone. However, its the L6 Porcupine clone. Other than that one, I have never seen other replicas in person. But from what i read online and read, here is a list of things:
- Serial Numbers, surefires will start with "A" then followed by a series of numbers
- Lamp assemblies, if it doesn't fit surefire LA and requires a "special" one than it's a fake.
- LED versions of the weapons light series (m9xx series, even some milleniums), unless modified by the end user

if anyone can add or correct me on my thing is welcomed. i'm pretty sure i've missed a lot of other details.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It can be hard to spot a fake one sometimes. I prefer to eliminate the chance of getting a fake one by buying new Surefires from Authorized Dealers, or buying from CPFers with established reputations by visting the CPF MarketPlace.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Please post the pictures you took of the flashlight, and we should be able to help you :)

Regards,
Tempest

EDIT - and welcome to CPF! :welcome:

Thanks mate!

Here are the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/almquist.christian/SFG2?feat=directlink

My old did not have any of these marks what so ever. And the ring in front of the window looked a lot different. The old one had no dents in it. Might be an older version but the weird thing is that I have never seen a G2 without the dents in the ring. But then again, I'm a bit of a noob here! =)

Well, the C2 is still in transit to me. Can´t wait! :)

Dez

Newly Enlightened
It can be hard to spot a fake one sometimes. I prefer to eliminate the chance of getting a fake one by buying new Surefires from Authorized Dealers, or buying from CPFers with established reputations by visting the CPF MarketPlace.

True but I live in Sweden and the C2 from the dealer is just under 400 USD.
Not really worth it..
Will check the marketplace next time but I like the smell of a new surefire! =) (who doesn't? ) Its better than the new car smell! :D

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Are Surefire C2 Centurions frequently faked? I've seen some of those being offered "New but no retail package or documentation" at some pretty attractive prices, and can't help but wonder if they are counterfeit or ???

Any ideas on what specifically to look for on C2's?

While living in Thailand I spotted many lights labeled Surefire. Some looked like UltraFires or just odd. Some looked real but considering the pricetag I doubt they where real..

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, from your pics that looks like the real deal. I think the newer G2's have the 6-point lens retainer ring that you show in the pictures. Although, now that I think about it, I think mine does too.

My G2 I purchased from Wilson Combat... 6 or 7 years ago?
It had the Non-Lockout Tailcap (since replaced with a G2Z tailcap)
but I think it also had the 6-point ring.... Ah, here we go...

00049.jpg

00048.jpg

00046.jpg

(I originally took these pics to show off my homebrew pocketclip. An old Benchmade clip and some JB weld and it has held on perfectly for years.)

Last edited:

seale_navy

Enlightened
hmm the G2 pics u posted looks like an original surefire. I only had one G2 to compare it with.

Nevertheless, I went thru quite a number of pelican xenoy lights. Its quite normal to have variation from one light to another. Well, we shall wait for more cpf-er to comment on the pics.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks mate!

Here are the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/almquist.christian/SFG2?feat=directlink

My old did not have any of these marks what so ever. And the ring in front of the window looked a lot different. The old one had no dents in it. Might be an older version but the weird thing is that I have never seen a G2 without the dents in the ring. But then again, I'm a bit of a noob here! =)

Well, the C2 is still in transit to me. Can´t wait! :)

my vote based on the pics provided = LEGIT surefire

Dez

Newly Enlightened
my vote based on the pics provided = LEGIT surefire

Yeah, I wish I had the old one still here (It will be missed:mecry:) to compare. Just the feel was way off, the button and everything. Well, I guess I got a good one the first time and I hope that who ever got it is happy with it and will treat it with respect..

Man, the stories..
I was living in Phuket, Thailand when the tsunami struck and it helped me see when my path was dark..
You guys are probably pretty hardcore with your lights and have seen it all but for a noob, its nice to see gross sceneries before you enter them.
That was when I realized the value of a proper flashlight.

A C2 is in transit for a new home with me. Thanks for a great forum and merry merry Christmas to ya all!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the photos :)

The marks on the bezel could be a number of things. If the light wasn't sealed in the factory packaging when you received it, then the marks are probably just from the previous owner. The current clamshell packaging would be difficult to pass off as new once opened, but the older box packaging could have easily been resealed and sold as "new".

As for the threads, it could again be from past use. Even if it's not, plastics/plastic polymers are perfectly susceptible to defects. As long as they function properly then I wouldn't be concerned.

The gap between the bezel and the lens retaining ring is normal.

Having seen the pictures I doubt it's a fake. Nonetheless, pictures of the lamp assembly would probably help.

Is it just the cosmetic appearance of the flashlight that has concerned you? Have you noticed any problems with the operation of the light?

All in all, I wouldn't worry :)

Regards,
Tempest

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the photos :)

The marks on the bezel could be a number of things. If the light wasn't sealed in the factory packaging when you received it, then the marks are probably just from the previous owner. The current clamshell packaging would be difficult to pass off as new once opened, but the older box packaging could have easily been resealed and sold as "new".

As for the threads, it could again be from past use. Even if it's not, plastics/plastic polymers are perfectly susceptible to defects. As long as they function properly then I wouldn't be concerned.

The gap between the bezel and the lens retaining ring is normal.

Having seen the pictures I doubt it's a fake. Nonetheless, pictures of the lamp assembly would probably help.

Is it just the cosmetic appearance of the flashlight that has concerned you? Have you noticed any problems with the operation of the light?

All in all, I wouldn't worry :)

Regards,
Tempest

Wow, you guys hang out here on Christmas? A lot of answers! Thanks!

Well, the light was in the original package and had that new surefire smell to it so Im sure it was new. Just that it looked so different from my old one. It was a normal P60 in it (but burned out). Oh, and the button felt shorter than my old one.
Considering you guys expert opinions I guess it was a proper SF.
Well, I sent it back for some other reasons and just got the news that my C2 passed customs. =)

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
I have seen several fake ("replica") SureFire G2's on a local auction website. :shakehead I'm guessing they are from the same source as the fake SureFire L6 porcupines (I believe the maker is "Fire Kylin" or "Land Arms" or similar). I cannot comment on the quality of the G2's, as I have never seen one in person.
(Sorry, I couldn't find any pics right now.)

For reference, here is a pic of the above mentioned light (advertised as G2 replica):
g2replica.jpg