Self-cut Mag 1C SSR-50, 2x25500 with 10Amp tail cap switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod will may take me a while, I am dividing the mod into 3 sections:

Section 1. Mag cut down:

Silver mag 2C cut down to 1C size, Runs on 2x25500 Li-ion using ModaMag
McClicky Tail Switch. This will provide enough juice to drive SSR-50 to or over spec with long run time.

Section 2. Low cost 5-6A Driver build:
Not the twin shark driver that cost >$50, the goal is to make 5-6A driver for under $10

Section 3.
Add copper heat sink/Aluminum reflector, then finish up with beam shots to compare with Mag85 for throw.

Starting with Section 1. Mag cut down:

Mag 2C tube cut with a table saw, you can cut it with other type of saw, as aluminum cutting is fairly easy to do: Cut right above the switch hole:
47440937.jpg

The tube will go into the head only a little bit, need to go in all the way:
29177797.jpg

Top view, you can see that the tube is stopped by the threads,
I need to grind off the threads.
91844531.jpg

This is what I use to grind off the threads:
94515729.jpg

Now you can push the tube all the way in, 2 C li-ion will reach right under the switch hole. The tube will be JB welded with the head later when everything is done, for now, I just leave it here.
40936757.jpg

Both C li-ion are Dx 25500, one is protected, then other is not.
I am not sure if this is a good idea. I got 2 protected C li-ion but one is DOA, perhaps, running with one being protected is better than both non protected? Would like to know if anyone else have run 2 Li-ion with only one has protective circuit like this?
24303952.jpg

Size cmparasion, left to right:
Mag 2C, Mag 1.25D, Mag 1C size + tail switch w/2 C li-ion, Mag 1C stock switch w/1 C li-ion. You can see that this mod wil give you a host of Mag 1C in size but 2x mAh capacity & allow Buck driver to drive SST-50 to full spec. You can not drive SST-50 to spec (5-6A) with a single Li-ion. DX Li-ion states 5000MAh but is actually ~3000mAH, this will give you
about one hour run time Driving SST-50 at 6A or 1.2 hour if drive it at 5A.
83040298.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag 1C SSR-50 with 2x25500, 10A tail switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

Reserved for Section 2. Building 5-6A buck driver...

Six 8.4V Buck Driver wired in parallel :crazy: ( (Dx SKU 3256, 6x0.8A = ~5A.)
89353385.jpg

10641662.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Self-cut Mag 1C SSR-50, 2x25500, 10 Amp tail switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

Reserved for section 3. & beam shots

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Re: Self-cut Mag 1C SSR-50, 2x25500, Modamag tail switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

Both C li-ion are Dx 25500, one is protected, then other is not.
I am not sure if this is a good idea. I got 2 protected C li-ion but one is DOA, perhaps, running with one being protected is better than both non protected? Would like to know if anyone else have run 2 Li-ion with only one has protective circuit like this?

You need a protection circuit on each battery. The circuit keeps the individual cell from discharging below or charging above specific voltage levels. If you run with one unprotected cell you run the risk of that cell getting out of tolerance and going :poof:.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Self-cut Mag 1C SSR-50, 2x25500, 10 Amp tail switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

I am looking for a relative answer, Obviously, running 2 both protected is safest, but that's not the question here.
I was running 2 Un protected C Li-ions before,
wouldn't be replacing one with protected cell is still safer than running both unprotected?

Another way to ask the same question:

Given 3 batteries: 2 Un Protected & 1 Protected & Runs two in the light,

There's only two options:

Option A: Run 2 Unprotected
Option B: Run 1 Un protected + 1 Protected

Which option is safer? A or B?

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Self-cut Mag 1C SSR-50, 2x25500, Modamag tail switch, Fully Driven to 5-6A mod.

Cool project :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see how you build a low cost 5-6A buck driver :twothumbs

Hmmm ..... will the Modamag tail clicky handle 5-6A ?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is an awesome project! I can't wait to see the progress :twothumbs

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool project :thumbsup:

Cant wait to see how you build a low cost 5-6A buck driver :twothumbs

Hmmm ..... will the Modamag tail clicky handle 5-6A ?

I am putting Six Dx Buck Driver in parallel :crazy:
According to a post by Modoo, He has run McClicky to 6A.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dude ..... looking at all those wires gives me a headache :D :nana:

Wouldnt wiring two DX P7/MCE buck boards (DX SKU 20330)
in parallel be easier ?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dude ..... looking at all those wires gives me a headache :D :nana:

Wouldnt wiring two DX P7/MCE buck boards (DX SKU 20330)
in parallel be easier ?

Dude, Give you a headache?

Imagine my headache after soldering all day to get 6 of them all connected together & hooked up & jammed into the tube, hook up my test SSR-50 & no light?

I can't imagine trouble shooting this mess.

I was thinking about 2xP7 driver in parallel, but didn't know any that works in parallel. I thought that not all driver work in parallel?

Do you know if the DX P7 Driver SKU 20330 works in parallel?

Thanks

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could be wrong but I dont see why not.
I'll order a couple and see if it does work :thumbsup:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

WOW! You cut down a silver Mag2C! Those are pretty hard to find! :eek:oo:

zelda

Enlightened

I made also a sst50 Mag "C", but with 3 sub-c SCHR Ni-Mh.
A build with dual shark buck works, but it was for this experiement too expensive.

After full charge, 3 - 5 min discharge with 5A and im getting 6.5A to 4.5A with 30min total runtime. When the pipe is getting warm, its pushes also a little bit the voltage from the batteries.

Of course after 10 -15 min you have to shutdown, because its getting too hot for the hand :)

Back to your driver,

maybe its possible to wire the pwm-pin parallel to the other drivers?

zelda

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! You cut down a silver Mag2C! Those are pretty hard to find! :eek:oo:

Well, that'll make the Silver 1C even harder to find :cool:

I made also a sst50 Mag "C", but with 3 sub-c SCHR Ni-Mh.

Back to your driver,

maybe its possible to wire the pwm-pin parallel to the other drivers?

zelda

Can you explain that? How would that work?

zelda

Enlightened

I'm thinking with the pin from the IC to the FET, who is the clock. One stock driver with a wire to the other 5 slave driver. Cut on the 5 slave drivers the connection "clock" between IC and feet and solder them from master to slave drivers to FET. I haven't tried this yet but it would a expensive expierement if it fails! An uncontrolled driver can probaly easly destroy the ssr-50! solder some older leds in parallel to test them first. An inductive device for test don't work on a switching-driver.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I thought that not all driver work in parallel?

Most drivers will work fine in parallel, it's in series where most will not work. Wiring multimode drivers in parallel will usually have problems as the procesors tend to conflict with each other, not always but they can get out of sync very easily.

I agree with zelda, proper way to do it is to only use one processor to control all the drivers. However there may be limitations on the processor's output current being able to control a certain amount of fets.

An uncontrolled driver can probaly easly destroy the ssr-50!

Should be ok if all those drivers will deliver 6.5A max. I've shot 9-10 to an SST-50 without killing it, just turned it angry blue after a few seconds. I'm not saying 6.5A is safe for the SST-50, just saying that it may not likely fry the emitter for a quick burst (I'm not liable for any mishaps or spikes though).

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I ordered two to test it out.

Dx reviews saying it only gives 2.3A to 2.5A, so should be 5A
max with two in parallel.

I'll test with my SSR-50, If it goes :poof:, consider it as I am taking one for the team, it won't be the first time I poo:poof:ed SST/SSR :eek:

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened

Impressive work considering that you're using hand tools.

If you want to save yourself the trouble (and time) of trying to shorten the body, I can cut and rethread a mag body for you for about $40. Not trying to advertise my services or anything, just thought your project might benefit from it. PM me if your interested.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

While waiting for the new drivers to come,
I decided to get off my lazy butt & build a real man's beefy switch to handle the
big current at ease.

I used Judico 10A Switch as seen in the photo, First saw on Plasmanan's
Mag 1D P7 Shorty, I bought a few but didn't really need it until now, it was a over kill for 3A applications such as P7/MCE etc. But its perfect for SST/SSR 50 & 90. You'll be surprised how beefy the switch is. It fits in Mag C tail cap with only slight grinding.
img0326u.jpg

You just need to jam it in, hold it in place with a round disk (make one from any IC board material, press fit
in place either glue it shut or use a split ring washer) & connect one wire to the wall & the other to
a center spring:
img0334cf.jpg

I like it better as the Modamag tailswitch has a high guard, which make one handed operantion difficult, my thumb is too short. I even like the look of this DIY 10A switch better.
img0338s.jpg

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

Ma sha1,

Very nice build. You beat me to the punch man...I'm doing pretty much the identical build in a 1C mag except I'm driving the ssr-50 direct drive. I only get ~3A max on full charger which comes out to about 800 lumens off one 26650 cell. That's good enough for me since driving to to 5A generates tons more heat with just a little more output.

I also used the judco 10A switch but accidently broke the leads while modding to fit into the tailswitch.

I'll post photos when done.

Thanks for sharing!

Hill