Need a little spending advice!

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
So I am just inches away from making around 100 dollars worth of purchases to build a Mag85. I think that the whole mod thing is cool and I like the thought of a 3D lookin maglite performing like a champ...but is it really worth it?

Short run times, overdriven bulb to the point of it lasting only a handful of hours, finicky charching of the AAs. But It is just so damn bright and powerful that I almost cant resist.

I have been a pure LED kinda guy, pocket size only. And I am just branching into this "need" for a larger POWERful light. So I have little experience and knowlege.

My main question is...is there a similar size production light out there incan or led that is AS/MORE powerful and bright than the Mag85 for around $150 max?

If there is I just might have to consider it instead.

p.s. beamshots are MORE than welcome

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think there really is a clear cut answer... this one better than that one. Its more like stacking up the pros and cons and weighing it all against how much you want to spend.

Clear cut pros, in favor of MAG-85:

High CRI- LEDs (regardless of color tint) can't touch the CRI of even the lowest of low end mag upgrades... IMHO.

High Lumen output- Its not uncommon for incan mag mods in this price range to emit over 1000 Lumens. Where-as quad die LED lights in the ~$100-150 range have a ceiling of about 650 Lumens.

The one clear cut justification for high end LED versus mag, is the efficiency, smaller size and lower current draw.

So, I think its more a matter of understanding your own preferences and desires. Because they both have their pros and cons.

I have been borrowing Craigs MAG-85 for about a week and its an amazing light, TONS of brute lumen output from 9 x eneloopAA cells. The AA cells are easy on the bulb so no soft start necessary. Its a very smooth floody beam with a KD OP reflector.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe mag 85 is a cool toy.. the Led would be an excellent tool...that will usually also impress your friends too.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive seen many led lights (multi p7 or mc-e) with = lumen output of a mag85 sold here used for about $150.

much longer runtimes and the leds last forever.

$150 can buy you a really great light that could last forever,

building lights is tricky and requires a lot of knowledge and skill and tools and accessories to not be a waste of resource.

imo.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can also try a SST-50 or SST-90 mod. That would land around the same cost depending on the parts you pick.

But then it won't be a high power incan...