6000 lumens led!!!

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
Man, what an arms race. New info for Peak announces a new SAR light using a Luminus CSM-360-W emitter. As in street-legal motorcycles, one almost has to wonder when the relentless push higher will stop?

http://www.luminus.com/content1520

I'm thinking I might need the SR2000, which will use an SST-90 and one 38120P battery for 2k lumens. Supposed to be available in Feb. 'M' LiFePO4'M' LiFePO4 38120P 38120P

Last edited:

choombak

Enlightened
Man, what an arms race. New info for Peak announces a new SAR light using a Luminus CSM-360-W emitter. As in street-legal motorcycles, one almost has to wonder when the relentless push higher will stop? ...

LEDs' are going through the same cycle that microprocessors are going through...the quest for the smallest, and fastest (here strongest) is a never ending race... :)

-Amarendra

strinq

Enlightened
LEDs' are going through the same cycle that microprocessors are going through...the quest for the smallest, and fastest (here strongest) is a never ending race... :)

-Amarendra

Which is an awesome thing. :)

Now, the only question is, will there be as big an advancement on energy sources and heatsinking tech to keep those high output LEDs in small bodies?

jslappa

Enlightened
"CSM-360-W65S-D22-GS100 6500K White
White PhlatLight CSM-360 consisting of four 9 mm
2 LEDs wired in series, thermistor, and connector, mounted on a copper-core PCB."

Looks like it's 4 SST-50's on one board. Same as how the MC-E and P7 look. But DAMN, that's a lot of lumens. I need one of these in a P60 pill so I can run it in my TLS head and Megalennium with 3 IMR 18650's. 6500K is not my style though, so I'd rather have the 5700k color from the W75S.

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Luminous has a typo somewhere. The website says emitter size is 5.4mm^2, which would be noticeably smaller than the SST-90. The PDF spec sheet linked from the website, however, says the emitter size is 36mm^2.

Not much of a thrower there... :)

Edit:

Wow! PDF also says the maximum power is 13.6V @ 6.3A, which is almost 86 watts!

Active cooling, here we come!

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've asked this question before, but don't your optics have to be engineered for the specific emitter size and orientation to avoid screwy spill patterns? Putting a P7 or MC-E in an optic / reflector designed for an XP-E doesn't always yield the best results, correct? The mis-match is most pronounced the narrower the intended beam spread. Are there optics that will even work with the SST line right now?

Also, I fail to see why this would have any benefit for street road use. White-light at 700 lumens already surpasses standard 55watt halogen headlamps. 6000lumens coming from a a 5.4mm die is not only blinding for oncoming drivers, but likely only be useable in an off-road type mount like because of the monster heat sink required.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3000 Lumen version appears to cost $176.67 for one chip. The 6000 Lumen version requires a quote to get the price (they want to make sure you don't hit your head as you faint from sticker shock). I doubt I'll buy any soon...

DM51

Flashaholic
Sounds interesting...

But wrong forum - it's not in a flashlight yet, and my guess is it will be quite a while before that happens.

Moving from LED Flashlights to LED (emitters).

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't the diameter of the dome on the sst50 same as dome diameter of MC-E?
and isn't the diameter of the dome of the MC-E the same diameter as the Cree ring?

Now, I realize that an MC-E in a reflector designed for an XR may produce less than desirable effects, depending on how the reflector was designed, but shouldn't an sst50, as long as it's at the correct height, make a nicer beam in an MC-E reflector than an MC-E?

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me of this one:
200922723926100_300W_PowerLED.jpg

300W LED.. looks like 100 small dies!!

Metatron

Banned
"CSM-360-W65S-D22-GS100 6500K White
White PhlatLight CSM-360 consisting of four 9 mm
2 LEDs wired in series, thermistor, and connector, mounted on a copper-core PCB."

Looks like it's 4 SST-50's on one board. Same as how the MC-E and P7 look. But DAMN, that's a lot of lumens. I need one of these in a P60 pill so I can run it in my TLS head and Megalennium with 3 IMR 18650's. 6500K is not my style though, so I'd rather have the 5700k color from the W75S.

http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=20&p=7562#p7562

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
it wont be long before we have flashlights that run for days with unlimited output.

3000 lumens for 48 hours in a mag 2xD size light :candle:

yes there are some hurdles to overcome, but 25 years ago a computer was the size of a house, now they are in our cell phones.

it wont be long before surefire and quark lights start showing up on antique roadshow

"my grandad owned it, i think he paid $240 in 2009, titanium was considered quality in those days"

:D

Curt R

Enlightened
strinq:

Scientists at Stanford University in California have turned paper coated with ink made of silver and carbon
nonomaterials into a 'paper battery'. The promise is that by using nanotubes and nanowires the result
could be used to make batteries that are 10 times as powerful as current Lithium-Ion batteries that we
now use. The primary usage of paper batteries and supercapacitors would be for grid-connected energy
storage and electric-powered cars and trucks. Smaller applications as in notebooks and other small electronics,
including flashlights, will also be in this battery revolution.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Curt