DIY: Headlamp, 140ish Lumens, CREE Q2, 3x AA, Multi-mode, <$15

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be outlining the build of a DIY headlamp that does require any special tools (except for a soldering iron). It runs off 3x AA NiMH cells and has 5 modes - Hi > Mid > Lo > Strobe > SOS. Here is a beamshot (at 1M on medium) as well as current draw and runtimes based on 2200mAH cells. Total cost parts, excluding batteries, should be under $15. The next post will describe the parts required for the build - and where to get them.

a_67p.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

mdiabolo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just have one question. What will be the advantage compared to this lamp:
sku.20763

Thanks

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I just have one question. What will be the advantage compared to this lamp:
sku.20763

Thanks

It is very similar in spec to 20763. This one has a separate power (battery) pack instead of having the batteries on the head. 20673 weighs 4.66oz. while this one is only about 0.7oz. Also, a separate power pack means that you can use different size batteries (it uses AA compared to AAA in the 20763) - I have done a version that uses a 3.7V, 15000mAH LiPO battery for super long run times.

NYCaver

Newly Enlightened
You have $1.37 to come up with a mounting system. Preferably with a tilting mechanism. :popcorn:

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
I'd really like to see this light with a more efficient emitter still, a Cree R2 or XPG R5 (I think that's the latest hotshot) to crank the lumens over 200 with the same power draw and heat. That would put it in a league above the Apex, Fenix etc. Given the modular nature, it should be possible, no?

How about this one as a donor- 230 lumens, 5 modes:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844

Last edited:

vaska

Newly Enlightened
Similiar thread at a Russian forum :) One can understand a lot from the photos even without knowing Russian.

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any progress? An old friend who's a farmer emailed in disgust that his "100 lumen 3xAA" headlamp often fails at night while he's out chasing varmints out of his crop. It's partly his fast NiMH charger killing the batteries--but as he needs new batteries and charger, he ought to get a new headlamp.

I've been looking for something for him (he's got slow web access). Something like this --- battery pack -- seems likely.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Any progress? An old friend who's a farmer emailed in disgust that his "100 lumen 3xAA" headlamp often fails at night while he's out chasing varmints out of his crop. It's partly his fast NiMH charger killing the batteries--but as he needs new batteries and charger, he ought to get a new headlamp.

I've been looking for something for him (he's got slow web access). Something like this --- battery pack -- seems likely.

i'm not sure if you'll get a response considering the age of the thread.

you can buy ready made headlamps for less than the cost of this build. i have a sku 8238 from Manafont; a lot of headlamps sold by budget Chinese retailers are horrible, but that one is actually decent. it uses 3AA, an XRE (not sure if it really is a Q5, but it's bright), and flood to throw optic that works well. plus it has a good tilter, which is often one of the weakest points on a cheap headlamp. the battery cable is a little bit short, but i haven't found any other obvious flaws with it so far. i've used it as a backyard work light the last couple months and it has served me well. it's not waterproof and doesn't approach the overall quality of a Princeton Tec or a Petzl, but it cost me just under $12 so i'm pretty happy with it so far.

Last edited: