New Laptop Battery Cells read 2.76V !!!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well a friend that owns a computer store gave me an ASUS laptop battery brand new in the wrap....it was a wrong item shipped so I got it for free...

So...I opened it up and found 6 Samsung 2600mA pink 18650s....
No this battery pack had never been charged, but how can the batts be that low?

And I know the 3+V rule for charging...But is there a chance I am lucky enough things should be this way for brand new batts. so I get to save them afterall?

Thanks! and happy New Flashaholic Year!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
if they're new, give it a shot. Circuitry look fine in it? they using proper balancing taps and a circuit that has more than just a transistor and a 6-pin chip?
Charge one and do a runtime test or make sure it holds its charge or something like that.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello KosPap,

A pack with voltages that low raises some red flags.

Proceed with caution, especially during charging.

Tom

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks tom....I needed an expert advice if to charge at all...Will start with one charged outdoors and see...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The only time I have attempted to keep cells this low were some panasonic 17670. They have very high internal resistance and do not hold a charge well. After a week they dropped down from 4.16 to about 3.95. Its now been around 3.5 weeks since I last topped them off and they are down to 3.45, 3.55 and 3.8V, so they're going in the recycle bin.

I have a set of those samsung pink cells and they are OK. I have found them to be good for loads of up to ~1.8A. Any higher than that and they tend to sag.

Definitely charge them outside and monitor their voltage and cell temperatures carefully. Use a hobby charger with a timer, as well as a 4.2 cutoff. I think they are about 2400mah capacity.

Last edited: