Eneloop/Duraloop help

737mech

Enlightened
I have searched and have not quite found the answer I am looking for. It took me a while but I finally figured out that "Duraloop" is not an actual brand of battery. Duraloop is a nickname given to Duracell NiMh rechargable batteries presumably manufactured by Sanyo, the maker of the Eneloop cells. Is this correct? The Duraloop cells are marked as made in Japan and have white tops and black bottoms? Can anyone post a pic of what these look like so I have an idea of what to look for? Also any charger recommendations of said cells would be great as well. Please excuse my newbness.:shakehead

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Edit: Ignore this pic - madmook has posted correct pics below...

I believe they look like this...

R472548-01.jpg

...but they need to be made in Japan not China. Harder to find than hen's teeth.

I don't understand the difference between them and the other Duracell NiMH which have black where the white is on this image. I would have expected if they were significantly different that Duracell would be pushing them as such, however they seem to be pushing the 2650mAh versions instead which in my Wii have actually significantly outlasted the Eneloops due to the higher capacity.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
The duraloops are 2000mah and there are two version I have seen, one is a white top make in japan. And the other (I saw in H*ME D*pot) had a black top make in china. The ones make in japan would be good cells to buy NOT the china ones, also duracell makes a regular rechargable thats pictured above that I feel should be avoided also.
Iam sure you will get more feedback and any corrections on my post if required. Also the duraloops should say "precharged"

Last edited:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Photos of my Duracell Pre-Charged battery. The "pre-charged" line means low self-discharge (LSD), like eneloop.

Battery:
1zmdw95.jpg

"Made in Japan" labelling:
er0mtu.jpg

"White-top" (the eneloop equivalent):
31613k1.jpg

737mech

Enlightened
Thats what I have been looking for however I can only find the black ones at any stores around here. I have seen the black ones marked as Made in China as well as Made in Japan. I am going to buy some rechargables but would like to get the correct Duraloops everyone gives high marks to. Are the black topped cells labeled as Made in Japan rebadged Eneloops?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
All the Duraloops I have seen have been the black/green body with the copper top and have not looked like what Magic Matt has posted - however some may look like this, I just have not seen them.

The package should say made in Japan, and I believe the model number is DX1500. The package will say that they are "Pre-Charged". This is what you should look for, the "Pre-Charged" means they are LSD (Low Self Discharge) cells.

These are pretty easy to find around where I live (Ontario, Canada), and are frequently on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart (common drugstore around here).

EDIT: They should look like this: http://www.amazingbattery.com/images/dx-1500r4.jpg

737mech

Enlightened
Oh! The white top is just the part around the positive post under the copper colored portion of the shrink wrap?

madmook

Newly Enlightened
"Are the black topped cells labeled as Made in Japan rebadged Eneloops?"

That is something I've not seen or heard of, so I can't answer that question. Hopefully someone else knows what's up with black-topped made in Japan duraloops.

Or you could just get eneloops?

737mech

Enlightened
Oh! The white top is just the part around the positive post under the copper colored portion of the shrink wrap?

I found an answer to my own question. I thought "white top" meant that the shrink wrap was white on the top portion. Now I know it means the white portion around the positive post.

2e1be03ae7a00c564ee6e110.L.jpg

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, let's clarify. The so-called "Duraloop" is only the battery that looks like Madmook's pictures. It is so called because it appears to be an eneloop cell in Duracell colors. Nothing else, especially nothing that looks like Magic Matt's picture, is a Duraloop.

If you find a Duracell rechargeable with a black top, it is either a re-badged Rayovac Hybrid (if it is a 2000 mAh Pre-charged cell), or it is not a low self-discharge cell at all (if it has a black top and is made in Japan).

Bones

Enlightened
As Mr Happy has noted, there shouldn't be a Duracell pre-charged cell with the black material surrounding the positive post actually labeled as being made in Japan.

What's more likely is that even though the packaging is labeled as made in Japan, the cells themselves will be labeled as made in China. The mislabeling of the packaging seems to be a consequence of Duracell's decision not to otherwise differentiate between the cells sourced from China and Japan.

This post contains additional images and an ad hoc checklist for identifying the re-badged Eneloop:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post2996692

737mech

Enlightened
Thanks for your help everyone. I now have a clear understanding of what to look for.
:D

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Also, while the white-topped Duraloops are a little better, it seems like the black-topped "made in China" batteries in AA size are nearly as good (though not quite). I bought a bunch of them a couple months ago when they were on sale at Costco and they've treated me pretty well...though with batteries, only time will tell.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
... it seems like the black-topped "made in China" batteries in AA size are nearly as good (though not quite).

For the price vs. performance, I'm going Made in China from now on. For $1 each vs around $3 for Made in Japan, can't beat it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know why people want to call the black top duracell precharged batteries duraloops, should nickname them durabrids instead after the first name brand cell using the chinese formula the rayovac hybrid
eneloop - duraloop
hybrid - durabrid

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
For the price vs. performance, I'm going Made in China from now on. For $1 each vs around $3 for Made in Japan, can't beat it.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine - especially when they can be found on sale for a very low price.

FWIW, I've read here that this doesn't hold true for the AAA size. Some people have tested them and shown that they don't perform nearly as well as Eneloop AAA batteries.

DiverDn

Newly Enlightened
I was in WalMart this morning and they have the Duraloops in stock for $12.49 for a four pack. They had the white around the button and I could see through the package that they were made in Japan.

Also went to Target and they had the same packaging but the batteries were marked made in China and they had the white around the button also.

HypnoticSilence

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why people want to call the black top duracell precharged batteries duraloops, should nickname them durabrids instead after the first name brand cell using the chinese formula the rayovac hybrid
eneloop - duraloop
hybrid - durabrid

I've seen the term "duravacs" tossed around here and there on the forums to prevent confusion.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
even the black top duracell pre charged seem ok.
but if you are going to buy those then seek out a deal on the rayovac 4.0. seem to be the same battery with a different jacket.
found them for $7 for 2 4 packs on amazon.
but for the real critical apps like big hotwires the white topped duraloops are the ticket.too bad sanyo doesnt market these better....