NiteFighter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspheric mag.

Default Aspheric mag.

Only half way through this project but since I will not be finishing it any time soon due to lack of a driver I thought I would post my progress so far any way.

The Aspheric is a 44mm lens available from DX in a 5 pack.
    Its nearly a perfect fit in a D sized mag. I said nearly. I made up a POM ring to hold the lens central.

LED will be a SST-90.

Mods to mag are pretty standard for a Mag diving light.

Heat sink is a slip fit with bored out rear to take driver.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Aspheric mag.

Any chance of putting a P7 or simular in there just so we can see what sort of a beam you can get with the aspheric lens?..Please..

I tried a SST-90 behind it and the beam size was about the same as a XR-E behind the 21mm DX aspherics I use in my quad builds.

SST-90 gives a 250mm wide beam at 2 meters. Or about 7.2 degree beam. and 10 times that on wide so about 72 degrees!!

I like this lens!! ( although I have a feeling its not all that efficient).

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
    SST-90 gives a 250mm wide beam at 2 meters. Or about 7.2 degree beam. and 10 times that on wide so about 72 degrees!!

I like this lens!! ( although I have a feeling its not all that efficient).
    Hi,

wich approximate distance has the lens to the SST-90?

Michael
    Diving lamps made in Germany
    http://www.mb-sub.com

Only half way through this project but since I will not be finishing it any time soon due to lack of a driver I thought I would post my progress so far any way.

The Aspheric is a 44mm lens available from DX in a 5 pack.
    Its nearly a perfect fit in a D sized mag. I said nearly. I made up a POM ring to hold the lens central.

LED will be a SST-90.

Mods to mag are pretty standard for a Mag diving light.

Heat sink is a slip fit with bored out rear to take driver.
    Something I always wondered - since the O-ring is on the opposite side (towards the water, instead of towards the inside like in most diving equipment) of the lens in a standard mag, how do you seal the front?
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Quote Originally Posted by mbsub View Post
    Hi,

wich approximate distance has the lens to the SST-90?

Michael
    apox 15-20mm from the tip of the dome to lens for tight focus.

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Something I always wondered - since the O-ring is on the opposite side (towards the water, instead of towards the inside like in most diving equipment) of the lens in a standard mag, how do you seal the front?

It still seals. In theory the deeper you go the more pressure is put on the lens and the less the Oring would seal. But I have had mine to 57 meters with no issues.

Flashaholic

Packhorse is this the aspheric you are using http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12834 ??

Cheers

No its the 44mm one that comes in a 5 pack.
    The 50mm one will not fit inside a mag, it will just fit in the bezel and such can not be sealed off from the water.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4558

The angle you'll get in water is likely to be different, because the indices of refraction are different for polycarbonate to air and polycarbonate to water. But it sounds like you've already run it underwater? I would like to see underwater pictures!
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Its glass not PC ( not that that makes any difference to what you say) and it does not come in contact with water as it sits behind a flat lens (not shown in pic).
    Even though, I am led to believe that it ( and other lights) do have a different beam angle out of the water vs in the water. Its only a few % and to be honest I have never noticed it or tried to measure it.

If the aspheric was exposed to water on its front then the beam would be totally different in water. It would almost be as if there was not aspheric at all.

Flashaholic

No its the 44mm one that comes in a 5 pack.
    The 50mm one will not fit inside a mag, it will just fit in the bezel and such can not be sealed off from the water.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4558
    I'm wondering what beam result i would get if i paired the 50mm aspheric with the 52mm DX reflector..??
    I might just order one for the experiment if you think it will work..

For clarification here is a pic of the partially assembled head still not including the front lens.
    Out of interest the aspheric sits very close to the front lens which will give it some support on deep dives where the front lens may go concave under pressure. Its not a good idea but I reckon I could use the stock mag lens to fairly deep depths like this. ( stock lens has worked to just below 40meters before).

@Goldigger. There is no way both or even one would fit into a mag lite head and I am unsure of what advantages there are of having 2 aspherics. You would lose alot of lumen and the legth of the assembly would be rather large.

Flashaholic

@Goldigger. There is no way both or even one would fit into a mag lite head and I am unsure of what advantages there are of having 2 aspherics. You would lose alot of lumen and the legth of the assembly would be rather large.
    I think we have our wires crossed, I'm not thinking of putting them into a mag head..
    And not 2 aspherics.. This reflector combined with this aspheric..on top of the reflector and then the lens if needed..

Ah yes, sorry you did say 52mm reflector.
    But this is a thread about a Mag light build. ( and you dont use reflectors with aspherics).

Anyway I ordered a LO10c voltage regulator today and I will try running it through a bunch of AMC 7135 chips ( one being a dual mode one) to get a constant current driver. By all accounts its should work well. I will try building a 9 amp/ 3 amp driver. If it works I will do something similar for my miniMAX using a SST-50 and a LO6C
    Last edited by Packhorse; 01-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Flashaholic

How do you fix the chopped mag body into the head and waterproof it?

Epoxy works great. Its a slip fit as it is so there is so as long as you get a good covering of glue it holds really well. I have done about 10 mag heads like this and none have failed

Just completed one half of my driver.
    Its 23 AMC 7135 chips.
    A 2 mode chip board drives another 12 chip board. These 15 7135's will be 2 mode while the 8 chip board is on all the time.
    So on high mode it will be (23x 350ma=) 8.05amp
    on low mode it will be {15 x 10% x 350ma +( 8x350ma)=}3.35amp

I will not post a pic because its but ugly soldering.
    Part 2 of the driver is a LO10C set up to deliver a constant voltage of just over a Vf of 8.05amp ( if that makes sense). If the current rises above 8.05 amp out of the LO10C the 7135's will burn it up saving the SST-90.
    I may or may not put a thermistor on the LO10c.

Flashaholic

How big is this sanwich going to be?

16mm thick and 18mm wide plus wires for the AMC 7135.

I fired up the 23 AMC7135 driver last night using 5 1100ma NiCd sub C's
    I was a little suprised they could deliver the current but they did. Output was a steady 8.2amp!
    It didnt work too well in low mode though. It just started to strobe at about 5-10hz. I rewired it so all 7135s were driven off the atmel control chip thinking this could solve the problem. It didnt really it just strobed a lot slower. I guess it was to do with the high input voltage. This should be solved once the LO10c arrives.

Anyway I tried it out with the 44mm aspheric and SST-90 ( off my miniMAX as I have yet to finish the heatsink off for this project.) and all I can say is WOW!!
    I compared it agaisnt my quad aspheric XR-E driven at 1400 per LED. The SST was a slightly larger beam when focused tight ( the Quad is slightly out of focus to produce a larger beam) and was significantly brighter.
    No beam shots yet as I cant find my tripod but rest assured they will come.

Nice job dude
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

All shots taken with Canon G10 ISO 80 8sec 2.8f

Ambient

Quad Q5 aspheric @1400ma per LED

Hexaspherical 6 XR-E R2's using Ahorton aspheric running at about 1 amp each

50watt halogen search lamp about 6 inch reflector

SST90 and 44 mm aspheric tight 5 amp

SST90 44mm aspheric wide 5 amp

The following 2 were taken after charging up the battery with no ambient light

SST90 44mm aspheric tight 8 amp

SST90 44mm aspheric wide 8 amp
    Last edited by Packhorse; 01-11-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Flashaholic

looks like the Hexaspherical 6 XR-E R2's using Ahorton aspheric running at about 1 amp each produces a brighter tighter beam...

Any build info on this?

Cheers

Flashaholic*

Nice!

It's hard to tell from the pics but what was your impression regarding the difference between the SST-90 driven at 5 amp vs 9 amps?

I couldn't tell a lot of difference in the pics. Is it your impression that the throw would be greater or is 5 amps the sweet spot in terms of efficiency?

Hexaspherical= http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=242941

It was hard to measure the amperage to be honest and these were measured after the pics were taken.
    Ooop it should be 8 amps not 9!!! I will change that.
    8 amps did seem brighter but not by all that much as would be expected. More current and efficiency goes down and twice the power never seems twice as bright.
    I will experiment to find the best power to suit my needs.

Flashaholic

So the hex is not a dive light...

Packhorse - great job on the beamshots. The focus and wide angle on the SST-90 looks like an excellent range - I think it would be very useful, not only as a diving light, but also outdoors. Nice job

Very impressive indeed !

May I ask what heat it is generated by SST-90 in the handle on the air at 5A or 8A ? How long have you run lamp?

OFFTOPIC:
    For frst try I'll put SST-90 into empty house of Scubapro lamp
    Scubalux 100 .
    I must made a aluminium holder with diameter of 48 mm and press it into the enclosure. I'm worry a litle bit that heat will stay inside enclosure (because of big dimension) instead of dissipate on enclosure. For reflector I'll use original - I'm a little afraid to disassemble original original head ( press-fit lens )
    http://www.google.si/url?sa=t&source...NAAttmB60b9Uvw

But now I have measured inner diameter of reflector head exactly - 42mm! but I think can be easly fit 44mm DX lens with a little work!
    Last edited by lucca brassi; 09-26-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Packhorse - great job on the beamshots. The focus and wide angle on the SST-90 looks like an excellent range - I think it would be very useful, not only as a diving light, but also outdoors. Nice job
    Yeah, now just need to find away to be able to have a focusable system!

@LB. You should be able to to grind the lip off the 44mm lens to make it fit.
    I didnt use the maglite setup so I cant really comment on how hot it was. I used the miniMAX body and ran it for very short times.