Spydie Dragonfly -- but larger?

hatman

Enlightened
What's similar to the Dragonfly only larger -- 2.5 inches to 3 inches or so?

I love the Spydie thumbhole opener; the wide, flat and thin Dragonfly blade; and the light weight.

Don't want another integral clip like the Dragonfly.

I prefer lock back instead of a liner lock (I want something easy to open and close.)

Steel optional, but if I have a choice, VG10 or better (although not a deal breaker.)

Don't need an expensive handle.

This is for EDCing, so shouldn't be too long or heavy. Prefer a street price of under $100, but would consider higher price for the right blade.

Looked at a number of blades that meet some of these criteria, but haven't found anything yet that hits the bulls eye.

What am I overlooking -- any suggestions?

hatman

Enlightened
Both very nice -- thanks for the swift responses!

Looking for a wide flat ground blade with shape similar to the Dragonfly and photos I've seen of Caly 3, Native 4 Carbon Fiber and Persistence.

Jimping is good!

I hear only good things about the Delicas, but prefer no steel liners.

Lightweight is good. Nothing too long or heavy. A larger Dragonfly would be close to perfect.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
caly3 g10/vg-10, will fit what youve described to a t.
i have the carbon fiber zdp model and its my favorite knife ever, i lost my first- well gave it to a friend when i was drunk, and imediately bought another, i also have a dragonfly, they both cut like damn seki-city lasers.

hatman

Enlightened
caly3 g10/vg-10, will fit what youve described to a t.
i have the carbon fiber zdp model and its my favorite knife ever, i lost my first- well gave it to a friend when i was drunk, and imediately bought another, i also have a dragonfly, they both cut like damn seki-city lasers.

Which is grippier -- the carbon fiber or the G10 handle?

How does the Caly3 carbon fiber compare with the Native 4 carbon fiber?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Caly3 CF isn't the most grippy, as it's smooth.. But I still love mine!
IMG_1036-800.jpg

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
the g10 has much grippier scales but i have never felt that my carbon fiber scaled one didnt have enough grip, ive cleaned trout, deer, and quail, covered it in blood and it was still plenty grippy.

the native4 is larger and has different ergonomics, but they both have nice flat grinds the n4 has vg-10 blade the caly3 carbon has a zdp-189 blade which is a much better steel.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Caly3 G10/VG-10 model is discontinued, so snag one quickly. I thought of the Caly Jr when reading your post but it is also discontinued and even harder to get. I had a Caly3 VG-10 but now I have a Caly3 ZDP-189 and it is superb. I prefer the ZDP-189, although it is a bit tougher to sharpen.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the Delica.Removable clip,thumb hole, no liners and a lockback.For slightly larger,I would also look at the BM Mini Griptillian.Axis lock(none smoother)wide blade,good steel,thumb hole,no liners.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Delica.Removable clip,thumb hole, no liners and a lockback.For slightly larger,I would also look at the BM Mini Griptillian.Axis lock(none smoother)wide blade,good steel,thumb hole,no liners.

neither of these are flat ground blades, in stock form, the doug ritter version grip is flat ground but more expensive, and the delica is available in the flat grind, but to get it, you need to drop $180 for the model that features it.

hatman

Enlightened
The Caly3 G10/VG-10 model is discontinued, so snag one quickly. I thought of the Caly Jr when reading your post but it is also discontinued and even harder to get. I had a Caly3 VG-10 but now I have a Caly3 ZDP-189 and it is superb. I prefer the ZDP-189, although it is a bit tougher to sharpen.

The discontinued Caly Jr's 2 3/4 inch blade would be just about perfect.
But used, it's going for $100-plus -- too much for a cheaper quality steel.

Does Spyderco still make anything comparable? Perhaps in its Byrd line?

carrot

Flashaholic
No. The Caly3 is the closest you'll get at the moment. Also, the related Urban and UK Penknife knives are very similar, although without a locking mechanism (for legality in some areas).

The Persistence and Tenacious are similar in blade shape and design, but not exactly as Dragonfly-like as the Caly family.

hatman

Enlightened
Thanks for the Endura sale tip.

Ordered a Persistence to try out -- blade size seems right, but it appears to be steel lined, which I don't want or need.

Price was low enough that I'll continue my search for a larger sized Dragonfly.

Thanks for all your help -- and please let me know if you spot a good alternative.

commodorewheeler

Newly Enlightened
What's similar to the Dragonfly only larger -- 2.5 inches to 3 inches or so?

I love the Spydie thumbhole opener; the wide, flat and thin Dragonfly blade; and the light weight.

Don't want another integral clip like the Dragonfly.

I prefer lock back instead of a liner lock (I want something easy to open and close.)

Steel optional, but if I have a choice, VG10 or better (although not a deal breaker.)

Don't need an expensive handle.

This is for EDCing, so shouldn't be too long or heavy. Prefer a street price of under $100, but would consider higher price for the right blade.

Looked at a number of blades that meet some of these criteria, but haven't found anything yet that hits the bulls eye.

What am I overlooking -- any suggestions?

I'm not sure if these are still made, but a ZDP-189 Delica fits every criteria that you have listed above.

hatman

Enlightened
Many thanks, Commodorewheeler. I'll check it out.

I'm curious: what are the advantages of ZDP-189 steel?

Any disadvantages?

commodorewheeler

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks, Commodorewheeler. I'll check it out.

I'm curious: what are the advantages of ZDP-189 steel?

Any disadvantages?

The main advantage of ZDP-189 is that it can be hardened up to really high levels (RC 65-67), where it has extremely high wear resistance and still has functional toughness, so it holds a great edge. From my experience using it, its corrosion resistance is comparable to that of the VG-10 you mentioned.

The only disadvantages of it are that because it is so hard, it's more difficult to resharpen in the field than most softer steels, and it isn't as tough as something like S30V, but its toughness should be reasonably comparable to that of VG-10.