Introducing the Droid 58 Carabiner

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing the Droid 58 Carabiner from Cool Fall

Over the years I have used a carabiner on all sorts of items from key chains to flashlights and I got to thinking about a no holds barred version of this common key chain accessory. So, last year we started designing one of our own. And now they are nearly done and will be ready for release in a few days. Mike and I have a few finishing touches to complete.

The Droid is a "key chain" size ultra high end titanium carabiner with an integrated hidden lock. We only made a few of these because of the exotic nature of such an item. We spent countless weeks on the design and prototype machining of this device so it would match the SPY 007 in finish quality and artistic concept. As with the flashlights, this carabiner is intended to be used. It will not break or wear out. It has a split ring to attach your keys or a 007 to your belt loop. The uses for a small carabiner are many. I have always wanted one for my 007 accessory line-up but it certainly does not require a 007 to enjoy it. The sale price of the Droid will be $220.

The design of the Droid is intended to be fun and usable. The current version, the Droid 58, has a lock incorporated in it. Because of the lock, it takes two hands to operate; one to pull the lock release and one to push open the gate. This is done on purpose so it will not come off until you want it to. It is secure under vibrations and any jostling from running and wrestling around. It just cannot come off unless you intend it to.

The titanium used in the droid is the 6al-4v aerospace grade that is used in military aircraft and spacecraft. It is strong and rated for up to 50 lbs of load. It has two replaceable 010 size o-rings. The lock release is held in place with a telescoping stainless steel pin. The Droid 58 is 58mm long.

Here are a few pictures and a short video of its lock function.

IMG_1029s.jpg

IMG_1026s.jpg

IMG_1031s.jpg

IMG_1035s.jpg

lock release in the unlocked position
IMG_1036s.jpg

IMG_1038s.jpg

IMG_1039s.jpg

IMG_1046s.jpg

VIDEO

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I got to mess around with a prototype and I gotta admit, this is the coolest carabiner I have ever seen.

Data, don't stop cranking out awesome things!

rje58

Enlightened
That looks great, even if beyond the reach of most of us, cost wise.

How secure are the o-rings that operate the lock feature? and what do you expect the usable life of them to be, before replacement?

Very nice!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks great, even if beyond the reach of most of us, cost wise.

How secure are the o-rings that operate the lock feature? and what do you expect the usable life of them to be, before replacement?

Very nice!

The o-rings are contained by the lock release. They can only be taken off if you take the lock release off first. It requires a sewing size needle to push in on the retaining pin.

I bet the o-rings will last a few years if you use the device every day. The 010 size o-ring is available at most hardware stores that have an o-ring drawer. It is a very standard size.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: I ended up putting the 011 size o-ring on the Droid but it works with either size.

Last edited:

rje58

Enlightened
That is awesome - great design! That's not obvious from looking at it... that information makes it much more attractive as an EDC.

The o-rings are contained by the lock release. They can only be taken off if you take the lock release off first. It requires a sewing size needle to push in on the retaining pin.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Looks sweet!

I will have to say that I'm sorry I'm going to have to pass on this one for the moment as I'm trying to save some of my money for one of your other (hopefully soon to be available) items. Speaking of, I SPY two of them in the above pictures. :naughty:

Slightly off topic: What is going on with that Strider? :eek: Got any more detailed pics of the handle?

RIDE

Enlightened
That is just incredible! :faint: This will be an amazing accompaniment to both the 007 and Tri-V!

Great work!

BTW....killer Starlingear Strider and bead! (And Tri-Vs too!)

RIDE

Joseph Milton

Enlightened
I can't believe I am going to buy a $220 key holder! I'm in for one! Shoot me a PM when they are ready!

Joseph

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_1039s.jpg

Holy Smokes that's one awesome picture :eek::eek::eek:

Great Job Dave :thumbsup:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Damn you Dave! :sick2: Have you no respect for our wallets? :poke:

This thing is sick. :twothumbs And an awesome size.

:thumbsup: john

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Smokes that's one awesome picture :eek::eek::eek:

Great Job Dave :thumbsup:

No kidding, I can't stop staring at that frog!

Btw, that is one crazy-looking Carabiner Dave, keep the gadgets rolling!:twothumbs

-Mayo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dave,
Innovative and cool engineering and design there! :thumbsup: What is the minimum ID the biner can attach to and maximum OD the gate and clip can digest?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,
Innovative and cool engineering and design there! :thumbsup: What is the minimum ID the biner can attach to and maximum OD the gate and clip can digest?

Don,

Guess I should have posted those dimensions! :eek:

The holes at each end of the carabiner are > 5/32". The smallest split ring that will go in those holes is between 5/16" and 3/8" ID depending on its thickness. The largest drill bit shank that fits through the gate is 5/16" (.312") It fits on a typical Levis jeans belt loop nicely. That and clipping to another split ring were the intended targets.

I think if this sells we will make a bigger one too but not likely out of Ti. Just the little tiny lock release lever had to be machined from 5 different sides. It took a lot of work.

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. I posted this over on USN too, never posted like that over there before, do not know what to expect!

Cheers
Dave

fasteddie

Enlightened
Dave, great design, darn you. A few questions.. are the o-ring posts flared to help keep the oring from getting knocked off? Does the lock retaining pin need to be pushed in from both sides or is it like a watch strap pin (or toilet paper rod for that matter) where pushing in one side gives you enough freeplay to get the pin off? Did you make the telescoping pins yourself or get them from another source? Will spare pins be available?

Very nice piece of work.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, great design, darn you. A few questions.. are the o-ring posts flared to help keep the oring from getting knocked off?

A: Yes they are flared. I have not yet had one pop off in my pocket but if it ever happened you could just pop it back on. They are contained so they can not be lost.

Does the lock retaining pin need to be pushed in from both sides or is it like a watch strap pin (or toilet paper rod for that matter) where pushing in one side gives you enough freeplay to get the pin off?

A: It only needs to be pushed in on one side to come apart. It is a standard 1/4" watch strap pin.

Did you make the telescoping pins yourself or get them from another source?

A: I did not make them. You can get them from a watch parts site.

Will spare pins be available?

A: Yes they will.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said!!! :sigh:

Nice job on the release handle :twothumbs

Is a trit slot one of the aforementioned finishing touches? :poke:

There is only one place to put trit in the Droid, that is in the opening of the release lever. It will fit one standard SPY trit very nicely. You will have to put in a clear see-through epoxy matrix to hold it in place but given your amazing craftsmanship TB, I know that will not present you with much of a challenge! :popcorn:

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool indeed.
I had a key clip on my Xmas list & I didn't get one:thinking: Maybe that was a sign.
Need to check the bank balance before I order one:mecry:
John

Latest posts