Fenix LD10 beamshot problem, please help a newbie :)

venacava

Newly Enlightened
Hello there, and a happy new year! (albeit belatedly)

So, I just got the LD10 I ordered and despite having had a good experience with Fenix in the past I have to say I am disappointed with the beamshot:

P1000948.jpg

I'm no flashlight expert, more of an occasional user; I ordered this for my dad who uses a light for hours in the evenings.
It seems to us like that black circle around the centre is rather annoying when using the light. It irked me especially since it was not cheap and it does say "newly designed reflector: oustanding beamshot" right on the packaging.

I wrote 4sevens, who claim this is perfectly normal beamshot. Despite this, the beamshot in the product photos on fenix-store.com do not look like this, nor do ones I've seen in reviews.

So, what do you guys think?

is my beamshot outstanding like fenix claims?

or should I keep trying to get a replacement?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
by the way, I made a diffuser for my LD01 using a guide I found here.. not sure who posted it, but that's how I found you guys :)
Thanks!

fannin

Enlightened
i think if you're not happy they should let you change it or return it

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Looks perfectly normal for an XR-E.

Did you get the smooth reflector or the orangepeel ? The smooth will be more ringy but have a bit more throw.

Either way, the rings won't be as noticeable in real use as on the white wall.

When I first got my Nitecore Extreme, it had me thinking 'Ring-o-rama !' , but once I'd stopped whitewalling and actually started using it, I found that it's one of the best and most useful beams of all my lights.

If you can leave the white wall alone you should find that you can get on with enjoying your light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many have said before me the tiny little Fenix EO1 has a horrible white wall beam shot,but once in use it is a smashing cheap little light and is my evening time edc.

I do not white wall it but use it.

Chadder

Enlightened
That is perfectly mormal for the smooth reflector. I also do not like the rings. The textured reflector in the LD10 has a way better beam! In my opinion of course!!

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the LD10 can be had with a smooth reflector, the L1D could. Almost any XR-E light will have the dark circle around the hotspot. There are those lights that have a heavly stippled reflector that do away with the dark circle, but output is lost, an example is the LiteFlux LF3XT.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
It's a bit of a lottery with that LED I believe - some of the XR-E's have more rings than others. I've seen quite a few that look like that, and some that look better or worse.

The key is, does this bother you (or your dad in this case) during normal usage (i.e. not pointed at a white wall).

You may find it less bothersome in outdoor environments or at longer range. It depends. If you (or your dad) tries to use it for a while you may find it totally acceptable.

My LD10 is about as bad and it's never bothered me in practice (mainly camping use).

Last edited: