battery sources.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
not sure where to ask this so if this is the wrong place, mods please feel free to move to the correct area. i have a simple question about batteries. i have tried to search but the google search on here leaves a lot to be desired. is there a list of what type of cells come in the different type of rechargeable batteries? example would be what cells are in a 18v cordless drill pack or a 9.6v driver pack. if that makes sense.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not easy to make such a list as there can be many different kinds of cell used in a battery pack depending on the specific manufacturer and system.

The best way to find out is either to do a search on the manufacturer/system you want to know about, or to disassemble (carefully!) an old pack and examine the markings on the cells. Be aware that the cells in some packs have a high energy content and if you accidentally short them things can get very hot indeed!

Conte

Enlightened
Well, if you be more specific as to the particular battery, and reason for asking.

Are you trying to figure out what kind of pack to buy to butcher for cells, or what kind of cells to buy to rebuild a pack you have ?

To be specific based on your example of drill packs:

For the longest time drills used NiCD batteries.
The rare odd on would use NiMH. Both clock in at 1.2v.
A 9.6v pack would use 8 cells, the 18v would use 15 cells.
And they are most likely to be Sub-C's.

Some odd newer packs will use Lithium-Ion Manganese cells, or IMR cells as they are known here, which you can buy on here from AW.
Most common cell size is 18650 and clock in at 3.6/3.7v.

Some of the latest Drill packs are known to use the new LiFepo4 Cells.
(Lithium Nano Phosphate). The most common size being 26650 and clock in at 3.2v.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ is a good place to learn about batteries.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are NiCad or NiMH then the cells are usually 1.2v so you have 8 cells fora 9.6v drill. Physical size off the cells you'll usually have to measure them.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
looking to butcher packs for the different cells for different projects. i didnt know if someone had broken it all down to what cells are in which batteries. thanks for the help guys.

Conte

Enlightened
Well, unless you can get GOOD packs for cheap, you're probably better off buying individual or Lots of new cells. ESPECIALLY if you are looking for Li-Ion cells cause you can buy cells with protection circuits built in.

Butchering packs is handy when say, you have an old drill, or video camera you don't use anymore, but their battery packs are still plenty good. No point letting some perfectly good batteries go to waste right ?

Many of the cheaper new drill packs you can get your hands on are going to have older tech low capacity NiCD Sub-C's in them, that . . well . . . aren't really worth the bother.

If you score a Li-Ion drill pack its most likely going to have IMR cells in it, that will deliver alot of current but again, will be lower capacity. If say, your application doesn't need that much current, you'll probably rather have some high capacity Li-Co cells.

If you score a Li-Ion drill pack that uses the larger 26650 cells, they are most likely going to be LiFepo4 cells, which, if you're looking for normal Li-Ion voltage levels you'll be disappointed. But if Lifepo4 is what you want, then it's pointless cause you can just buy them on Ebay in mass quantities for cheaper then a drill pack. (I think). There are alot of 26650 Lifepo4 cells avaliable on ebay for roughly just under $10 a piece shipped. I've bought some and can vouch for them.

If you are looking for 26650 Li-Ion IMR cells, well, those are rarer to find. At least I don't' know which company packs that heat into their drill packs.

So, point is, better off buying new cells from reputable vendors unless you have a hot lead on cheap new packs. Otherwise, everyone here would be doing it (and your question would have received some more affirmative answers.)

If you let me know you application, what kind of cells you want, and what you want to use them for, I might have some idea's to point you in the right direction to find exactly what you need.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
not limiting this to drill batteries. also laptop batteries. i have several friends in IT that will hook me up. i should have 5 or 6 LT batteries on there way as we speak.

Conte

Enlightened
Ahhh, if you got a source then yah.

I'm am 99.9% sure you're going to find a set of 18650 Li-Ion-Co cells in there. Which as garilla pointed out, will be UNPROTECTED.
They won't be the best cells, but they'll do the job.

Gently pry off the tabs, use special care on the bottom of the cell.
One time, while prying the tab off the bottom of a 18650 cell, the particularly strong weld pulled a hole in the cell and it started leaking.
I soldered it shut and its worked fine since.