SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Haiku XP-G

Default Re: Haiku XP-G

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    If only I could go forward in time
    I feel your joy/pain Razorback...I don't know whether to hug the mail man when it arrives or hit him with a bag of flour for taking so 'dern' long

And Don....you're
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Ah, but you can go forward in time -- it just takes a while.

Thanks you guys for your interest in this light as well as your support where it really counts!!

It will be interesting to hear your take on the Haiku XP-G. Both from those who have an original Kaiku as reference as well as those who don't.

At present, I am offering both the original as well as the new XP-G version but I will be curious in moving forward to see if both still have a demand or whether one clearly prevails over the other. Obviously I will need to make plans on future offerings provided there is additional interest in these.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hey, what is a Kaiku!?

Is it the McGizmo Ti HID I have been hearing about?
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hey PSM ... the voices again?
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

The Haiku XP-G has landed!

As the Haiku body and 3S converter has been covered in other builds, I'll just comment on the beam.

Some thoughts from my quick evaluation:

I'll have to use this light for a week or two to get better acquainted with the more subtle aspects of the beam, but at first blush, it is IMPRESSIVE!

The beam is best described as a combination spot/flood. No 'follow the bouncing ball' effect when using the light. It has the bright hotspot in the middle, but he corona is even, full, and EXTREMELY useful. The even character of the beam is in no way like a Mule, LS Series of lights on low, or the Sundrop. However, it does not have the sharp dropoff betwen spot and spill of the PD-S either. IIRC, the beam with the XR-E was similar, but the definition of the spot on the XP-G is much less pronounced. I haven't looked at the long distance aspect of the beam yet, but it does light up a good portion of my backyard from 100 feet or so.

I sold my Haiku with the XR-E shortly after receiving it because while I really liked the 3S converter and interface, I didn't feel like XR-E beam was special enough to keep. I think the Haiku XP-G's beam is in a different class and will be sticking around for use in my EDC rotation. I see it as my go-to light for the times when I know I'll be outdoors.

I absolutely understand why Don felt that this combination of reflector and LED warranted its own run.

Now, please excuse me. I need to get outside and check this light out more thoroughly!!

BigHonu! Thank you very much for your thoughts on the beam distribution. It has been my experience (albeit a very limited one) that the XP-G has once again brought Cree to the next level. Although it definitely is not a huge leap from the XR-E, it's leap is great enough for my meager eyes to enjoy.

I have experienced similar results as you have with an McR12r + XP-G . The hot spot is a bit dimmer than my McR17xr + XR-E (Haiku) combination, but the hotspot is larger and the spill and corona noticeably brighter. So much so that the dimmer hot spot is negligible in actual EDC use. The transition from hotspot to spill is not as drastic as with the XR-E and this allows for much more flood-like lighting with the added advantage of throw. I can imagine that my description probably sounds very confusing, but I hope that once beamshots are shared, the advantages of the XP-G will be clear.

I am anxiously looking forward to beam shots and thoughts from you lucky Haiku XP-G owners
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    BigHonu! Thank you very much for your thoughts on the beam distribution. It has been my experience (albeit a very limited one) that the XP-G has once again brought Cree to the next level. Although it definitely is not a huge leap from the XR-E, it's leap is great enough for my meager eyes to enjoy.

I have experienced similar results as you have with an McR12r + XP-G . The hot spot is a bit dimmer than my McR17xr + XR-E (Haiku) combination, but the hotspot is larger and the spill and corona noticeably brighter. So much so that the dimmer hot spot is negligible in actual EDC use. The transition from hotspot to spill is not as drastic as with the XR-E and this allows for much more flood-like lighting with the added advantage of throw. I can imagine that my description probably sounds very confusing, but I hope that once beamshots are shared, the advantages of the XP-G will be clear.

I am anxiously looking forward to beam shots and thoughts from you lucky Haiku XP-G owners
    Bold added by me

Thanks maxspeeds! The sections in bold are exactly what I see with the Haiku XP-G. This is a different animal, not from a brightness/output perspective, but from a beam profile one. Also, I'm glad that I remembered the beam distribution of the XR-E Haiku correctly.

I'm sorry I'm not set up for beamshots tonight, but I'm sure someone else will get to them soon!

Big Honu,
    Thanks for your observations. Your comments as well as maxspeeds observations dovetail with my own impressions.

An obvious and often necessary as well as desireable artifact in many of the flashlight beams is that of the contrast in intensities and sharp delineation between the collimated portion of the beam and its surrounding corona and spill. For maximum throw with a reflector, this is a given. If you have sufficient flux or can get by with less than maximum throw (lux) then there are alternatives.

In some applications where you are basically holding a light in a horizontal position and illuminating both near and far objects, it might be ideal to have these objects all reflecting light back at the same relative intensity. Such a beam would require a smooth graduation in diminishing intensity as you move from center line out axially. To some reasonable extent, I think the beam pattern from the Haiku XP-G follows in this vein. For want of a better term, I consider this another "ram" of light type beam similar to that of the XR-E/ McR17XR combo and even the McR-27L which started me on this path.

I find it instructive and even kind of funny that for some, any type of noticeable artifact is considered with disdain and strong dislike and yet the beam being viewed may have a stark and clearly defined hot spot which I guess by virtue of is symmetry is not seen as an artifact.

Somewhat off topic, I have designed a similar reflector for another CPF member and his initial take and comments on the beam pattern and distribution are also in line with the observations from you guys. He is still in R&D and design stages and his story is his to tell if and when he is inclined so no further comment from me.

I believe the very nature of the image source from the XP-G will end up with a new style of beam pattern emerging as more lights use this LED. By virtue of the size of the die and bounty of flux I think we will see some "big" beams coming from XP-G based lights.

Don,

What a coincidence regarding the 27L. In my original text, I stated "For those of you lucky enough to have a 27LT, the beam is a close cousin to that." I decided to take it out only because I felt that the beam of the XP-G is relatively more uniform and didn't want to mislead.

I do agree that the 'ram of light' or lights with 'big beams' are going to become more popular as people use them. They may not be optimal for exteme long range applications, but up to 120 feet or so (with 60ft being a very nice sweet spot for this light, IMHO), a XP-G in your new reflector is REALLY tough to beat in actual use. Even for close up use, it is pretty good. You still get the hotspot, but it is not remotely as distracting as most lights with this size head and reflector.

After getting more time with it last night, I am liking this beam more and more. Enough that I may shelve my gold standard for EDC lights - the LS20, to carry this around for awhile. I give up the stellar close range lighting of the LS20 for the good close up lighting of the Haiku, however, I gain better range and coverage at medium to long ranges. The Haiku XP-G is just that versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHonu View Post
    The Haiku XP-G has landed!

As the Haiku body and 3S converter has been covered in other builds, I'll just comment on the beam.

Some thoughts from my quick evaluation:

I'll have to use this light for a week or two to get better acquainted with the more subtle aspects of the beam, but at first blush, it is IMPRESSIVE!

The beam is best described as a combination spot/flood. No 'follow the bouncing ball' effect when using the light. It has the bright hotspot in the middle, but he corona is even, full, and EXTREMELY useful. The even character of the beam is in no way like a Mule, LS Series of lights on low, or the Sundrop. However, it does not have the sharp dropoff betwen spot and spill of the PD-S either. IIRC, the beam with the XR-E was similar, but the definition of the spot on the XP-G is much less pronounced. I haven't looked at the long distance aspect of the beam yet, but it does light up a good portion of my backyard from 100 feet or so.

I sold my Haiku with the XR-E shortly after receiving it because while I really liked the 3S converter and interface, I didn't feel like XR-E beam was special enough to keep. I think the Haiku XP-G's beam is in a different class and will be sticking around for use in my EDC rotation. I see it as my go-to light for the times when I know I'll be outdoors.

I absolutely understand why Don felt that this combination of reflector and LED warranted its own run.

Now, please excuse me. I need to get outside and check this light out more thoroughly!!
    Oh, happy day - the post delivered my shiny new Haiku XP-G today, and I concur totally with Bighonu's comments. More incredible is the delivery - I think I ordered it Saturday - it arrived today, Thursday, in the DC area. Pretty long haul, so thanks Don, and thanks USPS.

I always loved my Haiku for the combination of throw, spill, smooth transition from one to the other, and tint - yet there were times when more flood was necessary - but hated giving up the throw! Darkness will tell, but I think the XP-G may just solve that dilemma.

At any rate - curious - I sold a MirageMan mule withe a GDuP light engine to help finance this, and now I have a combination flood/throw light to take its place!

I'm very pleased - no shelf queen here - it's already in my pocket and I can't wait to do the beamshots and post photos.

Thank you Don, for another jewel in the collection!

run4jc,

How does the tint of the XP-G compare to the original Haiku? I remember beam characteristics much better than tint, but recall the tint of the XR-E being warmer, leaning toward being slightly 'creamy'. Or, maybe I'm thinking of another light.

Looking forward to your beamshots!

You are absolutely correct, sir! The XP-G is more white than the Haiku - my Haiku strikes me as being middle ground between the current offerings that are touted as 'neutral' and being pure white. My XP-G seems to be just a click away towards white, but nowhere near approaching a blue tint. It is actually very pleasing.

I have a Nailbender SST-50 drop in that is white - not blue, but absolutely white. When I compare the XP-G to that light, the XP-G, once again, looks somewhat warm - like someone put a scant drop of vanilla in the mix. And it is warmer than my Lunasol 20, too.

I think it's going to be one of my favorites - but then again, every Gizmo I own is my favorite!

Beamshots over the weekend!

Hope this helps

Dan

Guys ... we demand beamshots !!
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Yes. Beamshots!

NOWWWW!!!

Congrats to everyone who has already received their Haiku XP-G!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

distance ~6' or 7'

Haiku XP-G on med.

Ra 200cn at 13 lumens (didn't realize/forgot until I read the bottom post that Med. is 55lumens for the XPG)

both side by side

sorry for the crappy Iphone pics

Edit: and I have no idea what happen to the hotspot on the RA in the last pic
    Last edited by fisk-king; 01-14-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: reason for choosing 13 lumens instead of ~50
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

My XP-G is also slightly cooler than my original Haiku but visibly warmer than my 27LT-S and Ti-S27-Cx2.

The beam does remind me of the 27LT-S and Ti-S27-Cx2, though with a bit larger hot spot.

Having both a Haiku and an XP-G in hand, I prefer the XP-G, but the difference is so slight as to be functionally irrelevant.

Using the same measurement techniques as documented in Ti-PD/PD-S/PD-S-Mizer Shootout (Runtime Graphs Added), here are some calculated lumen measurements:

Haiku, fresh Surefire cell
    low - 6
    med - 37
    high - 135

XP-G, fresh Surefire cell
    low - 8
    med - 54
    high - 191 (pretty close to Don's IS measurement of 185)

Haiku, topped off 4 year old AW RCR123
    low - 6
    med - 37
    high - 138

XP-G, topped off 4 year old AW RCR123
    low - 8
    med - 55
    high - 199

I wish that I had some newer RCR cells, just to say that we have legitimately reached the 200 lumen mark in a single cell, single LED McGizmo.

Sorry guys, I don't have time for beam shots. If you take a look at the XR19-C and 27LT-S shots in my shootout link above, the XP-G is closer to them than the Ti-PD-S. And a fair bit brighter.

If I was in Don's shoes, I'd want to sell off existing Haiku stock since it has definitely NOT been made obsolete by the XP-G's modest improvements over it. But the XP-G is definitely the path to take moving forward as far as I'm concerned.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

thanks Codeman

Don, this is my second light from you and I can not help to think that I have my own personal lightsaber. The craftmanship on your lights are outstanding

now back to watching Predator and learning knots from Stormdrane's blog. over & out

Default Oh my goodness

Well folks, it may be that Don has created the 'holy grail' of flashlights. I just returned from a walk in the dark with my new Haiku XP-G. I know, I know, everyone wants beamshots, but I don't think beamshots are going to be able to capture the amazing capabilities of this new light.

I'll do my best to paint a visual for you - I live in a townhome community. The units are 40 years old (not that that matters) and are about 40 feet 'deep' and 3 stories tall. Tonight I was standing approximately 60-75 feet from an end unit - I'm not good with distances visually but I tried to pace it off. With the Haiku XP-G, I could light the entire side of the end unit and the spill went 10 feet beyond the edge. The amazing thing is that at that distance, the 'spot' has virtually disappeared! It is sooo smooth, yet it seems to have throw out to 100 feet (again, not good with distances.) Beamshots you've seen where a tree was targeted will be different with this light - instead of a hot spot, the tree is just lit up, with a very gradual decrease in brightness from the center of the beam out.

The reason that I don't think I can capture this with a photo is the sheer size of the area that is lit. I lit my parking lot - spaces for 24 cars, and I am not embellishing this! It reminds me of a refined, but not quite as bright, SST-50, but a creamier tint to the light.

I will do my best to do outdoor beamshots, but I think I'll have to limit the distance to 20 feet or so, and even then I don't think my camera can capture the quality of the light.

I have no plans to part with my LS20, PD-S, Haiku, Sundrop XP (all ti) or my Aleph 1, but I could see this light and my Sundrop XP covering virtually all of my needs. Yes, if I want a search light I still reach for the Jetbeam M1X, but some of my Surefire collection may be in jeopardy of being sold to raise funds to perhaps buy another one of these to put in a vault somewhere.

If you can't tell, I'm thrilled with this light! And I laugh at the evolution of my collection - back in April literally choking over spending $100 on an Olight - now to this - and thinking to myself that this light is worth EVERY penny.

On a side note, although I won't do it, the XP-G would provide the perfect light for bicycling -

Okay, okay, I'm rambling now. However, if you are looking for a cream colored tint, 100 foot throw, monster size beam in a tank of a flashlight that is beautiful to look at and will slip nicely into your pocket, I think your ship has come in.

Bravo, Don. Outstanding.

Oh, and did I mention that I like it?

Default Re: Oh my goodness

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    {SNIP}
    I'll do my best to paint a visual for you - I live in a townhome community. The units are 40 years old (not that that matters) and are about 40 feet 'deep' and 3 stories tall. Tonight I was standing approximately 60-75 feet from an end unit - I'm not good with distances visually but I tried to pace it off. With the Haiku XP-G, I could light the entire side of the end unit and the spill went 10 feet beyond the edge. The amazing thing is that at that distance, the 'spot' has virtually disappeared! It is sooo smooth, yet it seems to have throw out to 100 feet (again, not good with distances.) Beamshots you've seen where a tree was targeted will be different with this light - instead of a hot spot, the tree is just lit up, with a very gradual decrease in brightness from the center of the beam out.

{SNIP}

I will do my best to do outdoor beamshots, but I think I'll have to limit the distance to 20 feet or so, and even then I don't think my camera can capture the quality of the light.
    {SNIP}

Bold added by me

Seems we see things similarly!

That part about not being able to capture the quality of the light is a BIG reason why I was hesitant to do beamshots. I already suck at taking pictures and I didn't want to put something out there that was a misrepresentation of the beam profile. Maybe I'll give it a go to see what I can come up with.

Codeman! Thanks for the measurements! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Brian

What a banner day, I got my Haiku XPG and Mac's SST-50 w 2.8A burst.

I havent had time to really get to know my new Haiku, but quick observations show a gorgeous beam, that is smooth as Peter Pan PeanutButter.

The three levels, are perfectly spaced.

And for EDC, this light has all the throw I'll ever need.

The new reflector looks cool, hugging the emitter.

High level is very bright, bravo Don.

I may not seem as excited as the previous poster, but I am just as happy.
    -Gene Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by BigHonu View Post
    Codeman! Thanks for the measurements! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Brian
    Glady, Brian. Today was our second day out of a 9-day sub-32°F period, which tied a 115-year record. We're still dipping into the teens at night, which is part of why I'm not interested in beamshots at the moment. It's hardly swim-with-the-whales weather!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Glady, Brian. Today was our second day out of a 9-day sub-32°F period, which tied a 115-year record. We're still dipping into the teens at night, which is part of why I'm not interested in beamshots at the moment. It's hardly swim-with-the-whales weather!
    YIKES! I thought it was a little chilly last night when it got down around 62F! I actually had to pull up the covers and shut the windows a bit!

I guess I can brave the weather and get my butt out there later on tonight to give the beamshots a go.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    What a banner day, I got my Haiku XPG and Mac's SST-50 w 2.8A burst.

I havent had time to really get to know my new Haiku, but quick observations show a gorgeous beam, that is smooth as Peter Pan PeanutButter.

The three levels, are perfectly spaced.

And for EDC, this light has all the throw I'll ever need.

The new reflector looks cool, hugging the emitter.

High level is very bright, bravo Don.

I may not seem as excited as the previous poster, but I am just as happy.
    We need some beamshots of the bathouse (notice I said baT and not Bath House)
    Chris

No beamshots tonight, its coooooooooollllldd!!!
    -Gene Malkoff

Oh mannnn!

Ok, gave it my best shot.

Camera is about 2 feet off of the ground with the light at the same height, but aimed slightly upward. The shrub above the vertical white pipe is my target.

Distance to the wall is around 45 feet or so.

Brand new Rayovac batteries in each light.

I tried locking in my camera settings the best I could, but the pictures needed to be adjusted for exposure. On my monitor, it is pretty close to what I see.

LS-20 High

Haiku XP-G High

One other thing - I just got back from one of my ridiculously early 4:30 AM walks with my dogs ()...30 minutes through all types of situations - paved path, shoulder of the road, grassy area, sidewalk. This light is actually very useful to me on low and medium settings - my main concern is lighting the walkway in front of me from the dogs (at my feet) out to about 10-15 feet ahead. Occasionally I'll want to light up something far far away, but I keep an M1X in my coat pocket for that (or my Creemator - ). With most lights that have a 'hot spot' I have to keep the light on high so that the spill is bright enough to light the area. A mule or a Sundrop might be good, but occasionally you need that extra bit of reach.

The cool thing about the XP-G is that it is bright enough on low and medium to fill the need, then if I need a bit more reach, click it to high and it will reach far enough to see 'thangs' lurking...(foxes, deer, etc.)

Man - this is the perfect light for me.