Miboxer        
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Haiku XP-G

Flashaholic

Default Re: Haiku XP-G

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    The Nichia is being driven at 300 mA on high (AA converter) VS the 660 mA on high of the XPG and since the XPG is likely higher in flux, half the lumens from the Nichia compared to XPG is what I would expect. The Nichia is most likely a 119 which has a smaller die than the 119V or the XPG.
    Now that I know what LED is in this head, maybe I'll consider swapping out the engine for the XML one that I picked up a while back. Can someone please advise the proper method to order an XML reflector from Don? Also, any concerns about my doing this swap myself?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jkid1911; 07-10-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Important to make sure the contacts are properly isolated.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks, CPF!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jkid1911 View Post
    Now that I know what LED is in this head, maybe I'll consider swapping out the engine for the XML one that I picked up a while back. Can someone please advise the proper method to order an XML reflector from Don? Also, any concerns about my doing this swap myself?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Important to make sure the contacts are properly isolated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladd View Post

Thanks folks!

New order from Bangkok, thank Don.

Jim Skelton's new review on the Haiku https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5J...em-uploademail

Great review of a great light.

Quote Originally Posted by EricSF View Post
    Jim Skelton's new review on the Haiku https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5J...em-uploademail

Good for new face, I like it.

Kentucky, on a hill overlooking the Ohio River... literally

Thanks, Eric. Your post ^^^ resulted in this...
    XP-G2, HIVE, Haiku, 1X123, with diamond burr "cracked ice" finish on original Ti clip

Last edited by wimmer21; 10-03-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Concerning the LEDs: I would consider offering the Nichia 219C (Datasheets: cool-white and warm-white). It is the third generation "219" LED with an even higher efficiency. It has the same footprint as as older 219s and all the Cree XP-LEDs. It is available with and without high-cri (the 90CRI version will be available soon). Is has a much, much lower Vf compared to the XP-G2. In terms of lumens/watt the 5700K 70CRI version is more efficient than the cw XP-G2 S4.

The new XP-G3 is more efficient than all of them, but it has a lot of problems. When using reflectors the tint is not uniform across the beam (blueish spot, yellow spill).
    Last edited by The_Driver; 10-04-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Haiku is arrived to BKK today, it is amazing flashlight.
    Many thank, Don.

Beautiful..................

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Concerning the LEDs: I would consider offering the Nichia 219C (Datasheets: cool-white and warm-white). It is the third generation "219" LED with an even higher efficiency. It has the same footprint as as older 219s and all the Cree XP-LEDs. It is available with and without high-cri (the 90CRI version will be available soon). Is has a much, much lower Vf compared to the XP-G2. In terms of lumens/watt the 5700K 70CRI version is more efficient than the cw XP-G2 S4.

The new XP-G3 is more efficient than all of them, but it has a lot of problems. When using reflectors the tint is not uniform across the beam (blueish spot, yellow spill).
    I've used a 4000K 219C in a Haiku and Mule. Not bad but the hotspot in the Haiku was kind of weird, the peripheral of the hotspot was a different tint/intensity to the centre? It was powerful and threw well, only noticed the odd spot white walling.
    Put a 5000K XPG3 Hi CRI behind a biggish smooth reflector and it was horrible, but behind a Ledil boom it's actually pretty nice. Haven't put one in a McGizmo.
    Latest mod, XML2 U2 3D (reflowed from stock XML) into a Haiku after swapping XP to XR reflector. Nice tint but I'm sold on the 119 (V) or XPG2.
    I can't see Don mixing it up here, he has his system and ways. I certainly can't disagree with him and think his LED selection is spot on really.

The XP-L HI led makes a very nice beam in the Haiku! Very similar to the XPG2, I believe. Driven at 1.4 amps it puts out like 400+ lumens!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910