Olight - S1R        
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Haiku XP-G

Default Re: Haiku XP-G

I just received my Haiku XP-G today.

It is very bright on high.

The beam is has a nice smooth transition from the center hot spot to the edges.

The tint is slightly whiter than my Haiku XR-E.

Don has done it again!

Last edited by coloradogps; 01-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Flashaholic*

Well i went and did it. Ordered/paid/shipped today .

This will be my first McGizmo and thanks to everyone here for the pics, beamshots and great information on this little gem. This light literally sells itself.

Now to search for some rice and bean recipes because that will be my diet for the next month .

Quote Originally Posted by chaoss View Post

This will be my first McGizmo and thanks to everyone here for the pics, beamshots and great information on this little gem. This light literally sells itself.

Now to search for some rice and bean recipes because that will be my diet for the next month .
    Ramen/Hot Dog/BBQ sauce works. Also, Mac & Cheez w/ Spam (Spam singles availible now) is also a great meal in the "Got me a McGizmo" food plan.

Ive been there brother! You made a great decision, because after this month, you'll still have your Haiku!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chaoss View Post

Tuna works well, too...

If I weren't such a crazed collector (although my collection pales to most of my brothers/sisters on this forum) I could say that the Haiku XP-G is the only light I need - it does all that I need. Took it on the dog walk this morning - all the throw I needed - lights up a HUGE area - nice tint - low and medium are VERY useful. and I could easily operate it wearing my warmest gloves.

you made a great choice! Congratulations!

Sadly, mine has left the penthouse to the bright lights of Modamag-ville for a new outfit. I miss her already
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

This light has the best beam I think I have seen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    This light has the best beam I think I have seen. Ever.
    +1

the funny thing is that Don probably has something up his sleeve for something new and better leaving us amazed ( which is pretty much a regular thing ) on how he was able to top the last light. In this case this beautiful/perfect, Haiku XP-G.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Haiku eye candy from a thread over HERE - the Haiku XP-G is actually providing the light for the shot..

I love this light! (Kinda like the Sundrop, too.)

Nice pics mate!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

A truly wonderful beam indeed. A masterpiece of concentrated flood and medium throw with easy transitions on the eyes. Perfect.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Resistance is futile here...

I just ordered one of these babies, my Haiku BB feels lonely. What I read here until now and the beamshots I saw make me confident this is the light that I miss!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post
    Sadly, mine has left the penthouse to the bright lights of Modamag-ville for a new outfit. I miss her already
    You're getting the DLC, right?

I've seen that on fork tubes of sportbikes- a real nice deep black.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    A truly wonderful beam indeed. A masterpiece of concentrated flood and medium throw with easy transitions on the eyes. Perfect.
    +1. Took it out for the early dog walk this morning. Light geek that I am, I had my Jetbeam M1X in my coat pocket and my Creemator in my pants pocket - but I used the Haiku XP-G the entirety of the 30 minute walk. Kiessling said it perfectly - "..easy...on the eyes."

Oh, and by the way - its easy to hold on to and operate when wearing gloves!

Can i use the Haiku head in a 2*Cr123 ti Pak with 6V?

Or is 4.2V max?

Quote Originally Posted by toby_pra View Post
    Can i use the Haiku head in a 2*Cr123 ti Pak with 6V?

Or is 4.2V max?

I believe the converter is OK up to 5V which leaves plenty of headroom for a single Li-Ion but 2xCR123 will be death to it.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I believe the converter is OK up to 5V which leaves plenty of headroom for a single Li-Ion but 2xCR123 will be death to it.
    So that means no.

Death is not the enemy, my friend. Death simply is. So there is no easy answer to your query
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Toby,

While growing up, I found I had a real strong aversion to questions of Can I? or May I? being answered with "no". I was also imprinted with the rule of "Do unto others as you would have done unto you". As a result I have at times painfully avoided responding with no and it's a problem I recognize. I have even alienated some CPF members because queries they have made of me left me in a quandary of how to answer without saying "no".

Can you use 2xCR123 with the Haiku XP-G? Well yes, you can but the results will be quite unacceptable and disappointing as well as costly. Please don't use 2xCR123.

PSM has identified the essence here.

Had you asked if it would be safe to use 2xCR123 with the Haiku XP-G I could have easily answered, no it would not be and no, you shouldn't use them but you asked if you could use them and who am I to tell you what you can or can't do?
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don,

So, what are you trying to say again?

He's going around his elbow...

For what it's worth, I've posted a fairly comprehensive review paying tribute to this remarkable light. If anyone is interested, it is posted over here. Hope it's okay to post this notification!

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    For what it's worth, I've posted a fairly comprehensive review paying tribute to this remarkable light. If anyone is interested, it is posted over here. Hope it's okay to post this notification!

Well if it's not OK, I'll let someone else inform you. I won't say no.

Here's a good one.

Hey Don, can I please have a freebie??

Lotsa new photos and beamshots over here.

Obsessed? Me? What makes you say that??

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post

Here's a good one.

Hey Don, can I please have a freebie??

My full review of the XP-G can be found here.

Maxspeeds asked that I post some photos of the Haiku versus Haiku XP-G against a white wall. Unfortunately I don't have a true white wall - all a variation of a beige color. It's been said that the large spot/flood on the XP-G is hard to capture - I submit that I agree with that statement. I don't have a very wide angle lens and if you get much beyond 10 feet that lovely "punch flood" (as PoliceScannerMan calls it) is just too large to capture. Still, you can get an idea of the differences in the 2. First, the setup. The lights are both mounted in microphone stands, 11 feet from the opposite wall. the camera is off to the side - the only way I could capture both beams in one shot. (Forgive the clutter in my rec room...of course, the Strat and the Les Paul might not be considered 'clutter' )

Each shot is at f/22 - shutter varies - lens is as wide angle as it gets at 28mm. Obviously, Haiku left, Haiku XP-G right.

I think the next 2 photos do a better job of showing the differences. Same spot, same settings. First shot is the Haiku:

Then this is the XP-G

Clearly the XP-G has a much larger spill. And the further from the spot, the more the spot simply 'disappears.'

Hope this helps! All I know is that it is the best beam I've ever seen.

Dan, Bravo!

You have really outdone yourself this weekend!!!

Talking Re: Haiku XP-G

Thanks so much, Dan! These are great and really helpful Appreciate it a bunch!
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Quote Originally Posted by coloradogps View Post
    Come on, it was just a joke!

Great shots Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    run4jc's beamshots pretty much confirm what I'd already figured out about Don's lights, which is that Don knows what kind of beam pattern he likes and he can figure out how to get it from pretty much any emitter on the market, which has the odd side-effect of making the emitter pretty much irrelevant when choosing which of his lights to buy.
    I've had a couple conversations lately regarding the overwhelming importance of reflector design over emitter used in determining what kind of beam pattern a light will have and (sorry to use non-thread-associated lights) my experience with both the xp-g and neutral tint MiNi's and the LF2XT bear out exactly what I'm seeing in these beam shots.
    In the MiNi threads most have accepted that the xp-e has a tighter hotspot with less spill brightness. However it appears to me that both my xp-g MiNi and my xp-e LF2XT have the virtually the same beam pattern characteristics, which leads me to believe what Fyrestormer has written above is right on the nailhead.

On another McGizmo reflector related issue, I had a conversation with Jonathan a couple weeks back regarding the excellent beam pattern his Drake/Draco lights accomplish with the xr-e of cree ring infamy. It's obvious from all the beam shots here that Don knew how to tame the xr-e long before Nitecore did it and Jonathan told me that careful consultation with Don was to be credited with the excellent pattern.

Now more than ever I find myself in awe of Don's reflectors and can mainly credit the fact that he makes no small multi-level lights as the only reason for my not buying on of his lights... yet, even though I keep feeling the pull of the LS20 and now even moreso, the Haiku xp-g.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast