Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Haiku XP-G

Default Re: Haiku XP-G

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tim W; 09-03-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Bored at work today, thought I'd do an experiment. I grabbed our little handheld laser thermometer gun, whatever they are called, and thought I'd do some temperature readings on my Haiku on high. Here are my results..

I started the test with the light at 23*C, the temp it was just out of my pocket. The room's ambient temp was 22*C. I took the reading on the beveled edge of the head just below the fins, which seems to be the hottest part to me. I ran it for 10 minutes and took a reading once a minute.

0m - 23C
    1m - 24C
    2m - 25C
    3m - 26C
    4m - 26C
    5m - 27C
    6m - 27C
    7m - 28C
    8m - 28C
    9m - 28C
    10m - 28C

If I took a reading on the fins, it was usually about 1 degree warmer than the beveled part of the head. After shutdown, I tried to get a read on the emitter itself, but I am not sure if it was reading that properly. I was getting a value of about 30C, which seems pretty low, so maybe the reflector was goofing with the laser or something.

Just some fun data I thought you all would enjoy. I'm no expert on such things, but I guess what I take from it is that the thermal management of this light is pretty good. It seems that the design and allows for sufficient heat dissapation, and once warmed up, it's able to maintain a pretty stable temperature, well within the happy operating range of the LED.

Unenlightened

Don, e-mail sent

VladSh, Thanks for posting here. Your e-mail was in my spam folder but I found it and have now responded.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Unenlightened

Don, I am responded too

@nbp,

That is surprisingly cool Nick. I was expecting something like 30+ to 40 degree celsius. Now I wonder what the XM-L ones would show.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Andy,

My XML seems to be as hot or should I say as cool as my High CRI Haiku at high.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jiuong View Post
    Andy,

My XML seems to be as hot or should I say as cool as my High CRI Haiku at high.

Joe
    That's good news! Was a little worried when I read one user commenting that it got too hot to touch when it turned on in his pocket.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

It must be in his pocket for quite sometime.
    As you know, I use my lights when I bring my children for our evening walks,
    and not once did the XML feel too hot to touch.
    Last edited by jiuong; 10-10-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever"
    Ghandi.

Quote Originally Posted by jiuong View Post
    It must be in his pocket for quite sometime.
    As you know, I use my lights when I bring my children for our evening walks,
    and not once did the XML feel too hot to touch.
    That is a relief. I hate hot lights and I would rather trade brightness just to ensure my lights doesn't get too hot to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    That's good news! Was a little worried when I read one user commenting that it got too hot to touch when it turned on in his pocket.
    I know it was too hot due to being extra insulated by my pocket and the heat having no where to go. I just used the
    same light for 20+ minutes on high and had no problems holding it the whole time. BTW, it was an XR-E light engine.

Quote Originally Posted by spyrish View Post
    I know it was too hot due to being extra insulated by my pocket and the heat having no where to go. I just used the
    same light for 20+ minutes on high and had no problems holding it the whole time. BTW, it was an XR-E light engine.
    Thanks for sharing. I figured it to be so after jiuong reminded me that it is insulated in your pocket. Just got my XM-L Haiku and Mule high CRI. Going to put it through it's paces and see for myself.

I don't know if I'm missing something... are the Haiku XP-G no longer available?
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I don't know if I'm missing something... are the Haiku XP-G no longer available?
    That is correct. XP-G Wave Sticky had been de-stickied. ;(

Since I sold all of my McGizmos in early 2009 I didnīt follow the technical aspects of Donīs lighs anymore but rather admired their appearance.

Well, I just bought a Haiku XP-G here on custom b/s/t. I thought I read the Haiku engine has a 3-4.2V voltage range but unfortunatelly canīt find that information anymore to verify it before I put a rechargeable into the light.

Is it 3-4.2V or 3V or even 3-6V?

Thanks in advance for helping out
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric242 View Post
    Since I sold all of my McGizmos in early 2009 I didnīt follow the technical aspects of Donīs lighs anymore but rather admired their appearance.

Well, I just bought a Haiku XP-G here on custom b/s/t. I thought I read the Haiku engine has a 3-4.2V voltage range but unfortunatelly canīt find that information anymore to verify it before I put a rechargeable into the light.

Is it 3-4.2V or 3V or even 3-6V?

Thanks in advance for helping out
    Eric
    For the 3S, DO NOT exceed the 4.2V in whatever battery config.

Hi Eric,
    The input voltage is roughly 2.5V - 5V. CR123 and protected RCR123 cells are what it was designed to use.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, On the 3S LE, I noted that I will start to loose my 3 stage access when the primary is 2.95V on an XML. With the same battery, I still have normal access to all 3 levels with an XRE and XPG setup. Something to do with the VF of the LED?

Don & BenChiew, thanks a lot for your quick response

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    Don, On the 3S LE, I noted that I will start to loose my 3 stage access when the primary is 2.95V on an XML. With the same battery, I still have normal access to all 3 levels with an XRE and XPG setup. Something to do with the VF of the LED?
    Simple answer is I don't know. No doubt the Vf of the LED factors in but there have been a few revisions of the 3S converter over time with level shifting addressed so I don't know in your situation whether we are comparing apples with apples or oranges...

Default Haiku XP-G

Noted that there are various LE versions. Thanks.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678