Quark 123-2 tac: rifle mount and running a 123 tube

r6vr6

Newly Enlightened
Great forum I have visited a few times but never joined. Thanks for helping a noob out in advance.

So I am thinking of getting the quark 123-2 tactical to put on my ARs. The quark has an odd body size but I think a viking tactics light mount will work or could easily be bored out to work (has an insert for 0.8" lights) Has anyone tried this or know of another quality mount that will work with the quark?

light mount:
http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lightmount.html

I also would like to have the quark 123-2 pull double duty as an edc. I'd like to leave the 123-2 tube mounted to my rifle\ mount and take the head\ tail cap and put them on a 123 tube (1 Cr123 tube) and run the light off of a RCR123. I understand that I probably won't get a ton of run time but I was wondering if anyone has tried this.

Again thanks for your help.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the 123^2 head, body, and tail cap are threaded differently from the 123^1 or AA/AA2 bodies. The 123^2 is meant to operate at a higher voltage than the AA/AA^2/123^1 head, and draws more power form the batteries.
So I don't think you'll be able to use the 123^2 as a single cell weaponlight.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would be better off with a weapon light designed to be mounted on a gun. I don't think the quarks have potted electronics (4sevens website don't mention it). IMO, even a pea-gun caliber AR:poke: might break them.

r6vr6

Newly Enlightened
I think you would be better off with a weapon light designed to be mounted on a gun. I don't think the quarks have potted electronics (4sevens website don't mention it). IMO, even a pea-gun caliber AR:poke: might break them.

You may be right but I think a lot of lights that guys put on rifles don't have potted electronics. I really like the UI of the quarks along with the output. I'd like to know that it would work before shelling out the money but most people just seem to use it as a hand light.

I am getting a TLR-1 for my SIG so I might just try it out on my AR as well.

This is what I am mounting to (actually an AR pistol not a rifle)

DSC01236.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pea-gun:poke:. I see that you have the mini stock used by personal inside armored vehicles, I visited camp ripley minnesota in 97 and tried that cylinder stock out for the first time(really nice if you are sitting in a tiny vehicle, rubbish if you want to hit something at range in a more civilian fashion) . So i assume you use the rifle in some sort of duty, and need to depend on your light source?
If so i would use the right tool, a light designed for the job. Anyway, it might work, or it might break. We don't know until someone test it out will we :popcorn:

r6vr6

Newly Enlightened
Not to digress on the light issue much but:

The "cylinder stock" is actually needed for the mechanical function of the pistol.(actually called a buffer tube) Yeah it is not the ideal setup but by configuring this AR as a pistol I can legally have a barrel less than 16" without federal tax stamps, paperwork, and general BS. Pop cans are in trouble inside 50 yds and zombies better not come closer than 150yd if they want to continue eating flesh. The pistol is used for recreation but you never know when the zombies will show up groaning at your door. :sick2: :xyxgun:

If someone really wanted to test the recoil-proofness of a quark a 12ga would probably be a better thing to mount it to since this pistol doesn't recoil a whole lot.

Still looking for someone who has mounted a quark and who has run a 123^2 head on 1 RCR123. I saw a post with one run on a 17670 and it looked promising.

Last edited: