NIZN VERSUS NIMH

357mag1

Enlightened
I bought some of those 1.6V Power Genix batteries just to see how they would work compared to the Rayovac 4.0 LSD batteries I have. This is far from a scientific test but gives one a rough idea how these batteries compare.

The Power Genix batteries come off the charger right around 1.87 volts and the Rayovacs are around 1.45 volts as read on my trusty Fluke multimeter. I used batteries that had been charged about 10 days ago but they were both charged on the same day. The Rayovac I used measured 1.36 volts and the Power Genix measured 1.82 volts.

The flashlight used was a Quark AA Tatical R2 set to the high mode which is suppose to give 90 lumens out the front with a single AA battery. I'm impressed with the little light as it easily matches my Surefire 6P LED in output and has a warmer beam.

If you are wondering if the light is brighter with the Power Genix battery it is but not by much.

I started with the Power Genix battery and turned the Quark on at it's Max setting and let it set on the end table while watching Football this past Sunday. According to the literature with the light it should last 1.2 hours or 72 minutes but it doesn't say with what type of battery. The light started to fade at 97 minutes and was fading fairly fast. The battery measured 1.45 volts when I removed it.

I let the light cool down for 30 minutes, it only got mildly warm to begin with. It was cool to the touch when I started with the Rayovac. The Rayovac started to dim at the 87 minute mark and was fading fast.

Fairly impressed with both batteries. When starting I thought if they reached an hour I would be doing good. The Rayovac seemed to be fading faster when it started but neither battery was going to last long on Max. I didn't want to run them on a lower setting until they died completely as I understand that can shorten the battery life drastically.

So are the Power Genix batteries worth the expense of an extra charger and the hassle of tracking a different set/type of batteries. Probably not for flashlight use but they do seem to work as advertised and if you have something that needs the extra voltage they may be the ticket. Just be careful because as I stated earlier they come out of the charger at 1.87 volts or there about and that is higher than the Energizer Lithiums.

Conte

Enlightened
Hmm, you gained 10 mins.

Now the question is, what is the mAh rating of the 2 diff batteries ?

I've been meaning to try those NiZN Batteries, but they seem difficult for me to get.
Where did you get yours and how much ?

357mag1

Enlightened
The Power Genix are rated at 2500 mwh since wattage is a power reading. If you consider the Rayovacs are 1.2 volts and multiply that by their rated 2100 mah you arrive at 2550 mwh. Meaning they should be roughly equivalent.
I bought them off Amazon for around $25 which included four batteries and a charger. For an extra $20 I got eight more batteries and free shipping.

Conte

Enlightened
Hmm, then the 10 min gain much be cause the batteries hold their voltage longer despite the capacity.

I've never bought anything from amazon before. I think my GF has, perhaps I'll ask her about it.

Rexlion

Enlightened
NiZn cells sound interesting. I immediately thought of my Canon A series cameras, which seem very finicky about their AA's. So I checked Canon's website for mention of NiZn: nothing. Then I wrote their customer service and asked it NiZn would be ok. They replied with a stock, cut & paste type of answer that did not answer my question. I should have known they would be too lazy to give a real answer... :shakehead I haven't decided whether to chance it or not.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
357, thx for posting this. I had been considering alternatives to Li-Ion 14500's (protected or not, just not comfortable carrying Li-Ion spares).

I was debating getting Eneloops but decided to give these a shot instead. Did the same thing and got the charger + 4 AA's as well as the 8 AA's. Will post back with my feedback once I get 'em.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool! Great for lights that need the higher voltage for max performance. Might have to get me some... anyone know the best source for these?

Conan

Newly Enlightened
NiZn cells sound interesting. I immediately thought of my Canon A series cameras, which seem very finicky about their AA's. So I checked Canon's website for mention of NiZn: nothing. Then I wrote their customer service and asked it NiZn would be ok. They replied with a stock, cut & paste type of answer that did not answer my question. I should have known they would be too lazy to give a real answer... :shakehead I haven't decided whether to chance it or not.

If your camera runs better with AA Lithiums compared to Eneloops then it might be worth a shot to get the NiZn batteries. I bought them to power my Pentax DSLR's. There's no official blessing from Pentax to use these but my cameras would perform better with Lithiums so I decided to give it a try and they work good.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Very cool! Great for lights that need the higher voltage for max performance. Might have to get me some... anyone know the best source for these?

I got mine from Amazon.com so that might be your best bet.

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a set and charger from Amazon as well. I am going to use them in single cell lights instead of protected AA li-ions.The first one I tried ran my RRT0 for 35 minutes on max min then went dim.the voltage was 1.3 and climbing as I checked it and it took a little over an hour to charge up again.It started out brighter than an eneloop.

BelliR6

Newly Enlightened
Great post guys I have been thinking about running 3 of these in a Javelin w a NB SST 50 led....:shrug:

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
that's great, the gain in efficiency thanks to the higher voltage make possible that a 1500mAh battery last longer and brighter than a 2000mAh :eek:

and don't forget that a ni-zn cost less than a premium ni-mh (rayovak cost less of course) and the charger cost less than a premium ni-mh charger, with ni-zn we don't need any more complicated and unrealiable delta-V algorithms, the charge is always perfect like a li-ion or a SLA battery

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got the charger and batteries today. There's definitely a noticeable difference in terms of brightness as seen by these shots of a Zebralight H501.

Control Shot:
4261200864_b8346d884f.jpg

Power Genix NiZn 2500 mWh @ 1.848v (left) POWEREX 2700 mAh NiMH @ 1.425v (right):
4261200992_dc4bea0a40.jpg
4260446867_20c59a2440.jpg

Canon S3 IS on M | 1/5" | 2.7f | Flash WB |

I'm not properly equipped to do proper run time tests so will defer to someone else for those but so far I'm impressed!

My RRT-0 is out for repairs currently but when I get it back, I'll take some additional shots.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some of these, just to play with. I think they'd be good for 2AA lights where the higher voltage would be closer to the led vf.

OpenGuy

Newly Enlightened
If your camera runs better with AA Lithiums compared to Eneloops then it might be worth a shot to get the NiZn batteries. I bought them to power my Pentax DSLR's. There's no official blessing from Pentax to use these but my cameras would perform better with Lithiums so I decided to give it a try and they work good.

Be careful. I've seen reports of the NiZn batteries frying Pentax flashes.

Nite

Enlightened
bought 8 of those 1.6V Power Genix batteries from amazon.

I want to use them in my electric jacket which uses a 3.7/4.2 volt, I suspect LiPoly gel pack. like the cell in the MacbookAir by apple.

the jacket also comes with a 6 AA battery holder if your in the woods and cant recharge.

NiMH wont work the voltage is too low to not use alkalines, till now, but will it be too much power?

more importantly which charger is better you think for these cells? the Genix 1 hour charger or the genix 5 hour hour charger. both say they are fast chargers, both from amazon, both with 4 more cells. both with 4 bays

edit-> based on 1.5 volts x 6 = 9 volts, I suspect this a 7.4 volt or so battery pack. SO if it works with 9 vollts from 6 alkies, will six times 1.87 = 11.22 and be too much? I better call the manufacturer

thanks

Last edited:

Conan

Newly Enlightened
The 1 hour charger is better but in reality it's a 2.5 hour charger as the batteries reach 80% in hour and gets trickle charged the rest of the way.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH wont work the voltage is too low to not use alkalines, till now, but will it be too much power?
This seems a little unusual. For heating devices or heavy current consumers it is typical for NiMH to work far, far better than alkalines. For example a hand held soldering iron I have kills alkalines but works like a charm on NiMH.

What is it that doesn't work about the jacket with NiMH? Does it give a low battery warning, or does it just not get warm?