Precharged?

Taclight

Newly Enlightened
Do 18650 AW batteries come with a charge already in them? Can I use them before charging them for the first time? Also, is there a way to measure the state of charge by measuring the voltage, or does the voltage stay relatively constant.

Niconical

Enlightened
It's been a while since I received batteries from AW, but I believe he sends them partially charged, maybe around 3.9v or thereabouts.
You can use them, but ideally give them a top up first.

As for voltage as an indicator of charge, yes, a resting voltage of 4.2v down to 3.7v (or 3.6v, not sure) is a sliding scale of full down to empty.
This is a rough guide though, not an official power gauge.

Taclight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I have another question.

Is the maximum charging voltage of AW batteries 4.1 or 4.2 volts? I know there are two different types of li-ion batteries that have different maximum charging voltages.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for voltage as an indicator of charge, yes, a resting voltage of 4.2v down to 3.7v (or 3.6v, not sure) is a sliding scale of full down to empty.
This is a rough guide though, not an official power gauge.

4.2V = 100%
4.1V = about 90%
4.0V = about 80%
3.9V = about 60%
3.8V = about 40%
3.7V = about 20%
3.6V = empty
<3.5V = over-discharged

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I believe AW li-ions come about 40-50% (~3.8V) based on the ones I have. This is a good level to allow them to be stored for longer before sale with less capacity loss.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i get AW's or any lithium rechargeables in i like to charge them first......dont have to worry about over discharging them.

Latest posts