UNprotected Li-Ions in a series?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all! this is a basic question and I already know the answer that is already NO, but on what grounds and conditions?

IS there a real danger if they are not overdrained, used in the same device and all come form the same batch and are charged individually all ofd them each time?

I think that cell internal resistance differences is the main danger, and that causes stress to the higher res. ones, but not much more...

My case is....
18650s pulled from laptop battery and used in a WA1185 Surefire mod, mainly for presentation purposes....

thanks beforehand, kostas

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks....

and because it is a knowing person like you that answered....

how about a Lithium Batt FAQ guide? whit questions like that?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I'd throw in that the biggest problem with using unprotected Li-Ion cells in series, is the potential to damage an individual cell by over discharging it. If this were to happen, then you can run into a problem when you try to charge the cell, in addition to it not being good for the cell's health in general.

As long as you run reasonably matched cells, you aren't likely to have a problem though. I use unprotected 14500 cells (AW) in my H1499 Mini-M@g, and have never had a problem.

Dave