Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wave of Ti Haiku XP-G flashlights-ended

Default Re: Wave of Ti Haiku XP-G flashlights

Thanks for ther shots!!!

You know, I am still on my first cup of coffee, but I cant tell a difference in tint, maybe a lil bit?
    -PSM

You wouldn't believe it (or maybe you would with knowledge of Li-ion batteries) but my cameras battery is flat

I had just set up and was ready to take my first shot when "Battery Empty" appeared on my screen

I'll do it tomorrow night.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Thanks for ther shots!!!

You know, I am still on my first cup of coffee, but I cant tell a difference in tint, maybe a lil bit?

I assure you, it's more dramatic. If you refer over to the link inside the post, it'll take you to some shots done with my other camera. The color of the TriV is almost identical to the Haiku XPG Warm - same emitter - just more oomph in the Tri-V.

I'll shoot some more with that camera later (gotta run right now )and I'm sure DRB will give some great shots. But for now, follow that link and you'll get a better idea. And I need to replace my old digital SLR!! My point and shoot does better color (it's about 7 years newer!)

Thanks for the beam shots run4jc, even though there is 40 lumens difference in the brightness the warm XP-G seems easier on the eyes but I am very happy with my XP-G the way it is but if I were to buy another one I would give the warm a try. I think that was interesting that there was a difference of 40 lumen between the two I never knew that the tint would affect it that much.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

Thanks for the beamshots

Thanks for the beamshots run4jc.

Despite the <40 lumens between the warm and the original XP-G, the warm looks to have a brighter and wider spill in your beam shots - is this what you see in person?

I can see a difference between the tints but it is not that noticeable. Looks like a nice combo

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Thanks for the beamshots run4jc.

Despite the <40 lumens between the warm and the original XP-G, the warm looks to have a brighter and wider spill in your beam shots - is this what you see in person?

I can see a difference between the tints but it is not that noticeable. Looks like a nice combo
    I wish I could get the photos to better reflect what really shows!! Maybe it's time for a new camera..

No, actually the spot and spill of the non warm version is noticeably brighter in 'real life.' I think the camera's metering is thrown off by the 2 colors. For pure illumination, my XPG is brighter - but the warm version is 'easier' to look at...that said, my XPG has a great tint, too.

THAT IS SICK RUN4JC!!!!!!!! Gosh, now I know why you didn't send me a pm beforehand with reference to this post. I know you didn't want to tempt me. But NOW it is too late. Look at that warm punchy flood of beam perfection folks. Amazing, just amazing. Thanks

Being the middle of the day here I couldn't use my normal beamshot style, so I did a little improvisation.

The colours that are represented are very close to what I see by eye. Not perfect though. The warm is a little less yellow, and the normal model a little less blue and more "white"

I hope these help to show the contrast between the two though. I will try to do my usual outdoor shots tonight if I get the time

Beautiful Job DRB! Such an amazing beam and color differences are easily discernable. Is it me, the camera, or does the hotspot appear to be slightly smaller and more defined in the warm, rather than the white? Though I suspect not, any differences is throw between the two?
    Last edited by SFfanman; 06-12-2010 at 07:56 PM.

I do NOT need another Haiku... I do NOT need another Haiku... Awesome beamshots, Dan and DRB... Thanks.

Flashaholic*

BB Haiku XP-G Warm 2xAA received. Wow Don, you really outdid yourself on this one. Bravo. Love having the option to swap bodies with my Sundrop XR-U. Can't say enough about the gorgeous tint.
    Keep it simple.

DRB, thanks!!! That really tells the difference!!!
    -PSM

Thanks DimeRazorback for the beam shots looking at these now the hot spot seems harder on my eyes with the warm XP-G than the standard XP-G. I wonder what the difference in lumens is with your two lights they look close to me. Other than on a white wall how much difference is there outside can you see the tint difference when you are just walking around the neighborhood at night.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Being the middle of the day here I couldn't use my normal beamshot style, so I did a little improvisation.

The colours that are represented are very close to what I see by eye. Not perfect though. The warm is a little less yellow, and the normal model a little less blue and more "white"

I hope these help to show the contrast between the two though. I will try to do my usual outdoor shots tonight if I get the time

This is perfect - perfect representation!! Way to go, Jared.

Nice indoor beam shots DRB

Looking forward to the outdoor ones

Whenever I feel that it just can't get any better Don takes it another notch forward.
    I would consider the Haiku XP-GW the current pinnacle. And - no, it just can't get any better. ;-)

Unenlightened

My trigger finger has been getting itchy for one of these for a few weeks, and payday is just around the corner

I just really cannot decide whether to get standard or BB

Standard man, standard. You can't properly appreciate the machining work after it's been bead-blasted.

Flashaholic*

Quick question. I've noticed the Haiku requires a very specific click speed/timing when switching from Hi to Low. (No problems cycling from Low to Hi) FWIW, I find the Sundrop to be more tolerant of click speed/timing when changing modes. Nothing wrong, just making sure this is normal.
    Keep it simple.

I have experienced the same thing regarding the Hi to Lo timing. Doesn't bother me all that much - it's a great light.

W.Y.N.I go BB!

The clip is that much more beautiful!

I love both styles but the BB is just that little bit more unique and special... beware though, either route you go you will want the other also!

Tygger, the same electronics are in the Haiku and SunDrop.

Well, such as life. I raised enough scratch for a Warm BB 2xAA Haiku, and my leaf blower crapped out on me.

Looks like a Stihl BR600 Magnum is gonna have to come first. Bitter sweet I guess.
    -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by tygger View Post
    Quick question. I've noticed the Haiku requires a very specific click speed/timing when switching from Hi to Low. (No problems cycling from Low to Hi) FWIW, I find the Sundrop to be more tolerant of click speed/timing when changing modes. Nothing wrong, just making sure this is normal.
    It has now been documented that at some point in the battery's depletion you won't be able to shift out of high, back to low. I would imagine that as you approach this that the off duration needed to shift would become less and less in time but that's just a guess.

I don't know exactly what is involved here or whether brand of battery would have any bearing on the behavior. I admit that I personally only use the SF CR123's and on occasions some from Battery Station. I also have no experience with R123's. Perhaps being of a higher voltage they can function further into the discharge curve?!?

My experience has been that when I encounter difficulty in shifting from high down to low, the battery is fairly spent.

The converter drives the XP-G at a higher current in the Haiku than the Nichia in the SunDrop so I would expect more usable battery life from the SunDrop but again, I am guessing here.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Enlightened

I just ordered a Ti Haiku XP-G warm light and I look forward to evaluating this beauty.

I see what they're talking about; switching from Mode 3 to Mode 1, the time-limit to complete the on-off-on cycle is slightly shorter. Honestly, it never affected me one bit, because I blip from level to level so fast I never come anywhere near the time limit.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for all the info. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things on the minutely slight difference in switching from Hi-Low vs. Low-Med-High. Still amazed with this light BTW. It has accompanied me everywhere for 3 days now. Its like a leprechaun. If I let it out of my sight it might not be real.
    Keep it simple.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    W.Y.N.I go BB!

The clip is that much more beautiful!

I love both styles but the BB is just that little bit more unique and special... beware though, either route you go you will want the other also!
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Standard man, standard. You can't properly appreciate the machining work after it's been bead-blasted.
    This is the perfect example of why I cant decide . I am leaning towards getting standard as its my first custom light ever. I am now playing that game with myself where I am debating the pros and cons of pulling the trigger, even though I am fully aware that I will in the end, rendering the debate pointless
    Last edited by W.Y.N.I; 06-16-2010 at 04:24 AM.

You won't get rainbow diffraction off the surface of a bead-blasted light.

Also, scratches will show up more easily, and you can't buff them out.

Fyrstomer makes some great points. There is something to be said for the way Titanium reflects light and colors and this is certainly true in the case of the Haiku. My first custom light was a Haiku XR-E in standard finish. I never looked back. Check out the "Bead Blasted vs. Shiny" thread here for more input. Good luck.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast