Dummy's Guide to P60 hosts?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a wealth of information about which lights are P60 hosts and lots of details about specific lights, but I've been unable to find much information about how the various hosts compare to each other (besides price) and why you might want to choose one host over another.

As someone who is not a complete flashlight noob but has no experience with the P60 platform, where would be a good place to start?

Are there models that everyone has at least one of that serve as consensus reference points where comparing hosts?

--flatline

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Surefire 6P is probably the most common.

there is also the surefire G2 which is a little cheaper but you have to be careful about the heat because the head is made from nitrolon(type of plastic)

There is also solarforce, brinkman, dereelight, and many more!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
[startguide]
Solarforce L2p. Half the price of the 6p with HAIII.
[endguide]

No, this is more of the same. You've made a specific recommendation without educating me at all as to why the Solarforce L2p is the place to start.

Without the drop-in, it's twice as expensive as the regular L2. Besides the HAIII exterior coating, is there any difference between the two? If not, is the exterior coating worth the price?

The L2p is also about the same price as the Seraph SP-6. What features makes it the clear winner between the two?

A Dereelight CL1H Host (no drop-in) is cheaper than the L2p, yet folks seem to regard Dereelight as a higher tier brand than solarforce.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not really interested in what your recommendation is so much as why you made the recommendation you did. I want to understand how you arrived at your decision.

--flatline

joshconsulting

Enlightened
I understand, your trying to avoid the general brand favoritism around here, which I can't claim myself totally free from (I have this light! Therefore it is superior to everyone elses!)

I recommend the L2p because it has HAIII (VERY important. Don't underestimate the quality of a finish. When the rest of the bodies are nearly identical with a large chunk of aluminum machined to pretty much the same shape, the coating really sets it apart. Don't skimp on it), and is overall very well built.

The Seraph is out of stock and $10 more then the L2p (use the CPF discount code on SBFlashlights).

To some extent, it becomes hard to quantify advantages; the bodies have become nearly identical, with small things like milling quality, finish quality, and price setting them apart. I haven't personally had much experience with the CL1H, so I'll have to check some reviews and comparisons before a recommendation, but I'm curious where you can buy the body\head alone, as I am looking for a possible next host :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without the drop-in, it's twice as expensive as the regular L2. Besides the HAIII exterior coating, is there any difference between the two? If not, is the exterior coating worth the price?
I have one L2P and two L2s.
The switch on the L2P is superior to the one on the regular L2.

Also, the bezel ring on the L2P is a lot less aggressive than the one on the regular L2, which makes it easier to carry.

I like the HAIII coating on the L2P, although I did chip the bezel ring from dropping it :ohgeez: so the HAIII is not indestructible.

Since getting the L2P, I've hardly touched my regular L2s.

The L2p is also about the same price as the Seraph SP-6. What features makes it the clear winner between the two?
I think the big thing going for the Seraph SP-6 is that it comes with both clicky and twist switches, which makes it a good option if you want to use LEDs or high power incans (twisty for incan/IMR drop-ins) without having to buy another switch.

The colour of the SP-6 is a bit different, so if you are into legoing flashlight parts, you could end up with a really odd looking light :D

BTW josh, the basic Xenon verson of the Seraph is the same price as the L2P body and comes with more goodies in the box (2 switches, a drop-in, and batteries). Seems to be in stock at Lumens Factory.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
my favorite is the G2 nitrolon. I run a SFG2L with aluminum bezel and another SFG2 with 6pbezel and Malkoff M60. Cheap and easy to find. I really like the tailcaps on the SF G2's. Thats just me....

joshconsulting

Enlightened
I agree, was going to post on the clicky if this thread got bumped. The clicky on the L2p is much stiffer then most, it took a bit of getting used to but now I love it. It makes a firm, hard 'click' and has a real tactile feel, not like other mushy 'clickys' I've used. I had bought a McGizmo to replace it, but after I felt how nice it was I decided to wait.

The CS for Solarforce is also awasome Jake (SBFlashlights) is on AIM virtually 24\7, and answeres questions within minutes when they are sent to him. I've asked him a question on new years day about the clickys and he responded in under 30 seconds.

If you really must have the lowest possible price, you can get them from itc_shop on Fleabay for for $24 shipped with cashback. You'll have a problem with the language barrier for customer support, though, and HK air mail took 3.5 weeks(!) to deliver my body, and the bezel ring hasn't show up yet, 4.5 weeks later.

HAIII only hardens the surface and a small amount of aluminum underneath it, so it can be chipped away if you break out the aluminum underneath. That's only likely to happen to the bezel when you drop it, hence why I got the SS version :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really must have the lowest possible price, you can get them from itc_shop on Fleabay for for $24 shipped with cashback. You'll have a problem with the language barrier for customer support, though, and HK air mail took 3.5 weeks(!) to deliver my body, and the bezel ring hasn't show up yet, 4.5 weeks later.
That's the route I took on my first one (after Jakes intro offer expired), and it was slow to get here...24 days.

At about 20 days (I usually get items from HK in around 7 days) I contacted them thinking the light was lost/stolen.
They apparently sent a replacement on Nov. 24th....it still has not arrived.
Others have confirmed that stuff from itc_shop is taking longer than usual to arrive.

As for other P60 hosts, I had some Spiderfire X-03 hosts but did not really like them when compared to the Solarforce L2.
I gave the pair of Spiderfires away as part of ksbman's 2009 Christmas giveaway.

I also have a Surefire G2 with a 6P aluminum bezel. It's great, but limited to 17670 cells for the larger Li-Ion rechargeables.

jake25

Enlightened
The CS for Solarforce is also awasome Jake (SBFlashlights) is on AIM virtually 24\7, and answeres questions within minutes when they are sent to him. I've asked him a question on new years day about the clickys and he responded in under 30 seconds.
That was Christmas day too:p

joshconsulting

Enlightened
That was Christmas day too:p
:whistle:

At the risk of looking like a no-life (at least you have the CS excuse), I was texting you from my phone during a lull in the action at a cousin's house :wave:

But yea, great support. I don't use aim much any more, but somehow he's *always* been on aim every single time that I can remember. I'm hoping it's something tied into his phone, or else he's SolarDroid 3000.

shark_za

Enlightened
I started out with a good old 6P and then a G2 but really got into P60 when I got my L2 and Seraph.

I also have a Surefire C2 and like it a lot but for playing around and running different options I like the Seraph more.
Seraph or L2 , hard to call as I like the Seraph a lot.

I am still trying to get a L2p as I think the finish would be worth it.
Like he says there is not much you can do to improve a P60 type host.

The Seraph has just got some sort of status now that the other Chinese makers have copied it ;)
"Uniquefire" and "SKYRAY" copies available on the usual cheapy sites means its grown up and become a father to its clones.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to apologize for my previous post. After re-reading it this morning, its tone was terse and frustrated and not appropriate on a civil forum such as CPF.

I haven't personally had much experience with the CL1H, so I'll have to check some reviews and comparisons before a recommendation, but I'm curious where you can buy the body\head alone, as I am looking for a possible next host :)

Flashlightconnection lists the CL1H host for about $32, but it is currently out of stock. I have no idea how long it's been out of stock or how soon they expect to be able to restock it. Presumably, if they never plan on restocking it, they would have removed it from their site.

Thank you all for your replies thus far. It kind of sounds like I can't really go wrong as long as I stick with the better known hosts.

--flatline

Latest posts