Surefire E2E

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
So I dug my Surefire E2E out the other day and was looking around for drop ins. The only one I saw was on the Lumens Factory website. Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it significantly brighter than the stock 60 lumens? Are there other drop ins?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are all great lamp assemblies. There are tons of threads on these lamps already, use the search function.

Last edited:

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
The M30 says it is meant to run on a single lithium rechargeable cell. Does that mean using 2 CR123's will ruin it?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1V to 5.5V spec seems to come from the datasheet for the boost IC used in the M30. It is listed as an operational spec. The absolute max rating is 6V, which is still less than the OCV of 2x123A. The datasheet says the following about the absolute max specs:

Stresses beyond those listed under "Absolute Maximum Ratings" may cause permanent damage to the device. These are stress ratings only, and functional operation of the device at these or any other conditions beyond those indicated in the operational sections of the specifications is not implied. Exposure to absolute maximum rating conditions for extended periods may affect device reliability.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair point, better to be safe then sorry in my opinion however.

I would personally just get an M60 if I planned to use 2 cells...

ugrey

Enlightened
Forget incandescents in 2 battery lights, I have. 1. - Get the Malkoff M60 and their E sized head. 2. - Get a TLS LED head from OPTICSHQ. 3 - Get a SureFire KX2C head.

You will get about 200 lumens and 2 hours of a flat discharge of light from the above LED heads. The incandescent gives you a little over 60 lumens for a little over an hour, and that decreases from the first time you turn it on. LEDs are the only way to go now, in a 2 battery light. I was and am an incandescent lover, but the LEDs have caught up and are now beating most incandescents.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know about that, I really like the E2e in stock form... it's a really well-balanced light. I would rather put a Lumensfactory bulb and IMR in it. Sure, runtime will take a hit, but it'll be awesome.

rje58

Enlightened
Agreed - adding a larger, bulkier head kind of defeats the purpose of the small form factor of the E2e! The stock 60 lumens isn't shabby for a small incan, but the LF HO-E2A is a step up if you want/need more light.

I don't know about that, I really like the E2e in stock form... it's a really well-balanced light. I would rather put a Lumensfactory bulb and IMR in it. Sure, runtime will take a hit, but it'll be awesome.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget incandescents in 2 battery lights, I have. 1. - Get the Malkoff M60 and their E sized head. 2. - Get a TLS LED head from OPTICSHQ. 3 - Get a SureFire KX2C head.

You will get about 200 lumens and 2 hours of a flat discharge of light from the above LED heads. The incandescent gives you a little over 60 lumens for a little over an hour, and that decreases from the first time you turn it on. LEDs are the only way to go now, in a 2 battery light. I was and am an incandescent lover, but the LEDs have caught up and are now beating most incandescents.
A powerful LED still cannot beat a stock E2E's 60 lumens incan outdoors.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I dug my Surefire E2E out the other day and was looking around for drop ins. The only one I saw was on the Lumens Factory website. Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it significantly brighter than the stock 60 lumens? Are there other drop ins?
A couple of years ago, I converted my E2E to a Lumens Factory E0-E1R (about 90 lumens), and an AW 17670:

http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart.php?cat_id=5#
http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart.php?cat_id=10#

I already had the UltraFire WF-139 charger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CC3KB6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It was a very nice combination, giving good output, rechargeable use and good run time. Beam pattern was nice and even, good combination of throw and flood, good incandescent color rendering.

I gifted it to a friend, and eventually he dropped it and the lamp failed. I love the E2E form factor, and if you only want a lamp upgrade there are several options from Lumens Factory and others.

That said, there are so many good LED lights it's worth looking at the entire marketplace.

Re my friend with the E2E, rather than replace his Lumens Factory lamp, I just got him an EagleTac T10L. He already had the required charger. The T10L is an excellent light with a simple UI, great combination of output and runtime. The E2E is smaller and handles better but the T10L is pretty good and has more output and runtime, plus won't break the lamp if dropped: https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=612

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're a real klutz and drop your light pretty often while it's running, then obviously LED is the way to go, provided you don't break the lens or optic too. In that case I guess you better go with a reflectored LED head and a plastic lens.

A two cell incan is much more useful out in the boonies. The MN03 lamp assembly and the SF CR123a batteries that it runs on can take a lot of harsh treatment and extreme temperatures.

The EO-E2R and a couple of IMR cells seems to be a reasonably durable setup as well, though in the worst of weather I opt for the old tried and true stock Surefire setup.

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what kind of tailcap you got, but if you got a Z52 (momentary/twistie) I'd like to cast my vote for the IMR-E2. It's a whole lotta light in a small package. That'ts what I got for my EDC. I know, it's a big sacrifice in runtime, but that's why I carry LED lights on my keychain.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what kind of tailcap you got, but if you got a Z52 (momentary/twistie) I'd like to cast my vote for the IMR-E2. It's a whole lotta light in a small package. That'ts what I got for my EDC. I know, it's a big sacrifice in runtime, but that's why I carry LED lights on my keychain.

I just ordered one for my E2e. I've been meaning to try one out for awhile. The EO-E2R is very bright, but sometimes I like to EDC a pocket rocket. In the beamshots I saw awhile back, it smoked a P91, which is no small feat. I don't remember what the P91 was running on batterywise though.

The sacrifice is no big deal to me, especially when I'm traveling in my car, as I have extra batteries, a couple spare EO-E2R's and an E-series extender in the glove box. If I need more runtime I'll pop in more batteries, or if I really need more runtime I'll put in the EO-E2R and run it off of three primaries in which case I'm looking at a good 90mins to 2hrs per battery set since the EO-E2R only draws about 800ma. Need more than 2hrs? I'll put in some more batteries..

Plus I have a 6V Energizer lantern light in the console, and since I got my Sunlite Slim 3W warm tint 100 lumen 3AAA light the other day, I've been carrying that in my coat pocket too. Doesn't replace my incans, but it's a hell of a nice little light.

Yea, I run the Z52 style twisty on all of my E-series. I have just never been a fan of the Z57. Probably mostly because it looks ugly to me. The latest variations of this clicky are very reliable though.

Last edited:

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. If anything I'll just try the lumens factory bulb.

caltemus

Newly Enlightened
I actually just got a E2e (hour ago) and it seems like it doesn't need an upgrade.