HP10 Turbo Mode Question

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
I've done some searching and can't seem to find a solid answer based on actual experience. When the turbo mode turns off after 3 minutes, can you just press the button again right away? Or is there some sort of 'lockout' feature that prevents turbo mode from being used in succession? Thanks

Unrelated question to owners, what is your impression of the light? Does the automatic shutoff bother you? Is the beam overly spotty?

I'm trying to decide if this is a good addition to my collection. I've got a PT apex 130 and I love it.

IdahoBackwoods

Newly Enlightened
I've done some searching and can't seem to find a solid answer based on actual experience. When the turbo mode turns off after 3 minutes, can you just press the button again right away? Or is there some sort of 'lockout' feature that prevents turbo mode from being used in succession? Thanks

Unrelated question to owners, what is your impression of the light? Does the automatic shutoff bother you? Is the beam overly spotty?

I'm trying to decide if this is a good addition to my collection. I've got a PT apex 130 and I love it.

The Turbo mode drops to High mode when the lamphead is getting too hot, and at this point the bezel around the lens is quite hot to the touch, though the rest of the lamphead is not. It would be a bad idea to try to start Turbo mode again while the head is already hot, so I suppose you wouldn't be allowed to do that. I haven't tried it, though. I don't use Turbo mode except when I need to look down the trail in the dark to see if a large, dark animal is lurking there. High mode is quite enough brightness for most purposes. The beam puts the majority of the light in a tight spot, much more so than my old PT Matrix 2, so it is not the kind of beam I prefer for, say, reading in my tent. But it definitely is useful when walking around in the woods in the dark. And by the way: the HP10's LOWEST brightness level is brighter than my PT Matrix 2's single brightness.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
The Turbo mode drops to High mode when the lamphead is getting too hot, and at this point the bezel around the lens is quite hot to the touch, though the rest of the lamphead is not. It would be a bad idea to try to start Turbo mode again while the head is already hot, so I suppose you wouldn't be allowed to do that. I haven't tried it, though. I don't use Turbo mode except when I need to look down the trail in the dark to see if a large, dark animal is lurking there. High mode is quite enough brightness for most purposes. The beam puts the majority of the light in a tight spot, much more so than my old PT Matrix 2, so it is not the kind of beam I prefer for, say, reading in my tent. But it definitely is useful when walking around in the woods in the dark. And by the way: the HP10's LOWEST brightness level is brighter than my PT Matrix 2's single brightness.

Thanks, that's quite helpful. I think that's how I would use it as well. If high mode is just as bright as my Apex, then I think it would suffice for most situations. I guess 3 minutes is preferred over the momentary boost of Petzl lights.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about their use of turbo mode. It just seems odd that it's on a timer rather than a temp sensor.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that's quite helpful. I think that's how I would use it as well. If high mode is just as bright as my Apex, then I think it would suffice for most situations. I guess 3 minutes is preferred over the momentary boost of Petzl lights.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about their use of turbo mode. It just seems odd that it's on a timer rather than a temp sensor.

I just tried with my HP10 inside at home. After 3 minutes the brightness dropped to 120lm level, and then I pressed the button and it again went up to turbomode for 3 minutes. After that I pressed the button again and it went up to turbomode. Then I shutted it off without leaving it on for another 3 minutes.
I felt with my fingers and lips and after 3 minutes the cooling fins were warm but not really hot, after 6 minutes it started to feel hot, not comfortable on the lips.

I highly agree with you when you say: It just seems odd that it's on a timer rather than a temp sensor.

HP10 is my going to work-cycle light since some months. In my location in north of Sweden the temperature some of the days can drop down to 20-30 deg minus celsius. Though I find the 50 lumen mode to be adequate (and allows many hours use even with cheap alkalines) I really doubt that such low temperatures combined with the wind cooling effect would mean a risk for overheating if I had used turbomode. It should be a temp sensor instead of a timer. Also I think the heatsinking could be better with a more massive head and larger cooling fins without causing the light to be too heavy. The head is much lighter than the battery pack.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Patric,

I've ordered the HP10 and look forward to using it. Here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota I'm guessing a temp sensitive control would make more sense. Oh well, I still look forward to comparing it to my APEX. Glad to hear that high mode is sufficient.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
got my HP10 a week ago. It worked for less than a minute, after that it exhibited some weird behavior. Once it turned on I could not get it to turn off. After a while, the light would no longer turn on at all! I could never get the strobe function to work.

Has anyone had problems with their lights?! I tried many things, including a couple sets of batteries.

overall, I'm really disappointed with the build quality. I've got a replacement on the way. I'll give it one more shot.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really sorry for your faulty example. I know how it feels...:(
My works fine, and I hope your replacement will be ok.

Regards, Patric