Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

Default Re: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

As pics here don't seem to show up at work (where I am now), I looked at the DEFT on their site. Damn that head looks HUGE!

I'm after a bright thower to take on a police "ride along" but that wouldn't fit in my jacket pocket would it?
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

Quote Originally Posted by PayBack View Post
    As pics here don't seem to show up at work (where I am now), I looked at the DEFT on their site. Damn that head looks HUGE!

I'm after a bright thower to take on a police "ride along" but that wouldn't fit in my jacket pocket would it?
    The pictures on my site are really old and not done very well. It is no EDC to be sure but I know of several people who have mentioned carrying it in a jacket pocket. I don't think it is as big as that picture on my site makes it look. Maybe some current owners would like to chime in here.

It is not huge! Just like a SF M6 with a bigger head & thinner body.

I think it would fit your jacket unless the jacket is very tight fit.

I haven't put mine in the jacket pocket because I don't to get it scratched.

Hope this help.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_torch View Post
    It is not huge! Just like a SF M6 with a bigger head & thinner body.
    I think it would fit your jacket unless the jacket is very tight fit.
    I haven't put mine in the jacket pocket because I don't to get it scratched.
    Hope this helps.
    Joe
    For its size and throw, I've seen no equal [or close rival]...and though It's no mini-mag, I've carried mine in my back pocket and in my coat. It might even fit in a mag lite D-cell ring, but I would be carefull that it didn't fall out since the handle isn't very long.
    Last edited by jsholli; 02-11-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Thanks.. one last thing, is there somewhere I could see some beamshots? Now I know you're going to say, you idiot, this thread is full of them, but certain pic hosting sites are blocked here at work

Worst case I'll wait till I get home, but that's hours, and I'm a flashaholic so....
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

I am really enjoying my light, it impresses all that see its abilities.

I have yet to read the lumen output. Any estimates on the lumen number?

Thanks.. one last thing, is there somewhere I could see some beamshots? Now I know you're going to say, you idiot, this thread is full of them, but certain pic hosting sites are blocked here at work
    Worst case I'll wait till I get home, but that's hours, and I'm a flashaholic so....
    Sorry PayBack; you may just have to browse the first page and the enthusiast thread and corresponding reviews from Lux and Patriot when you get home...waiting is part of the exquisite agony of flashaholism.

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    I am really enjoying my light, it impresses all that see its abilities.
    I have yet to read the lumen output. Any estimates on the lumen number?
    I think Michael mentioned the estimated output was around 350 lumens...the spectacular number for the DEFT is the throw estimate measured in lux. I'll try to post it if I find it again...
    Last edited by jsholli; 02-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.

I think I know where to find the lux... hang on a mo...

Quote Originally Posted by jsholli View Post
    I think Michael mentioned the estimated output was around 350 lumens...the spectacular number for the DEFT is the throw estimate measured in lux. I'll try to post it if I find it again...
    In this thread, 157,000lux @1m is mentioned

Oh, and my light arrived today. First impression was that the light still retains its charm despite the 'FTP' suffix, however I do miss the carbon bezel from the enthusiast models. Second impression blew away all of my cares that the bezel wasn't quite as pretty as the carbon one - this light actually seems to throw further to my eye than all 3 of the enthusiast models that passed through my hands over the past few months!
    I also LOVE the retaining ring that is used to secure the additional optic - I tried using an enthusiast without this ring as a flood light on a walk over rough terrain in pitch black and lost the additional optic as it was unsecured. Being able to use this as a flood light if I really need to knowing that the optic is held securely in place is a bonus for me.
    If you haven't seen one of these in the flesh before then all I can say is keep watching this thread and pick one up as a priority - if you've used any sort of aspheric mag, dbs, a19 (etc) before then as the saying goes 'YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!'.
    Last edited by Hammer Train; 02-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.

OK, so whats the scoop on this light, after reading the beginning of this thread I think I want one!!!!
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage View Post
    OK, so whats the scoop on this light, after reading the beginning of this thread I think I want one!!!!
    What do you want to know? I think you want one too.

I figured out how to add and delete some stuff from my website for the first time. Someone else made the site for me. I added a couple pictures and will try and get more up soon. I just took a new round of long distance shots to show what the DEFT FTP can do. Will get it up as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    What do you want to know? I think you want one too.
    I want to know where to order, and if one is available.
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Flashaholic*

Me too....how do I order?

We are working on the next batch. After that it is my hope to be able to take orders as they come. All orders are received via email. Use the contact page of my web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Train View Post
    In this thread, 157,000lux @1m is mentioned

Oh, and my light arrived today. First impression was that the light still retains its charm despite the 'FTP' suffix, however I do miss the carbon bezel from the enthusiast models. Second impression blew away all of my cares that the bezel wasn't quite as pretty as the carbon one - this light actually seems to throw further to my eye than all 3 of the enthusiast models that passed through my hands over the past few months!
    I also LOVE the retaining ring that is used to secure the additional optic - I tried using an enthusiast without this ring as a flood light on a walk over rough terrain in pitch black and lost the additional optic as it was unsecured. Being able to use this as a flood light if I really need to knowing that the optic is held securely in place is a bonus for me.
    If you haven't seen one of these in the flesh before then all I can say is keep watching this thread and pick one up as a priority - if you've used any sort of aspheric mag, dbs, a19 (etc) before then as the saying goes 'YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!'.
    I somehow missed your post HT. Just as a point of clarification the lock ring holds the main lens in not the pre-collimator. It is still a press fit and could be lost if banged real hard in the right way. I will explore ways to secure that in place. I need this kind of feedback to help improve the product. Thanks.

I agree on the priority part. I know I have a vested interest in all this but in my opinion the DEFT is a flashaholic's must have. So many people here on CPF judge aspherics based on the other aspherics they have come across. The thing is this light is just so far above all the others it's not even funny. It is important to remember that although I make money off these I am first and foremost a flashaholic. In the two years that I have been playing with this light it still never ceases to amaze me. Glad you are enjoying yours. That's what it's all about.

Distance to trees 435'/132 meters

What are the 3 lights pictured from left to right?

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    All shots in order of Q5 WC, R2 WH, Q3 3A

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    I should really take that picture down as it no longer has any significance to the current product. From left to right is R2 WH high output, Q5 WC, Q3 3A with a defective driver. When I posted that it was all I had as I needed to go out and get some new shots but wanted something to show people the different tints.

This picture is the one that now has more significance. The standard DEFT FTP would be the one in the middle of this shot.

We are working on the next batch. After that it is my hope to be able to take orders as they come. All orders are received via email. Use the contact page of my web site.
    Wow, these are cool!

Does the inactive "order page" correctly reflect options we may be able to choose from when you begin taking orders? ie. carbon fiber bezel will be available?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flilow06 View Post
    Wow, these are cool!

Does the inactive "order page" correctly reflect options we may be able to choose from when you begin taking orders? ie. carbon fiber bezel will be available?

Thanks!
    No that is for the Enthusiast model which is no longer in production. I am very slowly learning how change stuff on the site and have not made it to that page yet. The FTP does not have all the options that the Enthusiast model did. That is part of what has helped me to get the price so low compared to the old one.

Party Re: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

My DEFT arrived in the post today, absolutely fantastic bit of kit. Can't wait for the sun to go down tonight!

Just opened up the box containing my DEFT FTP.....

THIS THING RULES

I have bought a few pocketable, halfway decent throwers, but the DEFT blows them out of the water. I've never owned anything of this caliber that didn't plug into a cigarette lighter. The DEFT is truly a masterpiece.

The "company name" pretty much sums it up..... OMG, LUMENS!!!!

Nice, nice work!

How about a few glamor shots of the DEFT?

Quote Originally Posted by MustardMan View Post
    That is hilarious. It has a mouth full of snow.I expect the incan jockeys to be along any minute to point out that the incan melts the snow away while the LED light can't. Thanks for the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by MustardMan View Post

Choppers

I just got a chance to fire up my Deft a little while ago. I've never had a dedicated thrower before, but I nearly dropped the light in shock when I saw how bright and throwy it was. I'm in central London, so between light pollution and lack of open space, I can't really properly stretch the Deft's legs.

However, I pointed it at a building perhaps 100 yards away where I could barely make out the light from a SMO Deree Q5 pill. The amount of light it threw on the side of the building was absolutely phenomenal. I've never seen the like of it in such a small, long running package. I must say, I'm completely satisfied in every way. I can't wait to get a chance to get out in the countryside and really put the Deft through it's paces.

Three cheers to Michael for an absolutely fantastic bit of work.

Flashaholic*

Saabluster....I was reading your comments about the gain realized of 60% with a pre-collimator...would it be possible then to build a smaller aspherical of A-9/Dereelight size (50mm) that would up the lux from 65,000-70,000 into the 110,000 range? Maybe 130,000 running a hot-rodded R2? An A9 will carry easily in a large pocket...the DEFT-FTP will not. A single 18650 with 2+ hours of run time is plenty. Have you considered a DEFT-Mini? If so...Can I be first on your list for one?

Quote Originally Posted by kengps View Post
    Saabluster....I was reading your comments about the gain realized of 60% with a pre-collimator...would it be possible then to build a smaller aspherical of A-9/Dereelight size (50mm) that would up the lux from 65,000-70,000 into the 110,000 range? Maybe 130,000 running a hot-rodded R2? An A9 will carry easily in a large pocket...the DEFT-FTP will not. A single 18650 with 2+ hours of run time is plenty. Have you considered a DEFT-Mini? If so...Can I be first on your list for one?
    Well it doesn't scale quite like that from a lux perspective. The 60% boost I spoke of was in total light throughput not the lux values. It does also increase the lux some but the main benefit is a larger field of view and less chromatic aberration. A mini DEFT is certainly a possibility. I won't do it unless I can beat the DBS aspherical though. I'm fairly sure I can do that but time and money are in short supply so we shall see.

Flashaholic*

I certainly understand production constraints in a business. Just an idea that may be marketable to a crowd who would be happy with less Lux for a more pocketable package. So hows the current run coming along? I'm on your list now. Hope I'm not too far down.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast