SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

Default Re: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

Quote Originally Posted by kengps View Post
    hmmm..... Guess I should have been looking here. Got the email 16 minutes later.

PayPal sent. Let me know you got it OK....
    I got it. You may be looking at a timestamp error or something. I always send the email notices out first. Thanks!

woo hoo thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duboost View Post
    woo hoo thanks!
    Thank you!

Flashaholic

E-mail sent

what size pelican case were you using with the enthusiast models?

and email sent!

He used an 1150 and I bought my FTP case from Tiger Direct here...

Quote Originally Posted by duboost View Post
    what size pelican case were you using with the enthusiast models?

Flashaholic

Paypal sent...Many thanks for making/designing these awesome lights

Unenlightened

e-mail sent.

Thanks everyone. All ten were claimed. I will keep all those that I had on the list and that did not make it on the notification list for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Thanks everyone. All ten were claimed. I will keep all those that I had on the list and that did not make it on the notification list for next time.
    Please add me to the email list again, I never got a notification email.
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

Quote Originally Posted by jblackwood View Post
    Please add me to the email list again, I never got a notification email.
    Sorry about that. I will add you on. PM incoming.

Talking Re: World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

Can wait to receive it...

Wow, the DEFT has come a long way indeed.

a bit off topic, but has anyone played with more powerfull emmiters?

Looks like the XP-G R5 would be a nice prop in ( if it isn't already an option, sorry, long thread(s)).

What would be required to do an SST-50? higher current driver board obviously.... I will have to go way back and look at the origional DEFT build....

Anyway, As cool of a light as the DEFT is, An R2 is rated @ about ~240lm right? an XP-G could bump that to well over 300. But even that is slim compared to the newest higher power offerings.

Bad @$$ light though... I think i see a $200 reduction in my next pay check.....

Quote Originally Posted by h22 View Post
    Wow, the DEFT has come a long way indeed.

a bit off topic, but has anyone played with more powerfull emmiters?

Looks like the XP-G R5 would be a nice prop in ( if it isn't already an option, sorry, long thread(s)).

What would be required to do an SST-50? higher current driver board obviously.... I will have to go way back and look at the origional DEFT build....

Anyway, As cool of a light as the DEFT is, An R2 is rated @ about ~240lm right? an XP-G could bump that to well over 300. But even that is slim compared to the newest higher power offerings.

Bad @$$ light though... I think i see a $200 reduction in my next pay check.....
    I have played with pretty much all of the viable candidates for the DEFT. There is no LED that will provide more throw than the one I use. Some will provide a larger beam but with less throw and less runtime. The current light puts out about 330 lumens at the emitter.

Flashaholic*

An R2 is rated @ about ~240lm right? an XP-G could bump that to well over 300. But even that is slim compared to the newest higher power offerings.
    The newer chips are bigger (more Lumen) , not brighter (more Lux). You need a brighter emitter for more throw....
    Last edited by kengps; 03-03-2010 at 05:34 PM.

I have recently discovered an optical illusion on a picture by the user windstrings: a beamshot of a Titanium L35 and a DEFT. The following is the original photo with the L35 on the left and DEFT on the right:

The DEFT obviously has a brighter hotspot to the eye. The following photo shows a line with the colour of the DEFT's hotspot drawn right across the picture.

Notice how the line is slighter darker than the L35's hotspot. You cannot always trust your eyes on beamshots. (I'm also guilty)

What is the approximate runtime on the flashlight?

I have played with pretty much all of the viable candidates for the DEFT. There is no LED that will provide more throw than the one I use. Some will provide a larger beam but with less throw and less runtime. The current light puts out about 330 lumens at the emitter.
    That is very interesting.

I wasn't thinking in terms of brightness vs. totall output.

But if an emmitter produces a larger beam with less throw, wouldn't that indicate a focasing issue? That is undetstandable if the DEFT was focally designed to take full advantage of one particular emmitter design.....

So, correct me if I am wrong, but if a more powerfull emmitter was to be used, say a big 'ol SST-90, the optics would have to be completely redesigned to optimise the emmitter? Or is the SST-90 just not as bright and will never throw as far as the current emmitter?

I get paid at the end of next week..........

Thinking I have no buisness calling myself even an amature flashaholic and NOT owning one of these. Thanks for doing the FTP!

Flashaholic*

The best way I heard of describing why you can't collimate an LED with a larger die size as well as that of a smaller die was to describe it like entrophy, there's a set maximum that you can collimate it, and that's ultimately dependent on the die size. For more technical reading, wikipedia has a useful article on etendue.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Flashaholic*

That is very interesting.

Or is the SST-90 just not as bright and will never throw as far as the current emmitter?
    Exactly. The best focus you can get is when the Emitter is "in focus". An aspheric is basically a projector, and you see an image of the emitter on whatever you shine it on. So if you see a big 'ol SST-90, it will be a bigger image than a small R2. But the R2 is much brighter than an SST-50 or 90.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kengps View Post
    But the R2 is much brighter than an SST-50 or 90.
    Close... the XR-E R2 has a higher surface brightness than the SST-50 or 90 (lumens/mm^2 of die area), but the SST-50/90 is capable of being brighter (lumens).
    Last edited by Th232; 03-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Th232 View Post
    but the SST-50/90 is capable of being brighter (lumens).

Don't think so.....The SST-50/90 is capable of having "more" light (lumens), not surface brightness (Lux)

Flashaholic*

My bad, output, not brightness.

Enlightened

Hi michael

I got no email notification on this one. I thought I was on the list. Can you please put me up for the next one

Quote Originally Posted by alvinyhwong View Post
    The DEFT obviously has a brighter hotspot to the eye.
    To me that picture looks like the L35 is more intense. Notice how the vertical lines disappear with the L35 but not the DEFT?

Unenlightened

The Deft is awesome. Thnak you Michael!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnw4002 View Post
    What is the approximate runtime on the flashlight?
    1:30-2:30 depending on battery type. I know I need to get the official runtimes up.

But if an emmitter produces a larger beam with less throw, wouldn't that indicate a focasing issue? That is undetstandable if the DEFT was focally designed to take full advantage of one particular emmitter design.....

So, correct me if I am wrong, but if a more powerfull emmitter was to be used, say a big 'ol SST-90, the optics would have to be completely redesigned to optimise the emmitter? Or is the SST-90 just not as bright and will never throw as far as the current emmitter?

I get paid at the end of next week..........

Thinking I have no buisness calling myself even an amature flashaholic and NOT owning one of these. Thanks for doing the FTP!
    "But if an emmitter produces a larger beam with less throw, wouldn't that indicate a focasing issue?"
    No. It has nothing to do with the focus.

The optics do not need a complete redesign with an emitter change. Tweaks maybe. I am working on a thread to help everyone understand how throw and collimation all works but know this one basic fact. If there was an LED that would throw farther than the XR-E I would be using it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL-TL View Post
    Hi michael

I got no email notification on this one. I thought I was on the list. Can you please put me up for the next one
    OOOPS! Sorry about that. I added you on. Makes me wonder who else I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    To me that picture looks like the L35 is more intense. Notice how the vertical lines disappear with the L35 but not the DEFT?
    That's strange... I have asked several people and all of them said the DEFT appeared to be brighter. Maybe flashaholics have developed more accurate eyes against beamshots, and I have yet to learn that.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast