Upgraded reverse lights

spencer

Enlightened
I need some extra light when I back up. My truck takes a standard 1156 bulb. My plan is to break the glass off a stock bulb and replace the glass with 2-pin bulb holder and probably a 50W bulb. Does anybody know where I can get 2 cheap holders and some cheap replacement bulbs? There are some on DX but I don't know what bulbs they take. The cheaper the better here because this is going to be hidden and I'll make sure its good enough to be reliable.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That would not be a wise thing to do; you'd be throwing a 100% overload on the circuit (designed for two 27w bulbs). Instead, replace your 32-candlepower 1156s with 64-candlepower 796s, which have the filament in the right place and orientation and take only 35w, which is not an unsafe increase on your circuit.

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
Another idea, and one that I personally prefer, is add a set of proper flood lights/aux backup lights on a fused and relayed circuit swithed off your OE backup lights.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I've had the 50 watt halogen bulbs on standard backup light bases, bayonet type base as I recall.

But I agree that the best choice is a pair of adequately wired auxiliary floods. If you include a nice ON-OFF-AUTO switch, you can always switch them on manually when you need work lights to hitch a trailer or something. And most of the time you can let them be controlled by the stock backup lights.

If you have a set of cheap driving or fog lights that just didn't cut it up front, here's a place to put them to work. :)

grizz660

Newly Enlightened
Another idea, and one that I personally prefer, is add a set of proper flood lights/aux backup lights on a fused and relayed circuit swithed off your OE backup lights.

I ended up mounting a pair of Truck Lite 4" LED flood lamps, wired them directly into the backup lights. Due to the low amp draw, no need for a relay. They are excellent for backing up at night, espcially if you are backing up to a trailer. They have been on my F-150 for 2 years and no problems.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I ended up mounting a pair of Truck Lite 4" LED flood lamps, wired them directly into the backup lights. Due to the low amp draw, no need for a relay. They are excellent for backing up at night, espcially if you are backing up to a trailer. They have been on my F-150 for 2 years and no problems.

I did the same thing using this: http://www.soundoffsignal.com/white_illum/SpotLts/GHOST_Rock-Spot.htm

I wired it directly into my reverse lamp circuit. They can be very useful, since your reverse lights will come without the motor running (set parking brake, turn ignition to 'on' position, put in reverse gear). These only take approx 9 watts of power and are very bright.

Beam shots of the LED's only, not including the truck's reverse lights:

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
In Texas, you can put very dark tint on your rear window. The tint helps keep out some of the heat, but it makes reversing at night much more difficult. The extra candlepower really helps. Plus, we like to camp. Frequently, we'll back up to the campsite to unload the truck. This will be very helpful (though, really, it's not that big a deal to turn the vehicle around to light the area also).

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
These 921 bulbs have favorable reviews, although highly expensive. Anyone try these? They use IC controllers instead of resistors. I have been looking for a while too for a better backup light, as my eyes are getting weaker with age.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/...e-LED/V-LEDS-HID-WHITE-19-M-p7526829-1-2.html

As an EE I can tell you that the light output is highly unlikely to be similar to the stock bulbs. The lumen rating from V-Leds is 250 which is around the same as a 921. With ~26 lumen/watt rating on the LEDs, I would hope to see a bit more heat sinking, as any temperature increase, self-heating or external, will lead to decreased output. And that's all on top of the fact that the bulb does not replicate 921 in any acceptable form, reducing its usability in the reflector built for 921, but Scheinwerfermann can provide his as usual warm opinion on that if he wants.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
The v-led 8w 921 LED replacement are just as bright as the Nitehawk or Silverstar replacements, which are both lame and available usually at your local autopart or dept store. The only reason to use an LED 921 is to use the power saved for other reverse bulbs like the vled license plate frame:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/...e-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915-1-2.html

921 LED upgrades are not worth it unless you make your own. The 5w and 8w 921's are NOT made for non-stop usage. After a minute, they'll overheat. So, only use them to back-up and don't leave vehicle in reverse while doing whatever.

Upgraded 1156's for reverse lighting are plentiful in most autopart stores, and are usually 35-50w. Check your reverse light fuse, usually 10amp which will tolerate 120w. So, two 50w 1156 replacement bulbs would work without burning down your vehicle.

I found the license plate frame to be the best choice for someone that doesn't want to ruin the lines of their vehicle. I've had reverse spot/fog lights bolted to hitches, bumpers, under frame..... and didn't care for going that route again. Upgraded bulbs is my 1st choice. If that doesn't work, something somewhat hidden, like the license plate frame, is a great choice. And, if you have a hitch, plenty of 'hitch lights' available too.

For a 1156, the JCwhitney back-up bulbs are a great choice. Autozone/advanceauto/napa/pepboys around here have equivalents:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/back-up-bulb-50-watt/p2003659.jcwx?filterid=j1#

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
LED bulb retrofits do not work safely or effectively, and for that reason are illegal.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may ask a quick question while on the topic of reverse lights... Can anybody recommend a good upgrade from a stock 194 bulb? Not looking for auxillary lights just an improvement when the stockers burn out.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I would be interested to learn what kind of car you have that takes 194 bulbs in its reversing lamps. The 194 doesn't produce anywhere near enough light to meet the reverse light function's minimum intensity requirements, unless perhaps there are eight or ten of them in the lamp.