Phoenix Electroforms

Thread: Need Night Fishing Recommendations

Default Need Night Fishing Recommendations

Help me out here, oh gods of the firefly. Iím looking for a rough and tumble flashlight for night fishing. Battery length isnít that big an issue. The flashlight will get infrequent use, needing to shoot a 3 foot beam, and then penetrate another 2 or 3 feet into semi-clear water. The more focused the beam, the better. Itís for spotting walleye and bass. The flashlight has gottaí be pretty bright, as my Mini-MAG will not penetrate this deep. Portability is an issue, as my fishing spots are sometimes a 1 or 2 mile night hike into the woods. A pocket clip would be nice. Iíve got no clue as to whether one color of light would be better than another.

Iím thinking Surefire, but have no idea what model would be best. If thereís a cheaper brand that works as well, all the better, but Iím not a cheapskate. And if there are any ďmust haveĒ accessories, donít be afraid to mention them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Need Night Fishing Recommendations

Princeton Tec Surge
    4AA/8AA

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int....&sku=PRISGE8NY

Underwater Kinetics SL6
    6C

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int....0&sku=UND18014

Streamlight Ultra Stinger
    Rechargable

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int....0&sku=STR78014

Gonz Hi Tech lights SD-6
    6D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7.jpg.orig.jpg

Surefire M6
    6 CR123A

http://www.strategosstore.com/product.asp?3=54

This list should be rather comprehensive. I listed everything in order of least bright to brightest.

Hope this can help you.

Buzzbait,

Nerd gave you some excellent suggestions. Here's a thread you might find interesting.

FISHING LIGHT

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

Don't some colors travel through water better than others? I think its green thats best, but don't quote me on that...

Also keep in mind that fish are more sensitive to some colors than others.

Sorry I can't give you any actual help other than to let you know that there IS info on this subject out there somewhere. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark

Green is good. A green laser will loose about half its power after 20 meters of open ocean water.

Check this out! http://www.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/lqo/publications/proceeding/pdfdownloads/brillscatt .pdf

Flashaholic*

But a laser is only a small spot. Shining it through the entire lake or area is going to take a long time....

I only specified a laser to give an idea of how the light will attenuate. Not to pick out fish with.

Even tho that would be kinda cool..

Flashaholic*

If something so focused loose 1/2 it's power after 20 meters den sumtin as diffused as normal light will loose half it's power after 2 meters...

or is there something wrong with my equation

how about a pelican steathlite compact bright narrow beam cheap to run

Flashaholic*

That will penertrate 2-3 feet in semi clear water? I don't have any experience with it.

how about muddy, murky water?

HALLO, HAllo,

You guys forget to mention the GONCZ HI-TECH lights as they are Water proof for 100 feet and has been used succesfull for fishing.

I did it also.

Inthe forum interesting chat is going on.

Please look it under Flashlight and Buy Sale Trade
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nerd:

Gonz Hi Tech lights SD-6
    6D
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Umm, it was mentioned...

Flashaholic*

heh, johm, ever interested in promoting his lights. How could I left it out right?

I would recommend the Surge it is very bright, waterproof and cheap yet durable. It runs off easy to find AA batteries and also works well with rechargeable. Run time is 3 to 4 hours so it should get you out there and back just fine.

True the Surge is extremely bright, but it's heavy as well (as are most of the other lights mentioned) and the battery change is a pain. If you're hiking in, the less weight the better. I'd give the Princeton Tec Tec40 as shot first - 4 AA's, about as bright as an E2, gets about 3 hours runtime, pocketable, and is waterproof. If you want brighter but don't mind less runtime, go with a water resistant lithium like the Legend LX or a Surefire G2Z (lighter and cheaper than an M2).

Flashaholic*

have you thought of using a headlamp? it might not be a bad idea.

Originally posted by Josh:
    have you thought of using a headlamp? it might not be a bad idea.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This particular flashlight won't be for normal night fishing use, such as changing lures and seeing where you're going. I have lights such as the CMG Mini-Task and an Opalec Newbeam kit coming for my Mini-MAG.

I don't like headlamps much. I just lanyard a light around my neck, and stick in my mouth to use. Twigs and branches will rip just about any headlamp off your head within seconds of hiking through the woods. The places I go are MUCH too overgrown for headlamps.

The light I'm looking for advice on is for one particular task. I shine the light in the water, looking to actually see fish. I've found this method of fish location to be very productive in the past. Amazing is it seems, many kinds of fish aren't spooked one bit by flashlights. Some species are even attracted to them.

I would use the Uk sl-4 or sl-6. Tight beams that should penetrate into the water well for use while spotting fish. I used a 3 cell surefire with an n2 lamp which is very tight in a 2.5 inch turbohead.

Enlightened

Hi,
    I like the UK SL4 also, it has a very tight penetrating beam, waterproof(dive light)and is not to unwieldy.
    In the small,2 lithium CR123 powered lights, you might want to look at the ASP Tac-lite. It is focusable and probably will give you the tighest beam in this class.
    Good fishing,
    Greg

Flashaholic*

i vote for the princeton tec 40, waterproof, plenty of run time, bright and cheap to buy and run. includes set of batteries and lanyard.

speaking as a fishaholic, i want to hear about the fishing!! what are you catching? using for bait? isn't it too cold for them to be so shallow?

Flashaholic*

Tec 40 is better with a 3D krypton whitestar mag bulb

Flashaholic*

Sounds like you won't be running the light for more than a few minutes if you're just spotting the fish so maybe a 123 cell light might be an option. Maybe a Scorpion or a E1/E2 might be an option. How big of a light are you willing to go? Is the average 2D cell too big?

what about a UK 2L

Tec 40 is good only with a 3D krypton whitestar mag bulb
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Strongly disagree, but I'm not going to get into it here...

Flashaholic*

what's wrong with the pt40 stock bulb?? seemed fine to me, almost as much output as my e2e.

i didn't realize it was so bright until i got it, but i don't mind it either. i bought it cause up close my sl20 would "white out" what i was illuminating.

Flashaholic*

I think Nerd means Tec-40 with 3D krypton whitestar mag bulb and NiMH batteries. Right, Nerd? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Greetings,
    Velcro

Flashaholic*

What I mean has gotten across wrongly, edited my post.

Velcro, right!

Because I find the stock halogen bulb a bit too yellowish, orangish for my liking. Plus I don't think the yellowness can penertrate the water much (if I am wrong, someone correct me)

With the Panasonic 600mah Ni-Cds I have, the brightness drop of rather gradually, until it's down the the last 10 mins of usage did it dim noticebly enough for you to see that brightness level is dropping.

Plus if you over drive the bulb, when the batteries are nearly out, you don't get too yellow a beam because the voltage is still rather high (4 cells x 1 volts = 4 volts, 3 cell bulb = 4.5 volts) As such colour rendition is still very nice.

Boy do you guys make it hard to choose. Flashlight overload!!!!!

For the record, I can live with something a little larger than a Mini-MAG, as long as it has a belt clip. With no pocket clip, it would have to fit into the small sleeve inside my Nite Ize Pock-Its holster. It looks like pocket clip flashlights are hard to come by though.

I could also live with the expensive batteries if I had to, since the flashlight won't get a whole lot of on-time.

Flashaholic

I am a big Streamlight and UK fan where you are dealing with the outdoors/water. I would highly recommend:

UK 4 AA - brighter than the Tec 40, although it uses a bi-pin so you can't easily change bulbs
    UK SL4 - this is not much longer than the 4AA, just a bit fatter, nice tight beam
    UK 2L - smaller than Mini Mag, a bit fatter, as bright as the 4AA, has a clip (carabiner type)

Streamlight 2AA Propolymer - not that special, but has a clip, much brighter than Mini Mag
    Streamlight 4AA Propolymer - brighter than UK 4 AA, tailcap switch
    Streamlight Syclone - it has a LED backup bulb (white, green, or amber) plus a xenon. The beam is not especially good but it should be quite versatile. Has a belt clip

All of these are waterproof to something like 300-500 ft.

The best prices for all of these is Brightguy