Need Night Fishing Recommendations

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Help me out here, oh gods of the firefly. I'm looking for a rough and tumble flashlight for night fishing. Battery length isn't that big an issue. The flashlight will get infrequent use, needing to shoot a 3 foot beam, and then penetrate another 2 or 3 feet into semi-clear water. The more focused the beam, the better. It's for spotting walleye and bass. The flashlight has gotta' be pretty bright, as my Mini-MAG will not penetrate this deep. Portability is an issue, as my fishing spots are sometimes a 1 or 2 mile night hike into the woods. A pocket clip would be nice. I've got no clue as to whether one color of light would be better than another.

I'm thinking Surefire, but have no idea what model would be best. If there's a cheaper brand that works as well, all the better, but I'm not a cheapskate. And if there are any "must have" accessories, don't be afraid to mention them.
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec Surge
4AA/8AA

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.tpl?cart=1034836844106070&sku=PRISGE8NY

Underwater Kinetics SL6
6C

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.tpl?cart=1034836844106070&sku=UND18014

Streamlight Ultra Stinger
Rechargable

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.tpl?cart=1034836844106070&sku=STR78014

Gonz Hi Tech lights SD-6
6D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/pbb4506b9039e8c0cf375faa6ec4d8d 9e/fd2f62d7.jpg.orig.jpg

Surefire M6
6 CR123A

http://www.strategosstore.com/product.asp?3=54

This list should be rather comprehensive. I listed everything in order of least bright to brightest.

Hope this can help you.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't some colors travel through water better than others? I think its green thats best, but don't quote me on that...

Also keep in mind that fish are more sensitive to some colors than others.

Sorry I can't give you any actual help other than to let you know that there IS info on this subject out there somewhere.
wink.gif

Mark

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
But a laser is only a small spot. Shining it through the entire lake or area is going to take a long time....

duffahtolla

Newly Enlightened
I only specified a laser to give an idea of how the light will attenuate. Not to pick out fish with.

Even tho that would be kinda cool..

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If something so focused loose 1/2 it's power after 20 meters den sumtin as diffused as normal light will loose half it's power after 2 meters...

or is there something wrong with my equation

rycen

Enlightened
how about a pelican steathlite compact bright narrow beam cheap to run

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That will penertrate 2-3 feet in semi clear water? I don't have any experience with it.

how about muddy, murky water?

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened
HALLO, HAllo,

You guys forget to mention the GONCZ HI-TECH lights as they are Water proof for 100 feet and has been used succesfull for fishing.

I did it also.

Inthe forum interesting chat is going on.

Please look it under Flashlight and Buy Sale Trade
Thanks

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh, johm, ever interested in promoting his lights. How could I left it out right?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Surge it is very bright, waterproof and cheap yet durable. It runs off easy to find AA batteries and also works well with rechargeable. Run time is 3 to 4 hours so it should get you out there and back just fine.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
True the Surge is extremely bright, but it's heavy as well (as are most of the other lights mentioned) and the battery change is a pain. If you're hiking in, the less weight the better. I'd give the Princeton Tec Tec40 as shot first - 4 AA's, about as bright as an E2, gets about 3 hours runtime, pocketable, and is waterproof. If you want brighter but don't mind less runtime, go with a water resistant lithium like the Legend LX or a Surefire G2Z (lighter and cheaper than an M2).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Josh:
have you thought of using a headlamp? it might not be a bad idea.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This particular flashlight won't be for normal night fishing use, such as changing lures and seeing where you're going. I have lights such as the CMG Mini-Task and an Opalec Newbeam kit coming for my Mini-MAG.

I don't like headlamps much. I just lanyard a light around my neck, and stick in my mouth to use. Twigs and branches will rip just about any headlamp off your head within seconds of hiking through the woods. The places I go are MUCH too overgrown for headlamps.

The light I'm looking for advice on is for one particular task. I shine the light in the water, looking to actually see fish. I've found this method of fish location to be very productive in the past. Amazing is it seems, many kinds of fish aren't spooked one bit by flashlights. Some species are even attracted to them.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use the Uk sl-4 or sl-6. Tight beams that should penetrate into the water well for use while spotting fish. I used a 3 cell surefire with an n2 lamp which is very tight in a 2.5 inch turbohead.

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I like the UK SL4 also, it has a very tight penetrating beam, waterproof(dive light)and is not to unwieldy.
In the small,2 lithium CR123 powered lights, you might want to look at the ASP Tac-lite. It is focusable and probably will give you the tighest beam in this class.
Good fishing,
Greg

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i vote for the princeton tec 40, waterproof, plenty of run time, bright and cheap to buy and run. includes set of batteries and lanyard.

speaking as a fishaholic, i want to hear about the fishing!! what are you catching? using for bait? isn't it too cold for them to be so shallow?