New EDC gadget

donn_

Flashaholic
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it.

Lee Valley sells a "Belt Clip Magnet" which is proving especially useful.

50k1901s1.jpg

It's a 1" diameter rare earth magnet, in a steel cup, mounted on an SS clip.

I just got it a few days ago, and have it clipped to the front of my bibs. So far, I've used it to hold a wide variety of things, from flashlights, to batteries, to scissors, to keychain, to screws, to screwdrivers...you name it.

Very handy. :twothumbs

eygen

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a magnet belt buckle, until it fell apart (read: I broke it). Very handy, you can use it as a third hand.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got it a few days ago, and have it clipped to the front of my bibs. So far, I've used it to hold a wide variety of things, from flashlights, to batteries, to scissors, to keychain, to screws, to screwdrivers...you name it.
Does your credit card stick to it? (It may take a few attempts.) :whistle:

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Or your watch, :whistle:

Seriously though, seems a nice gadget, but i wouldn't like to carry a magnet on me, esp. a strong one, for these reasons (watch, credit cards, IR gear and other stuff maybe affected or even ruined).

donn_

Flashaholic
My watch couldn't be affected by it, and I seldom carry a credit card, especially when I'm wearing my bibs. It might have a mild effect on the magnetic compass on the big boat, but it wouldn't be permanent, and I have an electronic compass at the helm as well.

I suppose if I ever get a pacemaker installed, I'd have to remove the magnet.:crackup:

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Well, i didn't mean that just having it on your belt can affect or destroy watch, credit card etc., but if it comes in close contact to them by accident, it can.
Almost all watches have some kind of magnetic protection, but, and with the exeption of some (pricey) specificly oriented watches such as Rolex MilGauss, all can be affected when in close contact with a strong magnet (i assume your rare earth one, is such) some more and some less than others, but there is a possibility, quartz watches can also be affected, and if they do, i'm not sure if they even can be demagnetised like the mechanical ones.

Your electronic compass may need recalibration if you get it close to the magnet, at least the (cheap) one i have, will.

Last time i was fixing a PC in the office, had a magnet in my pocket ( "picker" stick with a small magnet at the end) as well as my IR thermometer :ohgeez:bad choice. :mecry:

donn_

Flashaholic
Sorry, Mate, but the electronic compass sensor is at the top of an antenna on the pilot house, and the magnet will not have any effect on the readout inside the pilot house.

I have no IR equipment at all, and would never get a strong magnet near any magnetic computer media.

This magnet, on it's own, has about 30# of attraction. That is magnified somewhat by the steel cup, but it will not attract even a small piece of steel at more than 12" away.

Any other concerns? Perhaps it will attract iron deposits from my blood, and accumulate them under my skin?;)

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Any other concerns?

Nope, nothing i can think of right now, but i'm sure there's a medical study somewhere about the potential effects of magnetic fields on the kidneys, i'll get back to you on this :D :poke:

mikesantor

Enlightened
The only reflective I have is the saftey orange and 3m reflective.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, i didn't mean that just having it on your belt can affect or destroy watch, credit card etc., but if it comes in close contact to them by accident, it can.
Almost all watches have some kind of magnetic protection, but, and with the exeption of some (pricey) specificly oriented watches such as Rolex MilGauss, all can be affected when in close contact with a strong magnet (i assume your rare earth one, is such) some more and some less than others, but there is a possibility, quartz watches can also be affected, and if they do, i'm not sure if they even can be demagnetised like the mechanical ones.
I carry a mechanical watch. I would be fascinated to know how it could be damaged by exposure to magnetism, considering it has no electrical components at all.

stockae92

Enlightened
I carry a mechanical watch. I would be fascinated to know how it could be damaged by exposure to magnetism, considering it has no electrical components at all.

If the main spring of your mechanical watch is magnetic (as in it will be affacted by magnetic field), then your watch's timing will be affacted by the presence of magnetic field (as the main spring being moved around by the magnetic field). There are some main spring meterial that will not be affacted by magnetic field, e.g. Omega Silicon hair spring, Rolex parachrom spring, etc.

The main spring or component of the movement can be magnetized as well and the timing will continue to be off even when external magnetic field is not presence anymore.

In that case, you will have to run your watch through de-mag machine.

There are highly anti mag watches with built-in Faraday cage, Sinn 65x/75x/85x/EZM3, Rolex Milgauss, Ball Hydrocarbon series to name a few that will give you much high anti mag rating (less likely to be affected by magnetic field)

Digital / quartz watch will actually be less likely to be affacted by magnetic field, one of the reason is because of the absence of main spring.

And there's no way I would wear magnetic on me, simply because my watches would not like me anymore :p