Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just started in ceramics

Default I just started in ceramics

A little background:
    The knife laws in Denmark are retarded to say the least
    Total blede length 7,00cm, only folders without blade lock, and no onehanded operation. So basically only small Swiss army knifes

One day 2 weeks ago i was tobogganing the world wide wait, i stumbeled upon a Canadian site specialicing in ceramic knifes.

http://www.ceramicknife.org/catalog1.html

I started out with 3 "Stanley" blades and 4 days later they arrived, in my Timberline they work perfect and the first one has yet to get the slightest blunt from cutting cardboard daily.

The quality blew me away and a EDC folder might be in order. Checking the site i fell in lowe with the Rigger, I like the inverted tanto point. Sadly it is to long for DK and thumbstud + bladelock was also in the way.

A PB to Phil the owner and he agreed to make me a custom. He ground the blade down to 7cm, removed the thumbstud and disabeled the bladelock. He even included a nylon sheath because he is worried i might hurt my privates while having the knife in my pocket without bladelock
    The best part is that the extra service was a freebe, way to go Phil!

Enough ramblings, now for some pics:

I love the flint arrow head logo

Heres the workhorse Timberline

Last edited by The Dane; 01-17-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Dont go spoiling a perfectly good thread with too many facts.
    Henrik
    Creator of The Axe and the BigM*g and i'm sure more silly projects will follow

Default Re: I just started in ceramics

You can get ceramic razorblades? I wonder if he could make some with a hole in the center to fit my old Craftsman cutter/scraper?

Do you have any idea how strong these blades are? Certainly they hold an edge well, but being pure ceramic instead of ceramic-coated, I wonder how much they can bend before they shatter.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-18-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Do you have any idea how strong these blades are? Certainly they hold an edge well, but being pure ceramic instead of ceramic-coated, I wonder how much they can bend before they shatter.
    Ceramic blades don't bend much, but they don't shatter, either. Most twisting or prying done with blade just snaps it off. But for cutting, they are quite nice.

Regards,

Mark
    Carpe Noctuabundum ! (Seize the opportunity to travel by night!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    I started out with 3 "Stanley" blades ...
    Now that is a good idea.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Flashaholic*

It's awesome that he legalized the blade for you at no extra cost, AND included a sheath, to protect yourself. That is great customer service!

I might have to get his ceramic pocket knife in the future. I hate having to pay someone to sharpen my knives when they go dull.

~Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    I hate having to pay someone to sharpen my knives when they go dull.
    I just bought a $5 portable sharpening stone. It's about as big as my pinky finger and it makes quick work of dull spots on blades.

I gotta say, the white ceramic knife certainly does look like it would make a nice addition to my small knife collection.

Cool. Thanks for sharing this source for ceramic blades.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

How do you re-sharpen a ceramic blade - such as that pocket knife in first pic ?

A diamond stone ? Is a special sharpener available ?
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

Flashaholic

Not completely sure about this but i belive ceramic blades are sharpened with lasers and any sharpening with a stone you do will just make it dull. I got that from a cooking show on the food network.
    Last edited by NigelBond; 01-21-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Yes, you use a diamond stone. He sells one on the site.

Well...one Rigger, two retractable razors, 3 Stanley razors, and a sharpening hone later...that was a quick hundred bucks out the door. But when am I ever going to find ceramic razorblades again?

Dane, I have a question about the knife laws in Denmark.

The knife you bought has an exposed liner-lock. If the liner-lock is straightened so it doesn't automatically lock in place, you could hold the lock in the locked position with your fingers when you are gripping the handle. That way you could still have the protection of the knife not being able to close on your fingers as long as you are holding it, but it would be able to fold closed as soon as you let go. Is this still legal? It seems like it would be a reasonable compromise.

By definition any locked blade carried without proper cause (work, hunting, fishing, boyscouts etc.) is illegal.

The supreme court has just woted in two principal cases where "illegal" knifes were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    1 case: A Leatherman tool forgotten in the glovecompartment of a car = 7 days prison downed to $600 fine.
    2 case: A 18 old guy working at a gas station cutting boxes for scrap keeps knife in sidepocket of driver side door. Picking up a friend at a disco 3am = 7 days prison downed to $600 fine.

If the lock only is functioning when pressed then who'll know?

I just knew that more CPF'ers than me would fall into that money pit
    Henrik

By definition any locked blade carried without proper cause (work, hunting, fishing, boyscouts etc.) is illegal.
    You're talking about the blade being locked open, right? Why is that so bad?
    Ian.

TorchBoy, have you ever tried to stab someone with an unlocked folder? If you had, the answer would be obvious.

I like the way you think, Dane. My only concern is whether the police would arrest you for having a knife that can be locked at all, even if only when you're holding the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    TorchBoy, have you ever tried to stab someone with an unlocked folder? If you had, the answer would be obvious.
    Ha! When I read that I immediately thought manilla folder (for filing), and the answer was "Um, no. " But I'm into Swiss Army knives that don't lock and yet the blade seems to stay open even so. I don't think I'd find it hard to embed it in something politically correct - say, soft earth - and can't really see that it would make a serious amount of difference to a poor unloved individual who really wanted to hurt someone. But are boy scouts allowed them? Only when in uniform?
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 01-26-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: "Thought" has a t on the end, and "someone one" don't do it for me.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    Ha! When I read that I immediately though manilla folder (for filing), and the answer was "Um, no. " But I'm into Swiss Army knives that don't lock and yet the blade seems to stay open even so. I don't think I'd find it hard to embed it in something politically correct - say, soft earth - and can't really see that it would make a serious amount of difference to a poor unloved individual who really wanted to hurt someone one. But are boy scouts allowed them? Only when in uniform?
    I was wondering that too. Do you have to carry your boy scout ID with you or something? Or can you only use a locking knife when you're actually doing something for a boy scout project?

Man, I never knew their were so many places in the world with knife laws that make no sense. It's better to guarantee I'll eventually injure myself with a knife that closes on my hand than to risk the chance that I might someday injure someone else with a knife that doesn't close easily? Okay.

This kind of logic was brought to you by the continent that invented round-tip table knives so people couldn't stab each other during dinner, but it was considered impolite to not have your sword with you, lest a lady's honour should go undefended.

A little history to illustrate how some laws in Denmark come about.
    In the late 80's a serious revision of the veapons law was over due. No more shotguns without license and no more carrying big knifes (and a lot more bull). A comite regulating the knifepart was in motion and in essence the supreme judge said that he couldent care less of what they found out, as long as he could keep his SAK and insedently it had a blade of 7cm.

The major problem is that an intire population suffers because of a few criminals that couldent care less about legality anyway. The criminals here has now mowed along from knifes to guns from east europe. The chicken way! To stab a man you need to be so close that he has a fair chance of defending him self.
    I think that most of the retards here has had their guntraning in Lebanon. 30 rounds from a semiauto and all that they can hit is air, buildings and pavement. 106 gunrelated insidents last year and only 6 dead/wounded in Copenhagen.

In Norway they banned knifes totally and the number of kniferelated insidents was downed 40%. Talk about a law that dont work $h!t.
    Henrik

I think that most of the retards here has had their guntraning in Lebanon. 30 rounds from a semiauto and all that they can hit is air, buildings and pavement.
    Most of the bad guys in American movies must have got their gun training from the same place.
    Ian.

reminds me of that scene in pulp fiction

On a side note, I acquired a leatherman that locked, and I thought it was sweet that all the tools don't come after my knuckles when I'm trying to screw something in or pry at something. After reading this thread, though, I discover that this thing is a big time liability! So, am I allowed to have this in my residence in the US? and apparently I'm not allowed to take it anywhere? (how would one buy these, then, if they can't take them in cars?)

I worked in Tennessee for a couple of years, and based on what I saw of the cops there, you would pretty much have to use the knife to attach your business card to someone's chest before the cops would pay attention to you.

I had a girlfriend in Virginia at the time, and I used to visit her every weekend. The speed limit on Interstate 40 was 70mph. Basically, when I got on Interstate 40, I pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and when I got to the VA border, I slowed down. I usually passed at least one Tennessee state police car each time I drove to VA. That should tell you something about how much they cared about the letter of the law.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Oh, I know what they think about the letter of the law. Half the cops down here should be thrown in jail for corruption. The judges, though, they HAVE to be about the letter of the law. They can't get away with corruption as easily as some punk crooked cop. I just want to be able to explain why I should not be punished for owning a leatherman if I ever get in trouble on accident. This whole locking blade thing worries me because it seems like another one of those gray areas that power-trip cops like to take advantage of, and I'm tired of that.

Disclaimer, I feel, is necessary. I am not saying all TN cops are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    After reading this thread, though, I discover that this thing is a big time liability! So, am I allowed to have this in my residence in the US? and apparently I'm not allowed to take it anywhere? (how would one buy these, then, if they can't take them in cars?)
    Weren't we talking about Danish knife laws?
    Ian.

Yes. Attention all: Check local knife laws and follow them, or put up with the trouble failure to comply will bring. Our Danes can't use locking knives, we US folk can. So far.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

They banned all knives in Norway? Apparently their government is modeling itself after feudal Japan. Very nice. I guess I won't be visiting Norway anytime soon -- or ever.

In other news, my ceramic Stanley razors, breakaway razorblades, and Rigger knife arrived today. Oh. My. God are they sharp. I opened the knife and rested the blade on a block of open-cell foam and slid it back and forth, and just the weight of the blade made it cut through the foam like air.

It's deceptive too, because the edge doesn't pull on your skin like steel does. They should make hypodermic needles out of this stuff.

Glad you like your ceramics too

Yeah Norway is silly, no knifes but they can have semi and full autos and silencers too
    Henrik

Harder to conceal, perhaps. Or maybe they just haven't bothered to make a law controlling guns yet.

Happy-happy joy-joy, I should have checked where the OP was from >.<

Well, I got some asking around to do then.

Wow, sucks about the knives, i just think its funny in the US how i can carry my handgun most any where with my CCW but yet they wont allow you to conceal a fixed blade knife even with a CCW
    Last edited by mrartillery; 02-17-2010 at 01:50 PM.

I'm pretty sure it's because you can kill someone silently with a knife. Try carrying a gun with a silencer on it and see how far you get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast