Fluorescent Tube Operation

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I moved into a new apartment about 5 months ago, and it had an 18" fluorescent tube fixture installed above the kitchen sink. I leave it on all the time because the room is dark and needs some ambient lighting anyway. From the get-go the tube was funky, not really burning completely. I would jiggle it around and get it to work better, but a few weeks ago it died out completely. So I bought a new tube (Philips, 15W) at Home Depot, and installed it. It will only light up partially, near the ends of the tube. I can't get the whole tube to fire up, despite much jiggling. I doubt that the bulb is bad. Could this problem be caused by a faulty ballast? I don't know anything about them, any suggestions?

usLEDsupply

Newly Enlightened
i would bet it is the starter
a round silver thing that looks like a large capacitor on the side by one of the ends (you just twist it a little and pull it out)
they sell them at most hardware stores or at lowes
tho it will cost half as much as a new fixture lol

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Thanks for the help, guys. I think my fixture has a starter, so I could have a bad starter and/or bad ballast. Sounds like it would be easier to replace to whole thing.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it would be easier to replace to whole thing.

Not really. The starter costs less than $2 and will take about 30 seconds to replace. I'd definitely try replacing the starter first, it's about 90% likely that that will solve your problem.

Peter