Growing Tired of Downer Attitudes ...

Budman231

Enlightened
I have been bitting my lip for a while now ...

It seems that many times someone puts up a post and the instant implication is either "Hey there is already a thread here dummy" or "Stop bothering us with this old news" or "Do a search before asking us this question".

The nature of a forum like this is to share news/discoveries, ask questions, and share in the excitement of the flashlight hobby. It is impossible to search through the thousands of threads that exist here before sharing in some excitment with fellow enthusiasts.

In life there are people who would just rather ask than do the research. This is true at work, and in every aspect of life. That's why the rest of us are here. We are here to help provide answers and perform research because we are good at it, we like it and have the knowleged. Use this gift for good.

I know most people are cool with duplicate topic threads / old news. I have noticed a growing number of "downers" here lately and to those I say give people a break. Nothing stinks more than a newb or old poster getting post-slapped for sharing some excitment with the community even if it's not "new".

I would guess that most all topics that can be talked about already have at some point by now. Take mom's advice, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ...

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hey, this topic has been brought up many times before.
If you had done a search you would have noticed. :poke:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) .....

But seriously, like everything else, achieving a balance is not always easy.

Sometimes people post a thread, when there's a nearly identical one 2 or 3 posts down the same forum.

A little bit of common sense is required by the poster but also by those posting replies and hopefullly not being overly hostile or judgemental. :)

After all, this is just a hobby and a form of escapism for all of us, so there is no need for rude and/or aggressive posts.

Ajay

Enlightened

Yep this is what I do when I see the same thread over and over again. I know it's counter to your point but hey some people just clog up the front page/portal with the same old stuff without doing the search. I leave it up top the veterans to post "use the search noob".
I am still pretty new myself but I don't think it's a bad thing to tell people to use the search.
EDIT: So long as it's done in a polite way.

:wave:

357mag1

Enlightened
I have to agree with Budman231. If a new post seems like a repeat to you as a CPF user don't post anything rather than a negative response. Let someone else answer the poster's question.

Just a thought.

strinq

Enlightened
Yep this is what I do when I see the same thread over and over again. I know it's counter to your point but hey some people just clog up the front page/portal with the same old stuff without doing the search. I leave it up top the veterans to post "use the search noob".
I am still pretty new myself but I don't think it's a bad thing to tell people to use the search.
EDIT: So long as it's done in a polite way.

:wave:

+1, most of the time a very very simple search would have gotten someone the answer they're looking for.
A gentle reminder makes them a better forumer and allows them to develop good forum 'etiquette'.

Barrie

Enlightened
+1
i have thought better of asking some questions because of the negative replies i have seen others get and still cant find some of the answers i was looking for despite hours for using the search :sigh:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
It seems that many times someone puts up a post and the instant implication is either "Hey there is already a thread here dummy" or "Stop bothering us with this old news" or "Do a search before asking us this question".

I will have to disagree with that.

Yes, we say "please do a search" But I have never saw a member say "dummy" or imply a member is "stupid" for creating a post and not searching.

Also when a topic is outdated I(we) never say "stop bothering us" I have heard if you have searched you will find that this is an outdated topic and usually people bump threads from years ago.

If people would SEARCH we would not have these problems.

Just about ten minutes ago I was looking for some information. I said to myself let me make a thread about it. But I then decided to take 5 minutes and do a simple search. Well, I dont need to make a thread any more.

P.S.- After all the internet forums I have been on, CPF is by far the nicest and most generous forum(show me a forum where people gift $100+ flashlights FOR FREE). It is very rare a person is disrespected without consequences.

The only time I saw the word "noob" being used on CPF is when a person calls them self it.(search and you will see ;) )

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If a newbie searches and posts in an existing topic, then the same "downers" complain about "bumping a dead old post"! It seems like downers just like to complain and have no other thing going in their life.

- Vikas

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree somewhat but it saves server space and probably bandwidth if some threads are merged. However the slammers for not searching get a little carried away I think at times. I'm certainly no newbie here and at times when I want to know something I try searching but in some cases I just can't think of the right terms or way to search. Other times the search engine just won't accept certain short terms or sometimes a term is so common it'll bring up thousands of threads that would take days to read through. So I agree with cutting some slack to those seeking an answer. However starting new threads on a topic without any search is something I believe should be avoided since you know the terms of a topic you are going to discuss.

Overall I agree with Budman123 - there are some people here that remind me of a grumpy old speckled school teacher that would walk around with a ruler and smack everyone on the hand who wasn't sitting straight and being perfect.

rje58

Enlightened
If the Search function were much more robust, I don't think this would be such a hot button issue.

There are people in my family and at work who come to me for help when searching for information on the internet because they see me as the 'internet search expert' - at least in their judgement, compared to their own internet search skills.

Often I find searching the forums here much more challenging than typical internet web searches. It is frustrating - if I didn't have a lot of experience and a certain amount of skill in 'search'ing, I'm sure it would be even more frustrating.

I can see both sides, and agree that it's a good idea to make frequent and regular use of the Search functions before starting a thread.

But a forum is first and foremost a community of sorts. Here is my perception of how this works, sometimes:

"Hey, I've from out of town, and I'm looking for a hardware store. What I really need are some widgets and a few thing-a-mabobs. I've heard there is a hardware store that has good deals on both, and that some of the fine townspeople here are experts on widgets and thing-a-mabobs. Can you help me?"

"Yeah, yeah, we hear this all the time! Did it never occur to you to check the local Yellow Pages and a map? We've even made it "easy" for you, because we've attached weatherproof copies of the local Yellow Pages and a map of the area to a "Visitor Info Stand" on every corner in town. Use it!"

Then they go off to build -yet another sign- that says "VISITORS! Use the VISITOR INFO STANDs located at top corner!"

Why the new sign...? To avoid, ahem... clutter!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to disagree with that.

I think there are a few downers but they are not the majority. Its the case for many fora out there.

Much like its the case of people not posting under the right topic. I know LED Flashlights is the most popular forum here but it seems to be the first place where every one posts.

Budman231

Enlightened
This is exactly what happens when people see the slap-posts. There are always going to be experts, but I would argue that CPF is where those experts got much of their knowledge. Let's encourage posts no matter how insignificant/old they may seem.

Just don't read posts if it isn't of interest. Plain and simple.

We owe it to the community as a whole, to encourage new/less skilled folks. To attract the next gen CPFers. The more comfortable people feel asking questions and sharing news, the better the community will be.

:twothumbs

+1
i have thought better of asking some questions because of the negative replies i have seen others get and still cant find some of the answers i was looking for despite hours for using the search :sigh:

Dougzilla

Newly Enlightened
Id rather ask a question and get an answer immediately, instead of wasting hours and hours skimming thru a bunch of confusing posts. Thats the whole reason i join forums, to talk to actual real people....not google.

Larbo

Enlightened
Id rather ask a question and get an answer immediately, instead of wasting hours and hours skimming thru a bunch of confusing posts. Thats the whole reason i join forums, to talk to actual real people....not google.

Makes sense to me... If its about a torch thats been out a while, or charger, battery, or whatever, the search could have been used. However with regards to subjects like the tsa I have no problems with someone asking about whats ok.
Letting someone know about searching a topic could be a little bit friendlier at times.

Jay611j

Enlightened
YES! My thoughts exactly. I believe that is what a forum is for, to ask PEOPLE for help and info. :)

LeifUK

Enlightened

+1

I recall asking a question and getting several smarse arse comments about using the search engine. Well I'd spent several hours doing so and getting nowhere, and those smart arse comments pissed me off.

And I recall posting a question and saying "I posted in this forum as I did not know where else to post". And I got numerous smart arse "This is not the right forum" comments, but not one said which was the right forum.

Can't people trust the moderators to decide?

linterno

Enlightened
YES! My thoughts exactly. I believe that is what a forum is for, to ask PEOPLE for help and info. :)
+1. If someone cannot be helpful, better don't write anything and allow others help. Or, if there are previous known and related posts, please link them in your replies.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
Good OP I guess. As a newbie: I searched forever, read a lot, got a general idea of what was going on in the flashlight world AND decided which LED flashlight was going to be my first purchase; without a word to anyone!!! But that's just me.

Some people really like to help others...some can't be bothered because it's not their thing, they'd rather be talking about the latest creation; which is a huge asset for this forum. Everyone has something different to offer; but all in all, there's more info about flashlights here than anywhere else in the world........So newbie's use yer collective noggins and think fer yerselves; don't be lazy but by all means; ask questions.