What are the best "C" cell LED flashlights?

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
It seems most people today are only interested in AA, AAA, 123, or exotic battery operated flashlights on CPF. I think the "C" cell battery has a lot to be desired as a flashlight battery. I have a Streamlight 3 c cell pp lux. light thats outstanding and the famous 99,999 hour Lux LED flashlight from Advanced Auto parts that is quite good. Other than the c verson of the MAG light, what is out there on the market in great C cell lights? They run forever compaired to the AAs, AAAs and 123s. I am not putting down these other lights but its nice to have a bright light that runs for more than an hour before you have to replace or recharge the battery!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Tektite Expedition LS4 cree (3C). From what I've read, it's likely to be either Q5 or R2 bin.

Pros: It's bomb proof, efficient, short for 3C, waterproof to 300m, will run forever on alkalines (at a lower level as the batteries deplete)

Cons: Very heavy and some people won't like the fact that it's unregulated.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I think that the 'C' is a very underrated size - about the nicest-handling 'large' flashlights IMO. YMMV of course.

One of my favorites I put together is here, a lot of custom/semi-custom components but the runtime is phenomenal for such good output.

There has been a few other 'C' flashlight threads on CPF, I recommend searching for them.

Last edited:

jk037

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these for work:

http://www.uni-lite.co.uk/k2led.shtml

It's a little bulky and not massively powerful (claimed 85lm) but it runs forever on a pair of alkaline C-size batteries. It's also very solidly built, and feels like it'll outlast me! :D

It produces a square beam, oddly, which seems to be neither a great benefit nor a hindrance; just a bit unusual. The light has 3 modes: high, low and flashing.

This is my keep-in-the-car-when-I'm-on-call light: not something I'd want in my pocket every day but good to know it's there on those nights when I get called out to look at a fault at dark and remote substations! :eek:oo:

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
For a cheap light, the life gear 2 C cell that Target has is great! $40-, 210 lumens (Well,... I'm not sure about their claim, but it's bright!). Nice build quality as well!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I think it might have more to do with wanting an EDC (every day carry) light.

People posting seem to be much more interested in a small light that you can fit in your pocket.

...but when I go out at night for a walk, I really enjoy having a slightly larger light.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be all that many options. The 2c Lowes' Task Force is a well respected thrower, and I have become very, very fond of the more floody 2c Duracell Daylite.

I wish Fenix would make a 2c light. I adore my LD20, and having a Fenix quality 2c light would be an instant buy for me :thumbsup:

fishx65

Enlightened
I've got a couple of the 3C Rayovac Sportsman Extreme's. It's a very solid Cree torch that runs a loooong time. They have been my cabin beater lights for about 2 years and have taken some serious abuse.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that C cells are definitely an ignored battery type for the most part, but I understand why. C cells do not produce a stronger current than a AA so a AA light and A C light will have the same potential output, just the C light can run for much longer.
However with the good rechargeables nowadays, the difference in runtime isn't even that huge. I believe a NIMH AA is 2500mah and a alkaline C is 4500mah approx and varying from brand to brand, so you are getting maybe double the runtime. I think it is easy then to see would choose significantly smaller size and weight over the runtime of C's, especially when you can just carry extra batteries. Of course you could get NIMH C's but they are very very expensive.

Of course, this is just comparing C and AA. Of course the other reason C batteries don't get used much anymore is because of cr123's, 14500's, 1860's etc.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm no expert on batteries.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as to your original topic, check out the Lumapower Mentor, supoosed to be quite good.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you're right about the price, sorry, I thought they were more expensive, and I just looked chargers that can handle C's aren't that expensive either. Still, a NIMH C is basically just two NIMH AA's and a 2xAA light with an extra set of batteries will give you the same runtime and output as a 2xC light with less weight when you are using NIMH's, because there is so much more metal in a C cell light.

Of course, sometimes a heavier light is definitely a good thing. Sales would indicate though that most people don't buy flashlights for the purpose of beating people.

Also, I don't think Alkaline C's are 9500mah but I'm not sure.

ptolemy

Enlightened
I have a 26650 cell, which is a bit longer C size cell at 4000mah with sst50 3 level dropin. on low level it can run 3-4 hours:) but if i need to blind someone it can pull 500+ lumens

that's a great flexibility

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The metal River Rock light sold at Target a while back was powered by two C cells. It employed an optic to produce an ultra narrow beam of light with no spill and was of limited utility.

The Dane

Enlightened
MagLite

From standard to 5xMCE in a mod:twothumbs
3xSSR-90 remains and so do 5xSSR-90, but they'll be ever so sweeeeeeeeet!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I assume the Task Force 2C is still available at Lowe's. I've got the older, but very similar Advanced Auto 2C Luxeon. The newest is a Cree P4, I think. Great throwers.

Geoff

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
link energizer datasheets quote the capacity of their Alkaline C around 8000mAh. But this is only at very low current (25mA). Capacity of alkalines drops off very quickly as the current increases.

Better off with NiMh over 500mA

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, 2C and 3C are very comfortable sizes and just the right ratio of length to width. I very much prefer them to 2AA, 3AA and 2x 18650.

Some favorite C lights:

• ProPoly 3C Lux
  • Lambda ProCharger -3x C cells for higher output
  • LumaRay -more of a conversation piece at this point, but still a decent light
  • 3x "C" Mag85 -my most-used incan
  • 2x "C" hotwires (Mag11, Mag61, ROP)
And, the 3C Lambda Revolution that sits on my bedside table... :D

As long as my AW "C" are usable, and the AccuPower LSD C cells (or similar) are available, C's will be well-used in our house.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the taskforce 2c, I've had mine for about a year now and use it as a beater and its held up fine. And its also one of my brightest lights too.