Best flashlight for a Police Officer?

k59

Newly Enlightened
Ok.. New to posting on CPF, but have used you guys before to help. I've got the standard issue Streamlight incandescent, and recently purchased a small Fenix TK-11 R2 (two of them, one for my AR-15!). I love the Fenix, and use it with some rechargeable batteries; it's a great light. I'm looking at getting another light as my primary, and wanted your suggestions. I'm thinking $200 at the max to spend on the light, with whatever price the rechargeable batteries and charger are is fine. I got sparked on a new flashlight by seeing the new Fenix TK-40, and was wondering if this should be my next new light! Any suggestions? As most of you know, in my line of work, an flashlight can never be bright enough. Hope you can help.

k59

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Your post will elicit I don't know how many "Welcome's" and other responses, but there certainly is a wealth of information here.

Be sure to check out Peak's LEO lights:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230283

Tons of options, including battery compartments for just about any combination of batteries you might ever want or need, switches, and power levels. My favorite is the Night Patrol in stainless steel:

IMG0021-1-1-1.jpg

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
+1 Night Patrol or First Responder....

Original post from Curt R
This is an endorsement for the FR1000S:

It is from "US Corrections Special Operations Group."
__________________________________________________ _______

"After many years of using tactical lights during real world corrections special operations incidents the PEAK FR 1000 is the most advanced hand held light I have ever used. The inmates do not know what to think of it and most of all it is simply "Kills the dark with the Light.""

Senior Team Leader
SDU Team-1

*** UNCLASSIFIED Sent From SAT COMM ***
"Una Caterva, Una Pugna"

US C-SOG http://www.corspecops.com

__________________________________________________ _____

They now have 40 FR1000S, 20 FR400S, 2 FR1000A, and a FR600A.
This is a real hard core outfit. These people go into prison riots where they encounter the baddest. meanest hombres on the planet. They have mounted some of our lights on their shotguns and pictured them on the side of their mobile training trailer.

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
Welcome, With all the gear a LEO has to carry I would suggest nothing larger then the Fenix you have now. JetBeam might be a good place to look. Good luck.

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
I have a O-Light M20 Warrior Premium that I use everyday on patrol and I absolutely LOVE it. I am actually thinking about buying the M21 and putting the M20 on my rifle. I have the mount now but I need to take off the pocket clip for it to mount correctly. The light is definitely clean and takes a beating.

I also thought about the TK40 but its just a little too big and its not rechargeable..

Dougzilla

Newly Enlightened
Im not a police officer, but a Delaware State Trooper that responded to a car accident in front a my house about a month ago, had a Brite Strike Tactical Blue Dot flashlight.

This thing was impressive to say the least. It through a round crisp blue spot clear across my corn field and lit up the tree line. It also had that nasty strobe feature and hi/lo settings. Was also rechargeable with an AC adapter.

They also make a very brite flashlight/camera model that takes 2 hours of video with audio, to document things during traffic stops, etc...

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
If I were an officer I'd trust nothing other than a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M60 module. Compact in size enough for belt carry, lifetime warranty on the light, 90 minutes of 200+ lumens of light from the module with a great combination of flood and spot. I definitely would not use rechargables with a primary carry light as they tend to die completely without warning whereas primary cells (123), will fade out gradually. Not worth taking a chance on having the light die at absolutely the wrong moment.

Geban

Newly Enlightened
I have both the TK40 and the Olight M21.
The TK40 is like a wall of light, and even though it has quite a large hotspot it is a decent thrower.
The only drawback is its size, it´s nothing I would carry on my duty belt, so it stays in the car most of the time.
I run it on Eneloop batteries that you can recharge.

The M21 has a large hotspot and puts out a lot of light, but won´t throw that far.
This is the light I carry on my duty belt, and it works rather well, though I would want some more throw.

I gave my sister a Olight M20, she is a K9 officer here in Sweden and she just loves it.
I have actualy been thinking of getting one for myselfe because it has more throw than the M21, but I guess it all depends on what you like.
Either that one or the JetBeam RRT-2 Raptor would be my choice, unless you are willing to sacrifice some comfort with the TK40 being a larger flashligt.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and :welcome:

There are many threads on what light is suitable for an LEO, you can click here and have a look see.

You might want to take a look at the Olight M30 Triton, that light is unique in that there is instant access to strobe in case you need it to disorient a suspect. For most if not all other lights, you either have to click to change modes, twist the head etc.

What would your specific needs be? Brighter is better? The Olight M21 looks to be pretty bright using the latest in LED technology too, the SST-50 if i recall correctly.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Welcome aboard! As an officer and an avid follower of this forum I can positively tell you that you are about to become inundated with about a million and one recommendations from everyone here! We are a very helpful group but sometimes the responses becoming overwhelming when trying to make an educated decision. Take everything into account and decide for yourself!

I have been in LE for 11 years with the last 6 on SWAT. I have used and own more lights than I care to remember.

Cliff Notes version:

1) Keep it relatively small. Larger lights are just too heavy for real world operations or duty use. The TK40 would be too large!

2) If you work nights than rechargeable are a must!

3) Use something that is trusted and has real world LE / MIL use already under its belt.

4) I think the previous mentioned Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M60 is perfect for duty use. Two RCR123's and you're good to go! But it's pricey!

- Other lights for consideration: EagleTac T10LC2 (296 / 60 lumens). I have been using this light for over a year and would have to say it one of the most durable duty lights I've ever used! Its been dropped, shot during training with .40 cal Glock, and run over by a cruiser. Its still works and it will be on my belt tonight when I report for duty at 2300 hours. The EagleTac T100C2 Mark II is also a favorite! Both use 18650 rechargeable batteries and are duty ready.

Listen to all of the advice from everyone here because there is a wealth of information available on this forum, but particularly pay attention to what your brother / sister officers are saying about their lights. Real world use is sometimes much different than recreational use.

:welcome:

kwkarth

Enlightened
If I were an officer I'd trust nothing other than a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M60 module. Compact in size enough for belt carry, lifetime warranty on the light, 90 minutes of 200+ lumens of light from the module with a great combination of flood and spot. I definitely would not use rechargables with a primary carry light as they tend to die completely without warning whereas primary cells (123), will fade out gradually. Not worth taking a chance on having the light die at absolutely the wrong moment.

You know what they say about a guy with a new hammer... Every problem looks like a nail.

I recently bought an Elzetta ZFL-M60. The host includes a Malkoff M-60 module. To me, it makes the C2 almost look cheap. It seems to me like the perfect backup duty light. Check it out at PTS. Under 120 bux right now.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6699

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome,

I like to add my suggestion for the Jetbeam RRT-2. Has a solid feel and build to it, I like its tough crenelated stainless steel bezel ring. The smooth and silent revolving UI allows flexibility to have the light switched on in any given modes. Also, allows you to go in standby (off) mode silently without having to "click". A smooth anti-clockwise turn will activate Strobe immediately, then high/med/low. Not sure if these features are tactical for you ;) It takes the same batteries as your TK11 (CR123/18650). It does has the ability to focus the beam a little spot and flood.

gilly

Enlightened
Definitely consider a Jetbeam M1X. I carry one in my cruiser along with an Olight M20. The M1X gives you similar output to the TK40, but with a less bulky form factor, and better battery options (3 x CR123 or 4 x CR123 / 2 x 18650 with extension tube). It is a massively powerful, well-built light. Check out the review here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230019

Be safe - good luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
You know what they say about a guy with a new hammer... Every problem looks like a nail.

I recently bought an Elzetta ZFL-M60. The host includes a Malkoff M-60 module. To me, it makes the C2 almost look cheap. It seems to me like the perfect backup duty light. Check it out at PTS. Under 120 bux right now.

My recommendation comes from using surefires for years and putting hundreds of batteries through them without problems. Mine have been dropped onto concrete numerous times, left running until hot without led failure, and even once lost in the snow and found a month later frozen into the ground, (I still use it daily). The Malkoff module has a stellar reputation and I trust it as well. No disrespect to any other lights, but check the forums for threads on all the problems people are having with them, often right out of the box. I have some other brands of lights, and know about some of these problems firsthand, having gotten two M1X's in a row with problems. So please don't make comments about me without knowing of what you speak. You just bought a light and are ready to recommend it without it having proven itself. Talk about a guy with a new hammer...

kwkarth

Enlightened
My recommendation comes from using surefires for years and putting hundreds of batteries through them without problems. Mine have been dropped onto concrete numerous times, left running until hot without led failure, and even once lost in the snow and found a month later frozen into the ground, (I still use it daily). The Malkoff module has a stellar reputation and I trust it as well. No disrespect to any other lights, but check the forums for threads on all the problems people are having with them, often right out of the box. I have some other brands of lights, and know about some of these problems firsthand, having gotten two M1X's in a row with problems. So please don't make comments about me without knowing of what you speak. You just bought a light and are ready to recommend it without it having proven itself. Talk about a guy with a new hammer...

I made no comment about you. I'm not sure how you came up with that. Talk about a guy with a new hammer? I WAS talking about me slick!

Further;

Both lights we're talking about here are made in the USA, built tough as nails, and both use the same Malkoff M-60. I have owned a Surefire C3 for years and it's a good light. IMHO, the Elzetta is built better and is more rugged. It's remarkably compact as well.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fun fact: the M60 will run for hours on regulation on one 18650, and will give you another hour or two of fading light after that - no sudden cutoff - until the battery protection circuit cuts out. Alternately, an inherently safe chemistry like the IMR-18650 can be used, eliminating the protection cutout as well as decreasing the risk of fire or explosion somewhat, but runtimes (at low drain, but the M60 is not low drain) can be compromised somewhat - but under high loads, they can last as long or longer.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Without this turning into a slam fest of whose light is better lets keep in mind that someone less experience is looking to get a bit of real world feedback from those of us who use lights on a daily basis! Everyone has their ideas of what is a useful tool and our opinions vary! There are some lights that have had some issues but in all I think those issues have been sparingly minor. Lets all keep in mind that everything mechanical will fail. That being said I am also of the mind that it shouldn't fail the moment you get it out of the package. But lets also remember that Surefire products have some of the same issues that the "other" brands have as well. Luckily Surefire's reputation for customer service is second to none! Sorry guys...I kinda got side tracked a bit...

SureAddicted

Enlightened
k59, To answer your question about which is the best flashlight for a Police Officer, it's impossible to answer. The reason being every single person is different, unique. An example, you wont see everyone wearing the same clothes, color, style etc. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, though I'm guessing you know this by now. It's the same when it comes to flashlights. What might suit me might not work for you, a good example is how the US military has a totally different opinion on lights compared to the US Corrections Special Operations Group.
There have been some good responses on recommendations,(so I'm going to avoid that bit) weigh them up, make a short list and do the research on the lights you like, every light has pro's and con's. It's a good idea to keep it to a size that you can manipulate with one hand, basically it's a must. Policetacteam has given some good points, but in the end it's up to you to gather the relevant info on the tools to help in your decision process.

Last edited: