D10, Defender, or Extreme?

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
Decided on a Nitecore for EDC and can't decide between these three! The D10 and Defender would allow me too stay AA, and I can choose between clicky and piston drive. I like the piston drive, but think it may turn itself on constantly in cargo pants pockets or other similar situations. The Extreme R2 is brighter, but I would have the expense and inconvenience of CR 123's, plus I worry about the venting, although this seems too happen mostly when they are run in series. If I went with 123's, I would have too stockpile Battery Station or another cheaper brand, and, God forbid, if the house burnt down, I'd NEVER hear the end of it! Maybe I've already talked myself into the AA's. Thoughts?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The D10 is very fun to play with, so that makes it a great EDC. On rare occasions, I discover that it has turned on in my pocket, but that is rare and now that I have the clip, it doesn't ever happen anymore.

And if you do carry it in your pocket, just set it on the lowest setting and you won't get a warm leg or unnecessarily drain your battery. If using rechargeable batteries, that won't matter anyway.

blub

Enlightened
I love my NDI and if you want it brighter use a 14500, I had been out of the flashlight loop for awhile, came back and wow, couldn't believe the light the NDI puts out on an AA. It's built great and you can't go wrong.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
D10:twothumbs I love it, it has never accidental turned on in my pocket.

I also have the extreme, but i hate it. When head is loosened i almost always accidental start the ramp sequence.. The fins on the head is not pocket friendly at all (if you try to use the clip) The Only time i use the extreme (well half of it) is with the valiant head and a malkoffm30w.

Jida

Newly Enlightened
D10.

It puts out the perfect amount of light+hotspot for general use, is a small pocket friendly format, AA with Eneloops = perfect, simple to give to others to use, etc.

I am very impressed with mine. The wife uses it now and she is in love with it.

Carried for a year from general use to walks to doing house duties and it has held up very well.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I love pocket rockets, so the extra lumens from the NiteCore Extreme Infinity R2 is worth the small investment in RCR123's to me (and if you don't mind a slightly larger NiteCore, the SR3 throws just a little better, is cheaper if the 4Sevens coupon code still works, and is easier to select the lower modes).

Besides, RCR123's are an extremely popular rechargeable battery option so they won't go to waste as you expand your flashlight collection. They're also something like $7.50/each (get at least two: one for the light, and a backup battery), and an introductory charger (Ultrafire WF-139?) is $18. The rechargeables will easily pay for themselves, and then some, over the life of the flashlight.

Raytech

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a D10 in a fenix holster on my belt. I love the piston drive. If your worried about accidental turn on all you have to do to prevent it is loosen the head.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edc a D10 with Eneloops and I love it. It's great to have a good rechargeable option for edc. If you need more lumens, run a 14500 in it.

crocodilo

Enlightened
The piston lights' UI and shape are better suited for EDC than the Infinity models (Defender and Extreme), but 123 batts are a major advantage, and the Nitecores are compatible with protected rechargeables (not only free lumens, but free high power lumens).

Hence, my advice: the EX10. Smaller than the D10, more powerfull, better runtimes, same advantages.

I own an EX10 (Q5), a D10 (R2), a Defender (R2) and I've got an Extreme incoming. No doubt that the 123 flashlights are superior (to me, that is). Plus, a Q5 EX10 is probably cheaper than an R2 D10, and the EX10 has a stainless bezel that better protects the head.

Regardless of all that's written above, any of these lights is very, very decent for EDC (possible exception of NEX's body shape, that I really haven't handled yet).

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses and advice! Right at this moment I'm leaning towards the D10. I have heard lots of good things for quite awhile about these, but I can't pull the trigger on this for a week or so yet, and will probably change my mind 3-4 times before then! AA's are so abundant and easy to procure! Every time I go into wal mart, depot, costco ,etc., I grab a 16 pack of Duracells for about $10- and stash them all over the house, cars, etc! Might as well chip away at an existing fuel source! Maybe add a 2 AA D20 somewhere down the road!

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
Throw up another +1 for the NDI. I got mine about a month ago and have been using the heck out of it on 14500s.

With availability in mind, I chose the NDI as my EDC. You can always find a AA when/if you desperately need it.

I wanted to have a light that I knew I could always find batteries for in a worst-case scenario and the NDI does that for me :D

No matter which Nitecore you choose, you're guaranteed to own a fantastic light.

Good luck!

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between my D10 and my EX10 I have never had either of my PD lights turn on accidentally. Not while wearing cargo pants, cargo shorts, bell bottoms, Wranglers, spandex or Speedos. Least of all the cargo pants though! :naughty: D10 would be my choice!

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I ordered and rec'd a Defender R2. It didn't come in one of those cool boxes with a latch on the front, is that normal? Also, it doesn't look black or grey to me, seems a little brown...like oil. Can anyone confirm the box and the color?
Thanks,
p

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be the black box with latch for Q5 and R2 (XR-E). Not sure if they have changed it for R2 (XP-E). :thinking:
The dark brown is normal, different batches different ano variations.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote: Nitecore EX10 SP R2 + 1 x Ultrafire WF-139 charger with 2 x AWICR123's - great combo and really bright!!! Plus it's smaller & brighter than a D10.

I used to buy only AA lights but I have found that the ICR123's/CR123's are just a superior power source.

James....:thumbsup:

pm91

Newly Enlightened
It should be the black box with latch for Q5 and R2 (XR-E). Not sure if they have changed it for R2 (XP-E). :thinking:
The dark brown is normal, different batches different ano variations.

Ok, so the color is okay and I don't care about the box too much. I'm just trying to make sure I didn't get a return or something laying around that they decided to throw together. I know it's an R2, but how do I know if it's an R2 (XR-E) or an R2 (XP-E)? Which is the best LED of these three?

Zeruel, you've helped me before...many, many thanks!

Paul

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pleasure. :)

To differentiate, take a look at the 3rd and 4th/5th emitters.
AllEmitters.jpg

As for "best", like flashlights, depends what you're looking for. The XP-E is newer than XR-E, but generally (given the same conditions), the latter throws better. I'm no emitter expert, I sure my betters can break down further pros and cons of these 2 emitters.

I don't have all 3 versions of the defender, but you can view my, er short, write-up based on various D10 emitters here, if it's any help.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I have the R2 (XR-E) which apparently isn't the latest/most current offering. I guess it doesn't make that much difference, I guess :( I'm not sure which box comes with this light, but the box I got is like the one in the 3rd Edition of the D10 SP R2 in Zeruel's link.
Since it looks like I rec'd what I probably was supposed to get, I'd rather not say where I bought it from. I'll send you a PM.

It looks like the manufacturer's make new versions faster than the old versions sell.