2-4 Lumen?

drb

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a very low Lumen LED light? My father is looking for something just bright enough to find his way through the house in the dark. Thanks

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really small and not too expensive: photon freedom. Nice UI, well built, nice high for a coin cell light. Ramping brightness on-demand. My true EDC...

jankj

Enlightened
The quark immediately comes to mind. The tactical version can easily be programmed to meet your requirement exactly, the two lowest modes are about 0.2 and 3 lumens. You can program two modes (one for head tightened all the way, one for head loosened just a bit), and it's your choice if those two modes are the same or different.

I would program the "head tight" mode to the brightness you use most (3 lumens) because it is natural to tighten things when you assemble them. The "head loose" mode could be more powerful for occasional use, like the 70 lumens setting. Or just leave it all at 3 lumens for a super simple light...

Or the quark mini, which is smaller and sweeter and with a simple UI that doesn't require programming. The low setting (which always comes on) first is about 3 lumens. You need to do a off-on twist to change modes. Easy, and yet still not something you'd do by mistake.

Or the Nitecore EZ, but that one is brighter, I think (10 lumens at the lowest setting?). I own the quark AA, quark AA^2 and mini AA, but not the Nitecore.

All of these have separate models for AA or CR123A battery. The quark also comes as a two-cell option, which gives a longer light and better run time. Some people actually prefer a longer light, easier to hold and harder to misplace in some obscure place.

I think 3 lumens is the perfect allround indoor setting. The 0.2 lumens is fine when you want a tight "light disipline" to maintain night vision, not waking up sleeping childrens or partners etc, but the 3 lumens setting is more usable to find your way, look for things and so on. In particular if your eyes aren't night adjusted, like when you come from a bright room into your dark cellar.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try the Preon kit.
1.8 lumens on low in 1AAA configuration.
2.2 lumens on low in 2AAA configuration.

Quark mini AA/Quark MiNi AA Neutral-white Q35A3
2.7 lumens on low.

Get the neutral warm white versions of the lights. The warmer colour makes the lights feel less bright so a higher lumen # can be used.
Wandering around the house the light falls on surfaces 5 feet or more away unlike reading a menu in a dark restaurant only a foot away. I find the 10 warm lumens of my EZAAw acceptable. The 15 lumens of my L1T v2 is starting th get bright.
Flashlights have a bright hotspot. A flood without the hotspot can be used even if brighter such as the Zebralight. You can also put some satin scotch tape over a traditional flashlight to diffuse the hotspot.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Connexion X2. It has a low lower than 2-4, which I think is a little too bright for what you are asking for.

It runs off of one AA battery, so when the battery dies, he won't put the light in a drawer and never use it again.

chongyixiong

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Quark MiNi AA (if battery is an issue), if not the Quark MiNi 123.. both have a very low output and yes, just twist and on.. the 2.7 lumens / 3 lumens is actually quite bright for finding your way around the dark and is perfect.

Not to mention the price is cheap and it's a pretty good value flashlight!

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really small and not too expensive: photon freedom. Nice UI, well built, nice high for a coin cell light. Ramping brightness on-demand. My true EDC...
+1

The Photon Feedom is tough to beat for low output. The only downside is battery type.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01,

when sometimes a bit of more power might be needed: Quark mini

PS: that AA light is just that tad bigger to the E01, that its noticeable.
Tradeoff for higher power.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
C
... find his way through the house in the dark ...

Fenix E01,

when sometimes a bit of more power might be needed: Quark mini

PS: that AA light is just that tad bigger to the E01, that its noticeable.
Tradeoff for higher power.
Talking about tiny sizes reminds me ...
That does not have to be a pocket light. Probably sitting on the night table when not in use. Not hanging around papa's neck on a lanyard.

Changing my recommendation.

I'd go for a fat rubber coated 2AA with an LED drop-in. Or even the original incan bulb. You can get 12/24/36 packs of alkalines after christmas at quite reasonable prices.
The FAT 2AA or a 2C flashlight are easier to hold.

The 2AAA Preon with the click switch might still be OK.

mbw_151

Enlightened
You didn't set a budget, so I'll make a couple of higher end suggestions; Surefire E1L or E2L or a Ra EDC. These are great lights, but the Quark AA will run fine at the lower outputs on readily available alkalines for someone who might be shocked at paying $2 or more for a hard to find battery.

legendz

Newly Enlightened
Photon freedom is nice. It comes with a holder for around the neck carry. So you dont have to worry about dropping it during a late night bathroom run.You can also get them in red or green,whatever color you like.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I have several similar lights all around the house. They are also my battery vampires to use up all my "dead" alkalines.
The PR2-W1-WVR works down to 1 volt. Most other LED PR bulbs won't so can not be used as really good battery vampires.
I find the bulbs do not focus too well in fixed focus flashlights. I frosted the dome of one with some sandpaper and got a smooth big blob of light. Much better than the donut hole type beam the bulb usually makes.

The ability to work with even one AAA cell let me upgrade one of my Dorcy AAAs. See my avatar.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
AA mini-mag with a radioshack 276-017. Bonus points for a Kroll tailcap.

Or a 3P clone (FiveMega, or Solarforce if you are so inclined) with a P60 battery vampire mod using that same radioshack LED. Give him your 'used' CR123s and they will run forever in that thing.

I also use a Streamlight Microstream on an energizer lithium with a Fenix L series diffuser cone. It's a bit too bright for night time navigating, but a savior in a power outage.

loszabo

Enlightened
Good, old SureFire A2 with green-yellow LEDs and about 3 lumens in total. Perfect for moving in dark houses without notifying the neighbours, uhm, never mind... :whistle: