What cells are in a 6V battery? Sometimes AA!

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was at Walmart the other day, browsing the flashlight section. Saw a Brinkmann 6V lantern with a "super heavy duty" battery included; for one reason or another, I decided I needed it, and took it home. I didn't really think about the heft when putting it together, but I noticed it seemed to perform even worse with a ROP than a 4D light did. (I wasn't expecting good results, of course, just not that abysmal.)

Well, I figured maybe the battery was dead from bad shelf life or something, and I had a half-empty alkaline 6V around, so I found it and swapped them. That's when I noticed that the OEM battery was really light-weight. Being half-drained, the other battery performed about the same under load, confirming that the OEM battery was junk. Well, I popped it open, and what did I see:

That's right, there are 8 (4s2p) "DUKE CELL" alkaline (NOT heavy duty) AAs. (4 you can see, and another 4 in the battery still.) Interesting.

I'm not really complaining, as I don't expect the battery that came with any cheap light to be worth much. Now if these batteries were on the shelf by themselves, that'd be a whole different story.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
That crazy! I saw some 6V lantern batteries for $2 somewhere. I bet they have AAs in them too:sick2: