What are some good/quality EDC carabiners?

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching around for a while now and I see the Black Diamond Finbiner..

Are there any other nice ones out there?

This will be for keys to be hooked onto my belt loop

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
If you don't mind spending $10 to $20, go to a store (such as REI) that sells climbing gear. They have carabiners built to safetly support people - they also work great and last a LONG time carrying keyrings. I'm at about 15 years using one at work with only anodize worn off! I've been using one that has a 90 degree twisting, locking barrel on the gate so there is no risk of it being opened by mistake.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
About the size of all the cheap $2 ones you see with (not for climbing) written on them. About 3" x 1.75"

Like I mentioned. Most of the time it will be in my pocket or attached to my front belt loop.

Klesk

Newly Enlightened
Bison Designs carbon fiber carabiner, $20 at REI:

biner.jpg

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's really no answer to your question. Carabiners are overkill for holding keys.

You can use one for anything you want and in that case anyone will do the job.

I have plenty of caribiners for climbing but if I were to use a carabiner for keys I'd use the same cheap (not for climbing) one's that you already know about.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite ize do some nice ones,I have been looking for some recently as well.
Must admit when I buy a new Led Lenser light for the collection many come with a free carabiner.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beware that the Nite Ize S-Biners can come open. There are threads on how to prevent this (the most creative I have seen was to use a spring -- almost could make it look steam punk! Hmmm...).

Now for my two cents worth:

For simply holding keys together the cheaper and stronger way to go is to use a "quick link" that can be found at almost any hardware store where they have chain and rope. They come in a variety of sizes. If you use a pair of pliers or a small wrench to tighten them you'll never lose your keys. If you are really serious you could also use some Loctite. A snap link can be used to keep a few of them together or a few key rings. Combining a quick link and a snap link makes it cheaper, smaller, and more comfortable on a belt loop.

Locking gate carabiners are good for EDC but are plain overkill for just hooking together a few key rings and should never be used for a car ignition key - way too much bulk if you have multiple key rings attached. But they are funky and very useful for attaching things to a pack that you do not want to come loose. EMS, REI, and other stores carry a variety of them so you can look at what you want before you buy. I'd bet that there are probably as many or more carabiners sold for EDC as there are for climbing safety.

If you are worried about the clanking noise of metal on metal just use some electrical tape to wrap around the biner or the quick link/snap link.