Klarus
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New 123 Lummi (MiL)

Default New 123 Lummi (MiL)

New 123 Based Variable brightness Lummi. Current nick name MiL.
    The Proto will run of a regular CR123 & provide between Not much of a Lumen up to about 80 Lumens.
    On a RCR123/IMR16340 or LiFeP04 we can expect above 200 Lumens, again infinitely variable right down to a fraction of a Lumen.
    The brightness adjustment from Off to On is operated by simply rotating the very rear to the desired setting. Think dimmer switch.
    Its almost instant to go from Off to fully On, has like a soft start to it.
    There are no electronics as such & is all achieved by a Quantum Tunneling Compound & a simple mechanism.

The proto shown is not how a production unit will look, This is the best I can achieve on my small workshop CNC Lathe.
    The bezel will house our own Stainless Steel reflector to go with a choice of LEDs.
    I would like to offer The Cree XR-E & XP-G. Also The SST-50 as customer options.
    Also I am planing to mill out some material for ergonomics & styling that again could not be done properly in the WS.
    Other milling details such as logos & Tritium locator options will be added.
    I am hoping to add a spring Clip on the oposite side to the light output for hands free carry. I.e clip on to your jacket pocket etc.

Materials I plan to be a combination of Aluminium & Stainless Steel. Alu for the main body for excellent heat transfer & light weight.
    SS for the Bezel & threaded areas for hardwearing & smoothness. The Threads on the On Off variable brightness switch will be fine precise 0.5mm pitch.
    The switch does not unscrew to then take out the battery. There is an additional ring screwed in for battery removal. This has been designed to keep the battery snug & reliably electrically connected. No battery rattle at all even when well beyond off. O rings at all joints.

One main feature here is the 90 degree postion of the light output. Designed to add more use particularly hands free to your pocket torch/flashlight.
    Fully tail or head standing & also will lay on its side without rolling away.

I think I have about summed up the MiL for now. Aiming to get to the CNC shop next week to discuss manufacture & pricing.
    As always I look forward to your interest & valued opinions.

www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

Default Re: New 123 Lummi (MiL)

Wow. Is that gonna work with the new smaller LEDs, though?

Looks really cool to me. I'll be saving for one of those.

Could it switch on by accident? For example, if the switch were to rub against the fabric of your pocket?

Is there any danger of a flood version with the reflector not recessed quite so imagine for that kind of light more flood = better

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Rob,
    This light is very, very cool.
    I agree with you that a clip would be a very smart addition to the MiL.
    I'd be in for one!
    john

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Wow. Is that gonna work with the new smaller LEDs, though?
    Perhaps I do not understand your question? Why would smaller LED's cause a problem?

SRC. No as there is enough resistance to not rotate unwanted. An addition of a lock out feature would be easy to implement.

herulach, The reflector I use will provide a good balance between flood & spot. Choice of LED will play a big factor here also, so it will be a personal preference.

John, Brilliant
    www.Lummi.co.uk

Wow Rob,

That is utterly gorgeous - love the fresnel like reflector look - reminds me of looking into the front of a jet engine, an inspiration perhaps?

Presumably the beam will be an even one with elements of throw and flood? Can't wait for beamshots.

Love the clip idea too.

Yet again you have come up with something unique in this field - us mere mortals can only wonder where your designs will take us in the future. It should do very well indeed.

Oh God, something else to save up for. You're killing me!

PS - just seen your thread, Rob - you beat me to it! Glad to see I called a nice mix of throw and flood though!
    Last edited by Nyctophiliac; 01-22-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Speedy gonzales got there first!

Flashaholic

That is one outstanding looking light, love it! Maybe a clean version (similar to as shown) will be available? None of the fancy pants fluting, finning, grooving, and checking, or at least kept to a minimum ... minimalistic w/clip.
    Last edited by damn_hammer; 01-22-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Wow, might be my first Lummi light, guess I would be in for a SST-50 version

+1 for a clip, if possible including the option for a lanyard attachment

MiniLux
    Last edited by MiniLux; 01-22-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    P1D, LD01, T1/TK10/11/20/40, E01, HP10, P10Ti, DBS R5, CL1H V3 R2/V4 MC-E, Jet M, H30/31/50/51/501/60/SC30/60, Spear, NDI, NEX, D10, EX10, EZ AA/CR2, M20, S20, S2, L2, LF2X/2XT/3XT/5XT, ED-P71/P72, L-Mini 2/PLI/P-Rocket/X-Thrower, Q RGB, Mini 123/CR2/CR2Ti, Turbo 2AA/CR123, AA Tactical, VX Ultra, T100C2, DeCree-XPG

I would be up for one of those too.
    The SST version interests me, as my Raw with that LED is killer.
    as soon as you give the word.

Thumbs up Re: New 123 Lummi (MiL)

Am I the only one who thinks that reflector looks like a turbine? [edit]No, I'm not...[/edit]

I'm certainly looking forward to further details, anyway. (We'd still be able to change emitters with this one?)
    Last edited by herbicide; 01-22-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    'Welcome to the dark side... well... bright side... really, really bright side...' - RyanA

wow what a nice looking light. Lummi you have style! What will that reflector pattern add to the light? It looks fancy but will it smooth out the beam?
    are you listening?

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that reflector looks like a turbine?

I'm certainly looking forward to further details, anyway.
    The Reflector used in the proto is a Fraen reflector bought in. Its plastic & not what I plan on using for the MiL. Just something I had in the WS about the same dimensions as what will be made from SS by us.

Thank you all for the positive initial response.
    www.Lummi.co.uk

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

very cool indeed.

i definately like the smooth look (maybe small knurlings slots dimples milled into the tail cap for better grip. and some more aestethics..)

the angle light is cool option.

the cr123/rcr123 is convinient as it is atleast somewhat common battery to use and find. good move.

quick clarification: will it start to ramp up or down from off? i prefer ramping up from really low and up.

..i for one am intrested.. and hoping for decent (low) pricing too..
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

That is very cool

Quote Originally Posted by orb View Post
    Perhaps I do not understand your question? Why would smaller LED's cause a problem?
    Well, I wasn't sure to what extent the body of the light was made specifically to use a Cree XR-E, like the way the current Wee is, hence why I asked. If the reflector is replaceable, then obviously that's not an issue.

Nice one Rob, you've done it again, another great idea with that Lummi touch of style.

Re : spring Clip - I think this is a must have item for this design. You could use the flat of the clip to have a cut out "Lummi" or "MiL" etc, that would be cool.

Flashaholic*

Excellent Rob, I think the anglehead design is a nice touch and unique for Lummi.

I can think of many uses for this light already.

Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    very cool indeed.

i definately like the smooth look (maybe small knurlings slots dimples milled into the tail cap for better grip. and some more aestethics..)

the angle light is cool option.

the cr123/rcr123 is convinient as it is atleast somewhat common battery to use and find. good move.

quick clarification: will it start to ramp up or down from off? i prefer ramping up from really low and up.

..i for one am intrested.. and hoping for decent (low) pricing too..
    Yes starts @ low & then as you rotate the VBC the brightness increases.

Essexman
    www.Lummi.co.uk

Short Demo of the MiL proto uploaded here:
    http://vimeo.com/8929846
    www.Lummi.co.uk

Great video

I love the superlow....very important to me. Looks SEXY

Enlightened

I like the concept. Whilst I loved the design of the Raw models -- a great hand carry -- it's not quite as convenient for those pesky tasks that need two hands (like putting up tents in cruddy weather). So +1 for the clip on the reverse (removable clip or no? not sure what is feasible or what I'd prefer).

I like the minimalist look. I'm really not a fan of fussy fluting but then I tend to like the subtle cosmetic/ergonomic touches you finish your lights with. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

And damn do I wish I had variable brightness control on my WeeTi! Great feature.

I'm looking forward to finding out more: beamshots, weight, output, battery life and yes, price. Can I justify another addition to my Lummi family? I better start saving just in case.
    In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away
    Antione de Saint-Exupery

Wow My Lummic collection decreased from 18 to only 1 now (not because I didn´t like them, I just sold the custom lights I wasn´t using) but I´m afraid it will be two again when the MiL is available. Pretty good concept, VBC is too cool to pass and I´m sure Rob will come up with some subtile refinements for the design that makes the Lummi lights so exceptional.

Eric

Enlightened

Dynamite, truly a great addition to the Lummi line. Let me echo the desire for the minimalist appearance. I view a spring clip as essential for a 90' offset head. The "infinite" output adjustability is more than welcome.

Congratulations, really a superb concept. Looking forward to it, eagerly.

Unenlightened

Looks awesome! I'd love one.

Rob,

You are the Tony Stark of flashlights!

Brilliant, man.

Count me in!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Rob, The MiL looks awesome! However, I can't wait for the VBC Wee XP-G to be released. Do you have an projected date when the Wees will be available?
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Flashaholic*

Looks great, Rob!
    Haven't added a Lummi to the collection in a while...might be the time!!

Enlightened

Already got 3 lummi lights and now looks like a fourth will soon be aquired.
    What a great looking light can't wait for more details.

Nice Rob, very very nice. Is the light watertight? Do you plan in milling or knurling the twist switch? It looks small and slippery right now for some of us with large hands. Trit slots? A clip for front pocket attaching would be sweet, or some sort of recessed lanyard slot. I love the VB also. Good work.