New 123 Lummi (MiL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
New 123 Based Variable brightness Lummi. Current nick name MiL.
The Proto will run of a regular CR123 & provide between Not much of a Lumen up to about 80 Lumens.
On a RCR123/IMR16340 or LiFeP04 we can expect above 200 Lumens, again infinitely variable right down to a fraction of a Lumen.
The brightness adjustment from Off to On is operated by simply rotating the very rear to the desired setting. Think dimmer switch.
Its almost instant to go from Off to fully On, has like a soft start to it.
There are no electronics as such & is all achieved by a Quantum Tunneling Compound & a simple mechanism.

The proto shown is not how a production unit will look, This is the best I can achieve on my small workshop CNC Lathe.
The bezel will house our own Stainless Steel reflector to go with a choice of LEDs.
I would like to offer The Cree XR-E & XP-G. Also The SST-50 as customer options.
Also I am planing to mill out some material for ergonomics & styling that again could not be done properly in the WS.
Other milling details such as logos & Tritium locator options will be added.
I am hoping to add a spring Clip on the oposite side to the light output for hands free carry. I.e clip on to your jacket pocket etc.

Materials I plan to be a combination of Aluminium & Stainless Steel. Alu for the main body for excellent heat transfer & light weight.
SS for the Bezel & threaded areas for hardwearing & smoothness. The Threads on the On Off variable brightness switch will be fine precise 0.5mm pitch.
The switch does not unscrew to then take out the battery. There is an additional ring screwed in for battery removal. This has been designed to keep the battery snug & reliably electrically connected. No battery rattle at all even when well beyond off. O rings at all joints.

One main feature here is the 90 degree postion of the light output. Designed to add more use particularly hands free to your pocket torch/flashlight.
Fully tail or head standing & also will lay on its side without rolling away.

I think I have about summed up the MiL for now. Aiming to get to the CNC shop next week to discuss manufacture & pricing.
As always I look forward to your interest & valued opinions. :thanks:

P1060081.jpg

P1060085.jpg

P1060083.jpg

P1060086.jpg

P1060090.jpg

P1060092.jpg

SRC

Newly Enlightened
Looks really cool to me. I'll be saving for one of those.

Could it switch on by accident? For example, if the switch were to rub against the fabric of your pocket?

herulach

Enlightened
Is there any danger of a flood version with the reflector not recessed quite so imagine for that kind of light more flood = better

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Rob,
This light is very, very cool.
I agree with you that a clip would be a very smart addition to the MiL.
I'd be in for one!
:thumbsup: john

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Is that gonna work with the new smaller LEDs, though?

Perhaps I do not understand your question? Why would smaller LED's cause a problem?

SRC. No as there is enough resistance to not rotate unwanted. An addition of a lock out feature would be easy to implement.

herulach, The reflector I use will provide a good balance between flood & spot. Choice of LED will play a big factor here also, so it will be a personal preference.

John, Brilliant :thanks:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Rob,

That is utterly gorgeous - love the fresnel like reflector look - reminds me of looking into the front of a jet engine, an inspiration perhaps?

Presumably the beam will be an even one with elements of throw and flood? Can't wait for beamshots.

Love the clip idea too.

Yet again you have come up with something unique in this field - us mere mortals can only wonder where your designs will take us in the future. It should do very well indeed.

Oh God, something else to save up for. You're killing me!

:thumbsup:
:paypal:

PS - just seen your thread, Rob - you beat me to it! Glad to see I called a nice mix of throw and flood though!

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Enlightened
That is one outstanding looking light, love it! Maybe a clean version (similar to as shown) will be available? None of the fancy pants fluting, finning, grooving, and checking, or at least kept to a minimum ... minimalistic w/clip.

Last edited:

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Wow, might be my first Lummi light, guess I would be in for a SST-50 version :party:

+1 for a clip, if possible including the option for a lanyard attachment ;)

MiniLux

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be up for one of those too.
The SST version interests me, as my Raw with that LED is killer.
:paypal: as soon as you give the word.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only one who thinks that reflector looks like a turbine? [edit]No, I'm not...[/edit]

I'm certainly looking forward to further details, anyway. (We'd still be able to change emitters with this one?)

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
wow what a nice looking light. Lummi you have style! What will that reflector pattern add to the light? It looks fancy but will it smooth out the beam?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one who thinks that reflector looks like a turbine?

I'm certainly looking forward to further details, anyway.

The Reflector used in the proto is a Fraen reflector bought in. Its plastic & not what I plan on using for the MiL. Just something I had in the WS about the same dimensions as what will be made from SS by us.

Thank you all for the positive initial response.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
very cool indeed.

i definately like the smooth look (maybe small knurlings slots dimples milled into the tail cap for better grip. and some more aestethics..)

the angle light is cool option.

the cr123/rcr123 is convinient as it is atleast somewhat common battery to use and find. good move.

quick clarification: will it start to ramp up or down from off? i prefer ramping up from really low and up.

..i for one am intrested.. and hoping for decent (low) pricing too.. :)

fyrstormer

Banned
Perhaps I do not understand your question? Why would smaller LED's cause a problem?
Well, I wasn't sure to what extent the body of the light was made specifically to use a Cree XR-E, like the way the current Wee is, hence why I asked. If the reflector is replaceable, then obviously that's not an issue.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one Rob, you've done it again, another great idea with that Lummi touch of style.

Re : spring Clip - I think this is a must have item for this design. You could use the flat of the clip to have a cut out "Lummi" or "MiL" etc, that would be cool.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent Rob, I think the anglehead design is a nice touch and unique for Lummi.

I can think of many uses for this light already.

Sign me up!

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
very cool indeed.

i definately like the smooth look (maybe small knurlings slots dimples milled into the tail cap for better grip. and some more aestethics..)

the angle light is cool option.

the cr123/rcr123 is convinient as it is atleast somewhat common battery to use and find. good move.

quick clarification: will it start to ramp up or down from off? i prefer ramping up from really low and up.

..i for one am intrested.. and hoping for decent (low) pricing too.. :)

Yes starts @ low & then as you rotate the VBC the brightness increases.

Essexman :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.