Old Pila Charger Question: LEDs Blink Red To Green.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the old, original Pila chargers. My Pila cells are old too. When I put the cells in the charger, the LEDs just slowly blink red to green.

Since the original Pila chargers didn't come with any sort of manual and I don't remember what that blinking means, I would appreciate anyone who knows, letting me know. Thanks.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just let it continue blinking and it finally turned to a steady green so I guess everything is okay.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gene,

I just wanted to jog your memory...

That charger utilizes the protection circuit in the cell to terminate the charge. If you charge an unprotected cell, it will end up over charged. Also, the charge current is a little high for some of the smaller cells like a R-CR123.

Tom

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tom but I did remember these original Pila chargers tended to overcharge some. I've never charged anything but my old Pila 168S cells in this charger and no others.

I just had never remembered seeing the LEDs blink green/red/green before. Like I said the blinking stopped and they went to a solid green after awhile and both cells read around 4.10V after I took them off the charger.