Tactical Tailcap

tmg57

Newly Enlightened
For my first post I am sorry to bring up a topic that has likely been discussed at length, but I can't get specific enough with the search terms. There is a lot of information out there!

My question is this: Surefire describes lights with press for temporary on, twist for constant on switches as "tactically correct". What makes this switch more "correct" than a click on?

jankj

Enlightened
This is my impression based on a little reading here on CPF on the subject. A little word of caution - I don't do or have (hardly ever) done anything remotely tactical or tacticool...

Surefire's idea is that pressing the switch should always give you momentary on, no matter how hard you press the switch. If someone shoots at you, and you want a brief flash to spot the bad guys (possibly blinding them as well), but mistakenly turns the light on... guess what? They will aim for the light.

Add that your coordination is very much reduced in a high stress situation (like when someone is shooting at you). If you have a "tacticool" switch (light press = momentary on, hard press = click on) it is very easy to press the switch too hard, giving you "always on" instead of "momentary on".

These words are based on several years of hard earned experience as an operator in the chairborne tactical expert commando assault group, and I've got my scars to prove it! (those paper cuts and bum rashes were nasty, I can tell you). Since I've never used a flashlight with a weapon I'm an absolute master of these tactics!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additionally... with a press (momentary) & twist on/off switch design the light can easily be disabled so as to NOT switch on during carriage, unexpectantly when being handled OR during an inopportune moment ;)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long long long story short:

Tactical situations are stressful. If not, you have a problem. With stress that comes from those situations, you run into a problem with man kind where you lose motor skills. When motor skills are down, simple gear means that you can use what you need, the way it's supposed to.

Mutli-mode, where the tail cap is used to change modes (ie. cycling through them) can cause problems, because it forces you too think more about what you are doing. Save your motor skills for something else.

Single mode, with a forward clickie, is safer, but not safest. Again, in stress you might press to hard and turn it on. The extra seconds to figure it out, while under stress, could be bad. Of course no one is worrying about this in reality.

Twisties, like you are talking about, is the best because (and the golden answer is) no matter how hard you press under stress, you won't turn it on accidentally.

Voila. My food is ready.

Latest posts