Olympia Products

Thread: Is the Nitecore Defender Infinity Worth the Price?

Default Is the Nitecore Defender Infinity Worth the Price?

After reviewing specs for the NDI, I think it is a great flashlight. I appreciate that it has a high and low. I appreciate that it's simple and seems to be a good, quality build.

What I don't like about it is that it's 80 bucks.

By price alone, I start thinking that maybe 2 Quark Mini's would be the better buy.

So that being said, here is my question. Does the NDI have such an outstanding build and reliability to justify spending the 80 dollars on it? I know it's a bit of a different beast than the mini, but I guess I'm just trying to understand why such a small light with average lumen ratings has such a high price tag.

Is it one of those "used by the military in the worst conditions" flashlight that would justify this? Because I'd gladly buy it for 80 if it's something that you would trust taking into the Amazon Rainforest or something.

Thanks.

Default Re: Is the Nitecore Defender Infinity Worth the Price?

I've always wanted an NDI since it came out. Then 4senvens did a nasty sale of it think 40% off so I bought one. I wanted no rings so I got the NDI GD+ version. It's a very nice light, but I only used it a couple of times. Having both, I prefer my D10 or Quark AA tactical NW. I haven't seen a light that would replace my D10 for EDC. I say get a Quark AA tactical you get to choose your modes .
    My .02
    Current EDC: BA10 & E01 (back to old school)

Use the coupon code for CPF users at GoingGear.com Was less than $60, I ordered mine, I think it's a fair price as I too wouldn't like to pay $80.

The D10 is the better EDC light. The only advantage I can see to the NDI is that it is a simple clicky. You can't accidentally put it in a low mode or strobe like you can on a D10. Tighten the head for full power, or loosen it to the pre-set level. I guess that makes it more of a "tactical" light. All the clicky does is turn it on or off. I keep mine in the car for emergencies and such. I carry the D10.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroma View Post
    So that being said, here is my question. Does the NDI have such an outstanding build and reliability to justify spending the 80 dollars on it? I know it's a bit of a different beast than the mini, but I guess I'm just trying to understand why such a small light with average lumen ratings has such a high price tag.

Is it one of those "used by the military in the worst conditions" flashlight that would justify this? Because I'd gladly buy it for 80 if it's something that you would trust taking into the Amazon Rainforest or something.

I would say NDI is different from Quark Mini, in terms of design and UI.
    For one, NDI's a clicky and Quark Mini is twisty. NDI enables the user to activate one single mode all the time, no matter how many times or repeatedly you click it. The other modes come in when you loosen or twist the head (low, strobe and ramp selection). It military style and has slight crenelated bezel for, well, defence and checking if the light is off when placed head down on a table.

Quark Mini's strength lies in its superb compact size and simple 3 mode via twisting the head. It uses the latest R5 emitter and also available in titanium now.

Both are great lights but, I think, for different needs. I would edc the NDI and have the Mini AA as my keychain or backup.

And yes, I would and did take the NDI into a forest.... couple of times.

Flashaholic

i love my NDI, i've got one from each generation (including the sterile one). It is my EDC light.

I think it's well worth the money that I paid for it (on average 60).

my only complaint is the "teeth" on the front of the bezel, for an AA light, it's really unnecessary.

I've not been nearly jungles here in california, but I have taken it to deserts and it performed always.

Super Moderator

Not a good thread title...

Threads that start this way are usually taken to be an invitation to trolls to jump in and bash the product. If that happens here, the thread will be closed and offenders suspended.
    Resistance is futile...

That sounds like an invitation for the OP to EDIT the thread title.

"Worth the Price" is in the "Eye of the Beholder"
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

I have the NDI, love it, shop around and use coupons.

The NDI needs a proper clip, like that found on the extreme.

I put an XP-G R4 in mine. But without a clip, it is bound to desk duty.

A custom lanyard and a mcgizmo clip and the NDI carries comfortably in my jeans pocket all day.

It's definitely worth the price tag, though you shouldn't have to pay more than $65 for one.

A NDI, 2 AW 14500 Li-ion (the extra for a spare), and a charger and you've got a great EDC, imo.

A 14500 compares to the size of a AA?

Q1) Is it worth $80?
    Ans: Most definitely, if its ergonomics, UI, size, appearance, run time, beam pattern are what you are looking for.

Q2) Does the NDI have such an outstanding build and reliability to justify spending the 80 dollars on it?
    Ans: I don't think I have seen very many complaints of failure here on CPF, so YES. Although I would not go into the Amazon rainforest without a backup of some sort and a fire starter.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by horizonseeker View Post
    my only complaint is the "teeth" on the front of the bezel, for an AA light, it's really unnecessary.
    My NDI won't stand on its tailcap (not sure if some do and some don't), sometimes I stand it on the bezel and because of the teeth the light shines through and I can tell that I've left it on or I realize that I've left it on longer than I thought.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by horizonseeker View Post
    You could do this:

I like my NDI. IMHO the best AA light styling and UI wise. The only concern is the switch. They are not as reliable.
    Mine is die introduction model. I dont't know if they have a better switch now.
    Last edited by rolling; 01-29-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    ... keep on rollin

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pm91 View Post
    A 14500 compares to the size of a AA?
    Yes - same size. But the 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable is 3.7V, compared to the 1.5V of the AA.
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by rolling View Post
    You could do this:

I like my NDI. IMHO the best AA light styling and UI wise. The only concern is the switch. They are not as reliable.
    Mine is die introduction model. I dont't know if they have a better switch now.
    called nightcore and you get the new improved switch, i have the verry first generation introduction model as well and the new switch is much stiffer now. Feels just more reliable

I have the first version on my duty belt and its working good all the times. With 14500 Li-Io its bright enough for me. With a short turn of the head you get your own programmed brightness.
    Michael

Flashaholic

there is a NDI on sale at the market place for $50, or you can get that and the D20 for 90 together.

It was when I bought it. But if I have to buy today, I'd look at the Quark series first.

The NDI just looks and feels good. It's an AA done right. I happen to like the fact that it's regulated to a simlar level regardless of battery chemistry, nimh or li-ion.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I like mine a lot. I also removed the teeth. It was replaced with the Jet 1 Pro Version 3 but only because it was a lot brighter. I still like my NDI though. I may have a R4 put in it.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Is it easy to change the emitter ?