HDS Systems

Thread: EOS with conical reflector

Default EOS with conical reflector

I don't remember seeing this mod done to a Princeton Tec EOS before...

It's very simple... I took a Princeton Tec EOS that I'd previously modded with a Seoul P4 LED (bin U2SWOH), and replaced the stock optic with a Carclo 20mm Wide Angle Reflector:

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut884

All I had to do was trim the three little tabs at the front of the optic holder, and fix the new reflector in place with a dab of epoxy. The beam is an 80-degree PURE FLOOD. Very nice! It's like a 1/2-power Zebralight, at 1/2 the price.

The beam has no hotspot whatsoever, but there are a few tiny artifacts. They're not noticible in actual use, unless you're using the headlamp to hunt white walls
    Last edited by vtunderground; 04-08-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: updated old links

Default Re: EOS with conical reflector

What does "EOS" mean in flashlights? There seem to be a lot of names with EOS in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo Cree View Post
    What does "EOS" mean in flashlights? There seem to be a lot of names with EOS in them.
    Eos was the Greek goddess of the dawn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos

Princeton Tec EOS: http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/65

edit: Princeton Tec spells the name "Eos", with just the "E" capitalized. However, I've seen a number of retailers (and people, including myself) habitually type it in all capital letters, for some reason.
    Last edited by vtunderground; 01-27-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Do you find the hard transition from light to dark annoying at all? I'm using the Carclo 10170 in my current headlamp build and am planning on diffusing it for a softer edge.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCaver View Post
    Do you find the hard transition from light to dark annoying at all? I'm using the Carclo 10170 in my current headlamp build and am planning on diffusing it for a softer edge.
    Yes it can be annoying, but the transition from light to dark with the 10170 is the same as with any other reflector. I think diffusing the beam might work well, as long as you don't lose any noticeable output.

Thanks. Great mod by the way.

I find I wish my Zebralight H50 with the 120 degree pure flood was more like my stock 4 Mode EOS Princeton Tec.

I put a Carclo 15degree (medium in the 6, 15, 30 degree range offered) 20mm Luxeon optic (from Photonfanatic a couple of years ago) in my Eos. I have a high CRI SSC in it now. It has a decent spot, but massive corona tapering all the way out to the edge of the spill which tapers off without a hard ege cut-off. It has some artifacts only seen on white wall. I keep the Eos even though I have a ZL H30 due to it's more useful light distribution.

Beautiful beam for working! Righteous mod. I prefer the hard-edge cutoff; must be a personal preference.

vtunderground - thanks for posting the link for the reflector. What kind of throw do you get with the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayHermit View Post
    vtunderground - thanks for posting the link for the reflector. What kind of throw do you get with the mod?
    More throw than from a bare LED, but less than if it had an optic or a parabolic reflector. It's definitely not a throw light.