Decent but cheap flashlights(does that exist?)

jimbo231

Enlightened
Are there any decent flashlights that are fairly cheap. I'd rather pay a little more then the deal extreme stuff but get something reliable. I'm not out to spend as much as say a fenix though. Are there any ones in between?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Fenix lights are out of your budget, you might want to look at Romisen flashlights. For the money, I've always been impressed by their lights.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Got some Mini-Maglites (2AA - Rebel version, multimodes)
at Home Depot, for $9.88 each ! Including belt holster, & Duracells.

That's gotta' be one of the Biggest Bargains of the Year !

:thumbsup:
_

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO just the very cheap brands are money lost and pocket cloth... something like less than $30 for a whole light. ;)

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having more fun using a $20 (approx) Streamlight Stylus Pro 2AAA penlight than with my more expensive and complex lights. I've been carrying the Stylus Pro daily.

Well built, forward clicky tail switch with momentary action is super easy to use, long runtime, and great Streamlight warranty.

There are several video reviews of the Stylus Pro on YouTube.com

The latest (4th generation) Inova X1 is also a great $20 light. It is powered by 1 AA battery and made in USA.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might help if you give us an idea of what type of light you want as well as price range. By the way, Fenix has some cheap, decent lights. Check out the E series (EO1-$12.50 and E20-$35). The next step up in price would be some of the multilevel lights like the LD01 ($40) and the L1T and L2T versions 2.0 ($45.50-46.50). Some cheap lights would include the newer Rebel Maglites, ITP A3 EOS ($20-1AAA), basically all ITP lights actually, Some Coleman Cree XR-E lights (especially the 2AA 115 lumen one for $25), Duracell Daylight Cree XR-E lights (around $25), Gerber Infinity Ultra, Inova X2. The problem you'll find with getting cheap, good flashlights is that most of the good ones have to be purchased online, and shipping can kill the deal. There are some decent cheap flashlights at Walmart, Target, Lowes, Costco, and many other places. Start there.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sell romison at dealextreme. Are they really better then the other lights on there?

With reference to DX, the quality of their lights is a lottery. I've had lights from there with no complaints, others have been dead or did not work as advertised or had flickering issues etc etc etc. However, their customer service will assist you but it may take a long time.

With shiningbeam, Bryan's service is excellent. My light was shipped within 24 hours and his response time to emails is also very fast and very helpful. Quality wise, so far 100% of my orders are exactly as advertised and working extremely well.

Take a look at the Romisens from shiningbeam. It's just a few dollars more.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some Mini-Maglites (2AA - Rebel version, multimodes)
at Home Depot, for $9.88 each ! Including belt holster, & Duracells.

That's gotta' be one of the Biggest Bargains of the Year !

:thumbsup:
_
Is that still available? I got a bunch of them at that price right before Christmas...the sale ended 12/26. Is it on sale now again? :confused:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is that still available? I got a bunch of them at that price right before Christmas...the sale ended 12/26. Is it on sale now again? :confused:

my local HD stores are back up to $21.

OP... Lighthound sells Ultrafire, yes the same stuff available from DX. The difference is you get some buyer protection with Lighthounds store warranty. DX does have a warranty and RMA replacement, but it takes at least 30 days to get items turned around (based on my experience).

jimbo231

Enlightened
Might help if you give us an idea of what type of light you want as well as price range. By the way, Fenix has some cheap, decent lights. Check out the E series (EO1-$12.50 and E20-$35). The next step up in price would be some of the multilevel lights like the LD01 ($40) and the L1T and L2T versions 2.0 ($45.50-46.50). Some cheap lights would include the newer Rebel Maglites, ITP A3 EOS ($20-1AAA), basically all ITP lights actually, Some Coleman Cree XR-E lights (especially the 2AA 115 lumen one for $25), Duracell Daylight Cree XR-E lights (around $25), Gerber Infinity Ultra, Inova X2. The problem you'll find with getting cheap, good flashlights is that most of the good ones have to be purchased online, and shipping can kill the deal. There are some decent cheap flashlights at Walmart, Target, Lowes, Costco, and many other places. Start there.
Cheap like $30 to $50, takes 18650's, and Is really bright with good throw. Like over 200 real lumens. I would like it to be LED also.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
my local HD stores are back up to $21.

OP... Lighthound sells Ultrafire, yes the same stuff available from DX. The difference is you get some buyer protection with Lighthounds store warranty. DX does have a warranty and RMA replacement, but it takes at least 30 days to get items turned around (based on my experience).

+1 on the time taken, to share, i ordered a Q2 drop in, waited about 5 months then they told me that it was no longer being produced.

jimbo231 said:
Cheap like $30 to $50, takes 18650's, and Is really bright with good throw. Like over 200 real lumens. I would like it to be LED also.

well, you can take a look at these lights, very decent for the money. Depending on the configuration of the light, size of reflector, smooth/OP, whether it uses an optic or not a 100 lumen light can possibly throw much further than a 200 lumen light.

Also, based on the way our eyes perceive light (i'm too dumb to get it) apparently it takes a whole lot more lumens before we can perceive the difference i.e. 180 and 200 is not going to be that stark a difference.

3rd, higher lumens means it needs more power so if you're running on 1 cell, then runtime will be affected, e.g. Fenix E01, 10 lumens (or was it 20) running for 10 hrs on 1xAAA vs my Jetbeam Jet III on max 225 lumens on 1x18650 for 1hr 45 minutes.

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce

But I wouldn't call them cheap, it's more like decent lights, decent price. ;)

Plus Solarforce makes a bunch of accessories allowing you to customize your light.

Everybody loves (or seems to) the Maratac AAA. Great little pocket light.

Geoff

Or the new AA version with the L/M/H, still a small light for a good price.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Watch the shiningbeam website for the MG L-mini II. It sounds like it would meet your requirements.

I have two and absolutely love them.

--flatline